Dealing with lack of storage

botto8279

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Good morning,

I'm about to jump from Sprint over to AT&T and I'm torn between the 925 and 1020. If the 925 had 32GB of storage, it'd be a no brainer for me, but I just can't get past the 16GB of storage. My question to you all, how do you manage your storage on the 925? I generally keep about 5 to 10 GB of music on my phone but with 16GB i realize that won't be realistic.

How do you all manage your music libraries? Do you sync over music you want to carry with you or do you use a streaming service that will allow you to access your personal library from a cloud?

Thank for any advice you may have !

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey welcome to Wpcentral forums :smile:
I actually have a Lumia 920 , but I dont fill up phone so take this example as I have a 16GB phone, I download music from Nokia mix radio 📻 (each song is compressed, 700-800KB per song ) all photos and recorded videos on OneDrive. Apps that I often use are installed and pinned to my start screen.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not much help. I seldom listen to music except at home or in the car and don't use the phone there for music. I have a 64GB SD card in the car that I keep all my music on.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
16GB is pretty low.
Music streaming (on wi-fi) works well for me.
Somehow I've been holding at 9.7GB free.
I try not to collect apps or keep apps that I just really don't use.

Kind of surprising how many pictures I can keep on the phone with say 5GB.
HD video eats memory, but who shoots a lot of video anyway?

The 16GB 925 is definitely a cloud storage device I would say.

I'm very pleased with the T-Mo 925.

Welcome to WPC and good luck!

jason davison

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with lack of storage. As of now I only keep about 5 albums on my phone at one time. It's a constant pain to choose which albums I want to listen to so I change them out once a month. I don't have an unlimited data plan so streaming the music that I already own seems like i'm being double taxed in a way.

I do love the design, performance and feel to my 925. I truly believe the 925 was the best WP available when I purchased it. However, I do wish an SD slot was available to fit my 5,000 song library.

botto8279

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone! Good stuff so far!

Being a newbie to the WP platform and Nokia excuse the obvious questions. Is there a setting where you can tell the phone to save any picture taken to Skydrive or do you have to do that manually?

With Google Play you're able to upload your library to the "cloud" and stream your music through the Play Music app, does Windows Phone have anything similar?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone! Good stuff so far!

Being a newbie to the WP platform and Nokia excuse the obvious questions. Is there a setting where you can tell the phone to save any picture taken to Skydrive or do you have to do that manually?
They will be saved to the Skydrive of the MS account for the phone. You have options such as using WiFi only and there may be restrictions such as lower resolution to backup over carrier data. I believe you can turn backups off.

botto8279

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well...i went with the Lumia 1020. Storage space trumped the design of the 925. If a 32GB greater one was available and I would have pulled the trigger.

Thanks again to those who commented. It gave me great ideas for the Lumia 1020. I appreciate it!

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I mainly use the Nokia Mix Radio. You can "offline" your stations, where you're not using a lot of storage space (I have the t-mobile 925), a bunch of games, lots of pictures, and still have about 5gb free. I keep about 5 or 6 "stations" stored for offline listening. As you up/down vote songs, it makes a better station, often times finding and playing new songs that I haven't heard before. Saves on battery and data usage not having to keep a data connection opened up constantly. I don't feel the 16gb is a tight fit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital