Questions from a n00b on Windows Phone :)

Mr Shield

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello to you all, this is actually my first time here and cause of that, you might expect a few questions... Well, you have a few in a second.
My wife is looking for a new phone, in Sweden at the moment, the Nokia Lumia 925 is going for 2200SEK, roughly $334, which is really cheap for a phone overall with that performance (I think?)
We have compared all the options in this pricerange and came to the conclusion that this is actually the best options for her.
Now ladies and gentlemen, lets go to my questions.

1. How is the phone in general? Is the camera fast to take picture and then return to the camera, or is it like you have to accept each photo and edit it every time? Sometimes we want to snapshot the good moment with our baby (4 month old) and would not like to wait, just shoot shoot shoot if you know what I mean
2. If you compare the quality of the pictures to other phones within the Android community, where does this camera land? I got a Xperia Z1 myself and it takes really good pictures.
3. How is the apps comparing to Android apps? Is it as well developed? Was thinking about Facebook, Tumblr, Youtube for example.
4. Is the appstore really that thin as everybody say it is?
5. Do you think the deal with Nokia and MS would impact on the updates for the phones?
6. The hardware in the phone is pretty outdated, but does it still do the job? It is on the other hand on another platform and It might just be optimized properly for it?
7. How long does it take to get used to WP from Android? My wife is using the Nexus 4 now, but the camera is beneath contempt.
8. How does it work with the phone in Windows? Is it like Android that you just drag and drop mp3, videos and such to it?

Would really appreciate if someone could answer this questions for us, cause this price is really killing us, to cheap for beeing Sweden ;)

Happy Easter to you all!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1) I have the Nokia 1520, never had the 925. But the camera's on the Nokia's seem to be exceptional. the 1020 being more in line with a SDLR.
2) Most camera's on the Nokia's will outdo the Androids.
3 & 4) Apps, it is still slim, but increasing at a rate faster than Android did when it was just a couple years old. I use 2 different FB apps because one doesn't seem to do it all. But it works for me, YouTube is not officially on-board, my MetroTube and toib make a great YouTube replacement that works as well as the original.
5) I think it will be all good.
6) "Outdated" is a word that isn't a issue with WP, it runs smoother than Android even on the cheapest phone. But as the integration of Xbox and WP goes on, it might need more power to have both.
7) That depends on the user. I took it like butter on bread, smooth as silk. (Apps are there, just maybe not under the same name)
8) Don't understand this one. But I have a sd card in mine, so when I first bought the card, I hooked it up to my computer and copied all my music to it, then I put it in the phone.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mr Shield

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
1) I have the Nokia 1520, never had the 925. But the camera's on the Nokia's seem to be exceptional. the 1020 being more in line with a SDLR.
2) Most camera's on the Nokia's will outdo the Androids.
3 & 4) Apps, it is still slim, but increasing at a rate faster than Android did when it was just a couple years old. I use 2 different FB apps because one doesn't seem to do it all. But it works for me, YouTube is not officially on-board, my MetroTube and toib make a great YouTube replacement that works as well as the original.
5) I think it will be all good.
6) "Outdated" is a word that isn't a issue with WP, it runs smoother than Android even on the cheapest phone. But as the integration of Xbox and WP goes on, it might need more power to have both.
7) That depends on the user. I took it like butter on bread, smooth as silk. (Apps are there, just maybe not under the same name)
8) Don't understand this one. But I have a sd card in mine, so when I first bought the card, I hooked it up to my computer and copied all my music to it, then I put it in the phone.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hey, thank you for the fast answer.
This help abit yes, we are really investigating all the options and comments regarding the Nokia phones, It seems to have a good user rating on our swedish site (8.53) and almost everyone loves it and many of em are actually comming from Android to this one.

I guess we try this one, I mean, changes could be good somethinges ey? ;)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
First of all:
Welcome to WPC Mr. Sheild
The best place on the web for WP questions.

Hello to you all, this is actually my first time here and cause of that, you might expect a few questions... Well, you have a few in a second.
My wife is looking for a new phone, in Sweden at the moment, the Nokia Lumia 925 is going for 2200SEK, roughly $334, which is really cheap for a phone overall with that performance (I think?)
We have compared all the options in this pricerange and came to the conclusion that this is actually the best options for her.
Now ladies and gentlemen, lets go to my questions.
Allow me to try my best to answer even though I have the 8.1 developer preview installed.
Others I'm sure will chime in.

1. How is the phone in general? Is the camera fast to take picture and then return to the camera, or is it like you have to accept each photo and edit it every time? Sometimes we want to snapshot the good moment with our baby (4 month old) and would not like to wait, just shoot shoot shoot if you know what I mean
My opinion:
Excellent device as far as look and feel very elegant and artful.
I enjoy using the camera. The camera opens from lock with a press of the camera button on the right side of the device.
After taking a pic if you press and hold the camera button again the camera comes up again ready to shoot.
There are 2 apps for taking pics of kids that may be helpful, one is called "blink" and then there is Nokia SmartCam both shoot in succession. Be advised resolution will be lower.
This phone at the latest lower price is worth it for the camera alone.
2. If you compare the quality of the pictures to other phones within the Android community, where does this camera land? I got a Xperia Z1 myself and it takes really good pictures.
Can't offer an opinion here however perhaps looking thru this thread you might see for yourself:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/226419-pictures-video-taken-your-925-a.html
3. How is the apps comparing to Android apps? Is it as well developed? Was thinking about Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube for example.
This is a bit of a sore subject among WP users.
I see no problems in this area myself because a number of apps in other platforms are replaceable with the web.
I think this is best left to the potential users judgement.
I'd post a link to the store, but I'm in the US so your WP store would be different.
Be best if you searched the store marketed in Sweden.
4. Is the appstore really that thin as everybody say it is?
Again as a Windows phone user since Sept 2013 I see no problems here for myself.
I think the app store is closing in on half a million apps available.
5. Do you think the deal with Nokia and MS would impact on the updates for the phones?
No not at all.
This will be a carrier\provider decision for continued support.
I believe the 925 is safe as far as pushed updates.
6. The hardware in the phone is pretty outdated, but does it still do the job? It is on the other hand on another platform and It might just be optimized properly for it?
Not really that outdated.
If there is no need for more horsepower to efficiently run the Windows then it would be a waste.
Lower specs run fine and have less impact on the battery.
7. How long does it take to get used to WP from Android? My wife is using the Nexus 4 now, but the camera is beneath contempt.
Hours in my case.
Very easy to switch...not to mention the group here at WPC is invaluable if help is needed.
8. How does it work with the phone in Windows? Is it like Android that you just drag and drop mp3, videos and such to it?
Many don't like the difference here.
Microsoft offers a downloadable utility to sync media to Windows Phones.
Also the OneDrive feature is available for storing or placing media on the phone.

Would really appreciate if someone could answer this questions for us, cause this price is really killing us, to cheap for beeing Sweden ;)

Happy Easter to you all!

Hope this is helpful!
And here's to having a good Easter to you also!

Again Welcome onboard!

Mr Shield

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
First of all:
Welcome to WPC Mr. Sheild
The best place on the web for WP questions.

Allow me to try my best to answer even though I have the 8.1 developer preview installed.
Others I'm sure will chime in.

My opinion:
Excellent device as far as look and feel very elegant and artful.
I enjoy using the camera. The camera opens from lock with a press of the camera button on the right side of the device.
After taking a pic if you press and hold the camera button again the camera comes up again ready to shoot.
There are 2 apps for taking pics of kids that may be helpful, one is called "blink" and then there is Nokia SmartCam both shoot in succession. Be advised resolution will be lower.
This phone at the latest lower price is worth it for the camera alone.

Can't offer an opinion here however perhaps looking thru this thread you might see for yourself:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/226419-pictures-video-taken-your-925-a.html

This is a bit of a sore subject among WP users.
I see no problems in this area myself because a number of apps in other platforms are replaceable with the web.
I think this is best left to the potential users judgement.
I'd post a link to the store, but I'm in the US so your WP store would be different.
Be best if you searched the store marketed in Sweden.

Again as a Windows phone user since Sept 2013 I see no problems here for myself.
I think the app store is closing in on half a million apps available.

No not at all.
This will be a carrier\provider decision for continued support.
I believe the 925 is safe as far as pushed updates.

Not really that outdated.
If there is no need for more horsepower to efficiently run the Windows then it would be a waste.
Lower specs run fine and have less impact on the battery.

Hours in my case.
Very easy to switch...not to mention the group here at WPC is invaluable if help is needed.

Many don't like the difference here.
Microsoft offers a downloadable utility to sync media to Windows Phones.
Also the OneDrive feature is available for storing or placing media on the phone.

Hope this is helpful!
And here's to having a good Easter to you also!

Again Welcome onboard!

Also, thank you for the answers!
There is no doubt this phone is very interesting, actually, I ordered the phone without any knowledge from my wife, call it a surprise ;-)

Looks like a nice looking forum with friendly ppl, and thank you for the warm welcome :)

I've done some more researching and it seems like a nice phone in many aspects, perhaps a lack of development in the biggest apps like Facebook, but I guess she'll be fine, she isn't that picky as I am ;-)

Skickat fr?n min Xperia Z1 (C6903) via Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes