won't wake up after an overnight charge

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
has anyone had a similar issue to me regarding the phone not waking up again after an overnight charge??, three times since I got the phone back in June, (but only once since the 8.1 update) the phone won't wake up after a charge and it takes holding the down volume and power button for about 10 seconds to get it to power up, but when it comes on it's reverted to the same date of May 23rd 2014

after that the phone runs fine with no issues but I wouldn't like to think it's something that will continue to be an issue

thanks for any input

Dave

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't be doing so. You did a soft reset with no difference so I would try a hard reset. Set your backup first, charge your battery, then do a hard reset. Afterword you will have to resign in to your Ms account and WiFi but it will reload everything including saving your tile configuration.

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
This same thing with the date rolling back to May 2014 keeps happening to my brothers 925, although the lockups are far more frequent than yours. Sometimes freezing more than once a day and definitely happening overnight, this has been a problem for him on the developer preview (pre cyan) and official 8.1 too so it is not down to the cyan firmware update. He has no Nokia care centre nearby so he has sent it to me and I've taken it into a care centre for him.

The weird thing is it only does it when the sim is in it, if removed and only using wifi it worked for a week, it never does this with a sim in which kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone, I don't think getting another sim would work either as it has done this on his old sim with Vodafone and after unlocking with his giffgaff sim. I just hope the care centre can figure out what is wrong...

J.

Edit: Just to add, when he could roll back to WP8.0 it works flawlessly and never locks up, with the NSRT he seems to have lost the ability to go back to WP8.0 as the only thing on offer is WP8.1 with CYAN.

Last edited:

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
it's so infrequent as to not be a major issue but thanks for the replies so far....and James, the only updates I ever do are the ones that the phone automatically downloads so no beta stuff on it, if it continues or becomes more frequent then I will certainly take your advice and try a hard reset

Dave

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
decided to try a few charges through the day as I was off work and had the chance, just got up now, the phone hasn't been on charge overnight but it is frozen and after a soft reset is back to the May 24 2014 date and 3:51am on the clock...strange indeed
if I decide to do a hard reset as someone has recommended will I lose all my tiles screen and have to start again or should that recover after??

Dave

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Had this on my 1020

Hard reset numerous times
Mostly did it when charging, missed a lot of alarms because the phone was "dead". Still in the charger, but not charging - after soft resetting the battery level was unchanged from being "connected" to the charger for several hours.

Finally caved in and sent it back for repairs last week, waiting for some answers..

Had the problems on amber black and cyan, im betting/hoping its phone hardeware. Only gripe is that im sure they will return it to me with a "reloaded software" message....

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
as the OP in this thread, by trying a few things I seem to have stumbled onto the solution, for my 1020 anyway, i set it to airplane more before putting it on charge and for the last 4 days it hasn't frozen, so maybe not a long term fix but it would seem to me that some app that's running of a nighttime is causing my lock ups

Dave

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine back from repairs.. They replaced the case which was perfectly fine (no scratches or bumps or whatever, protective case from day one) and replaced cpu heat sink.. Lets see if that worked

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing exactly this too. Only happened since updating to 8.1 / Cyan. Missed my alarm this morning because of it.. Updated around three weeks ago and it's happened twice now. Must be a software bug?

Like you mine shows the charge where it last crashed at. IE first time it was at like 50% but this morning it obviously finished charging as it was at 100%.

The only odd thing i've noticed is that in battery saver skype had used a full bar in the background. Not sure if that's causing some wierd issue.

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
strangely the airplane mode still works on my overnight charge and I have not had a freeze overnight for a week now, i don't use the phone as an alarm so this is not an issue for me, although I am sure it would be for lots of people, but I did use the phone in the car using a Bluetooth speaker, and after not turning off the Bluetooth when I came back indoors I found the phone had frozen and went through the same as I described in the original post (soft reset and date back to May 23 2014, so maybe there's an issue with the Bluetooth on it?

Dave

srietscha

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a 928 with the latest version of 8.1 developer preview, but this is the closest problem I've found to mine. My alarms haven't been going off the last few days and I've had the freezing problems during charging. I read this thread and a few others and I decided to check my settings to see if anything was amiss since I didn't see any solutions. I noticed that my time zone was set to automatic and it showed I was in Cuiaba which is apparently Brazil? I am in the Eastern US and when I manually set the time zone, I set an alarm and it actually worked. The time was correct so I didn't notice the time zone was wrong. I'm not sure why this messed up my alarms since it shouldn't matter? I don't know if this will help the freezing problems, but I guess we'll see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon