What to do now? (Cracked screen)

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, y'all. So... The last time I dropped my phone, it caused a tiny crack near the earpiece. Yesterday, it actually cracked. It was slipped out of my hand from waist height (I'm 5'4") and landed face down. I got this November 2012. I'm not on AT&T's network anymore. I'm on H20 (idk if my phone is unlocked or not). Luckily, the touchscreen still works, but I've had dust leaking under the screen for a while now. Some options:1) Find a replacement for the glass and digitizer 2) Find a replacement phone on eBay, looking for auctions3) Wait for the new Lumias later in the fallAny help is appreciated.While I was looking on eBay, someone tell mes why you would sell a phone with a cracked screen and why anyone would want to buy it or bid on it?10608647_10152635369957458_5367471525425046166_o.jpg

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about your phone. Screens are mysterious, sometimes they survive a tough fall and sometimes the just give up on slight pressure, of course it depends on the situation.

Now coming to your question, try to get a quote for repair in your area, see if you can get it for cheap. From what I know, changing the glass (digitizer) of 920 is comparatively easier than other lumias. I did some research when my 720 got a crack. See if you can find someone who does that without changing the whole digitizer and LCD. There can be a problem of touch caliberation if not done properly, be warned. If you are looking for an upgrade, you know the answer. But until then use a screen protector so you don't hurt your hands.

People do sell units with broken glass on ebay, and people buy them for spare parts. Though the buyers are less, if you decide to sell, it's worth a shot.

And yes, auctions. If you can get one for cheap replacing the whole LCD and digitizer unit is a lot easier.

Last edited:

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you have the tools, T5, T4 and I believe a T2 replacing the screen on the 920 is quite easy and should only run you $100. Or you can buy a 920 on eBay or Amazon for $250-$299. If your phone is in perfect working order other than the screen, just get the screen replaced. Search Youtube for Lumia 920 screen replacement to get an idea of what you will need to do. Hope this helps.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
If you have the tools, T5, T4 and I believe a T2 replacing the screen on the 920 is quite easy and should only run you $100. Or you can buy a 920 on eBay or Amazon for $250-$299. If your phone is in perfect working order other than the screen, just get the screen replaced. Search Youtube for Lumia 920 screen replacement to get an idea of what you will need to do. Hope this helps.

I bought my Lumia 920 for $150 from tigerdirect a few weeks back...I know ebay had them refurb for $140 too, just as a heads up, keep an eye out, or you can get a L520 to hold you over, they are pretty cheap anymore

Christopher Cuppett

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
My wife bought a brand new (in box) 920 off of eBay for $145 including shipping. I decided to also give the 920 a try, and was able to buy one off of eBay that was gently used (no scratches on the screen) for $86 including shipping.

I saw a lot of cracked screen models being sold for around $50 or less. You can do a search on eBay and filter for "Sold listings" to see what it's going for now. My advice would be to sell yours on eBay for parts and buy a new or used one for cheap. It's not worth the hassle to try and repair it yourself when you can get a gently used one with no (or very small) scratches on the screen for less than $100.

Christopher Cuppett

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
My wife bought a brand new, in box, L920 for $145 on eBay including shipping about two months ago. I just bought a gently used (no scratches on screen) L920 on eBay two weeks ago for $86 on eBay. Caveat: both were AT&T branded and possibly SIM locked. You can still buy SIM cards from MVNOs like NET10 (which I use) that will work in AT&T SIM locked devices until you can get them unlocked.

I also see L920s with broken screens selling for parts for around $40 on eBay. My advice to you would be to sell your current phone for parts and buy a replacement.

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I got a quote for a replacement at the repair store in the mall. Around $160 plus labor cost. Yikes. I just hope I can win an auction on eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon