1520 or wait? Not quite typical scenario

Professorbx

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Considering the 1520, wondering if anyone is in a similar situation.

I currently carry 2 phones-an iPhone 5s and a Lumia 925. The 925 is my work phone, and was picked up as a test to see if the platform could be my daily work driver (after having fond memories of WP7 on an HTC Trophy a couple years back), and was picked up to replace my HTC One, which, while a great phone, just couldn't give me the level of office apps corporate email integration that I need (try doing complex searches on Android exchange email).

Now, the 1520 seems like a great fit, save for the size. If it wasn't for carrying 2 phones, I would probably be all about it, but carrying 2 devices means I need to have double the pocket space dedicated. The 925 is great, but on some newer apps it chugs, and the Icon is sadly not on AT&T. So-

-Anyone else with a 1520 carry 2 devices? Do you find it to be a problem?
-Any rumored devices for AT&T coming in the near term that have comparable specs? That is, better than the dual core snapdragon/1gb ram that every device save for the 1520 has? (Not counting the 1020, the 2gb of ram doesn't seem to make much of a dent on benchmarks).
-Any times that the extra screen space has become more than a "nice to have" and is instead a lifesaver?

If I'm going to be saddled with a device for 2 years, would love to have one that I am in love with, want to make sure I'm making the best decision. Thanks!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering a 1520 (as an upgrade from my 920) for a while now and have examined the phone hands-on ad nauseam. I'll give you the most informed response I can.

1) Play with the 1520 in person first if you haven't already. No matter what you see in pics and videos, the size will surprise you. It's not bulky or chunky by any means though. On the contrary, it's sleek and appears quite thin. But the size will make you pause for a few seconds when you first see it.

2) I do not carry 2 phones, so I can't comment on that. I did however walk around a Microsoft store with one in my pocket (asked the associate first :amaze:) wearing slim jeans and gave it the sit-down test too. It passed.

3) Performance-wise it's terrific. Windows Phone simply flies at warp speed with 2gb of RAM and a Snapdragon 800 processor.

4) I hope nobody jumps on me for this, but one thing to consider is that there have seemingly been more hardware issues than usual with this device. Whether these bugs are major or minor are up to you to decide, but things like bright spots on the screen and tap/swipe sensitivity issues have been widely reported. Just be ready to have to utilize your warranty and swap out the device despite it being sturdy and well-built.

5) There are absolutely no devices rumored to be coming to AT&T in the near future. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but from someone that keeps tabs on this stuff daily... there has been nothing concrete, not even a rumor from trusted sources. The only thing that seems to be a good-to-certain bet is that there is a green (and possibly orange) variant of the 1520 coming to AT&T sometime this summer, perhaps as early as June.

The Lumia 930, which has 2gb of RAM, is not said to be coming stateside. I'm personally not taking that into consideration though because I don't like its blocky design (but some do) and it won't have Glance Screen.

6) Read-up in these forums. I'm sure you already have a bit, but some of these 10 and 20 page threads can seem a bit daunting. They're worth taking the time to peruse if you truly want to make that informed decision though.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon