The extra ram of the 1020 are true for the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego866

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
good friends, wanted to know if lumia 1020 in terms of ram memory, i.e. as 1520, both have 2 gigabytes of ram real and the system, games etc can use them? or 1020 has the extra ram only for the camera and not for the system? a greeting

Sent from my RM-875_eu_spain_375 using Tapatalk

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
From my understanding the additional one gigabyte of RAM is "hardwired" to the camera, so the OS itself can't really access it, but the camera (or specific camera apps?) can. This would mean even though the 1020 is listed as a 2 GB Windows Phone device, it behaves as the usual 1 GB phones like 920 or 925. Yet the camera takes advantage or even need the additional gig of RAM to work better or even just work.

The 1520 or 930/Icon on the opposite have 2 GB of "traditional" RAM which can be accessed and used completely by the system, because the inferior camera module doesn't seem to need dedicated RAM.

Before you request any sources of that statement: I don't have any at hand, this was stated a couple of times in the past here by several WPC members, I also remember a topic where a 1020 only showed 1 GB using a hardware information utility. People explained this is normal, because the OS can only see one gigabyte, because the other one is exclusive to the camera.
I also remember I read a similar side note on a review of the 1020, don't know though if it was here on WPC or over at All About Windows Phone.

diego866

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding the additional one gigabyte of RAM is "hardwired" to the camera, so the OS itself can't really access it, but the camera (or specific camera apps?) can. This would mean even though the 1020 is listed as a 2 GB Windows Phone device, it behaves as the usual 1 GB phones like 920 or 925. Yet the camera takes advantage or even need the additional gig of RAM to work better or even just work.

The 1520 or 930/Icon on the opposite have 2 GB of "traditional" RAM which can be accessed and used completely by the system, because the inferior camera module doesn't seem to need dedicated RAM.

Before you request any sources of that statement: I don't have any at hand, this was stated a couple of times in the past here by several WPC members, I also remember a topic where a 1020 only showed 1 GB using a hardware information utility. People explained this is normal, because the OS can only see one gigabyte, because the other one is exclusive to the camera.

I also remember I read a similar side note on a review of the 1020, don't know though if it was here on WPC or over at All About Windows Phone.

thanks

Sent from my RM-875_eu_spain_375 using Tapatalk

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Aye but as far as I see it, the amount of ram is obsolete on WP. Games r smooth with 1 GB and with 2 GB. Multitasking as well.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned (thank you all), this topic is already being discussed here. Please ask your questions in that thread. Keeping the number of threads in line with the number of topics makes it easier and faster for all of our members to find what they are looking for.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes