Microsoft Working On Phones with a Week Long Battery Life

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
now that would be amazing! I just dont see it happening anytime soon. If it was easy and cheap to make batteries last a week in a smartphone they would have had some advances to a day or 2 ... I would say most smartphones only last 10-15 hours of medium use. There is a long ways to go with all this

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As the article states, we're still using battery technology from 15 years ago; which is the biggest problem. I remember when Li-ion NiMH were all the new rage and everybody was overjoyed about how they would, "revolutionize" the electronics industry. Well, unfortunately, back then, the biggest power hogs were digital cameras and NiCad batteries just couldn't cut it. Well, now we're almost a decade into the modern smartphone and tablet era, and almost 15 years into the digital camera era, and we still have the SAME battery technology.

The market DOES care. At least based on some of the threads I've read on this site as well as other, non-Windows Phone sites. It's a matter of getting the manufacturers to care. Right now, the manufacturers are happy using 15 year old technology. It's cheaper for them. If somebody were to cheaply manufacture a battery that lasted two weeks on standby, and a week or better with normal usage, and could fit in a 5mm thick device, then they would be all over it.

I'm betting that eventually, the battery technology that powers some of our high tech drones and other high end electronics will eventually trickle down as they figure out how to miniaturize it and make it cost effective to mass produce.

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I believe with the new battery feature that msft is trying to work on, many more people will buy WP because of way long battery life

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I believe with the new battery feature that msft is trying to work on, many more people will buy WP because of way long battery life

And that is why I hope MSFT works it out. Because not only will it benefit WP users it will also benefit MSFT powered laptops and tablets as well. Just think a Windows powered 13" laptop that gives you three or four days straight without a charge, or a Microsoft Surface that can go a week. Now THAT would be cool! I think MSFT can pull it off. They've been underestimated before.

They also say, they are the "green" alternative, by saying, "Look, our devices use less energy and require charging less frequently. Therefore, less energy needs to be produced to run our devices. That makes them environmentally friendly and cost effective to use." They appeal to the environmentally conscious group as well as the cost conscious group. A win-win in my book.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2