WSJ Unbiased Review of the M8 WP!

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
She nailed it when she said "Why don't more people have Windows Phones? Because more people don't have Windows Phones." The perceived "feature parity" is really only 3rd party apps at this point. I have owned a 5s and a Nexus 5 (among a ton of other phones across all mobile OSes) and, in my opinion, WP 8.1 is superior to either of these. Cortana is a big part of that too. Microsoft hit that one out of the park. Cortana > Siri > Google Now in every aspect of the personal assistance game.

I think some of it also has to do with this "I hate Microsoft because Microsoft Sucks" mentality. Scott Hanselman nails it in this blog post. Granted, he works at MS but I think the blog post is well-written.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
She nailed it when she said "Why don't more people have Windows Phones? Because more people don't have Windows Phones." The perceived "feature parity" is really only 3rd party apps at this point. I have owned a 5s and a Nexus 5 (among a ton of other phones across all mobile OSes) and, in my opinion, WP 8.1 is superior to either of these. Cortana is a big part of that too. Microsoft hit that one out of the park. Cortana > Siri > Google Now in every aspect of the personal assistance game.

I think some of it also has to do with this "I hate Microsoft because Microsoft Sucks" mentality. Scott Hanselman nails it in this blog post. Granted, he works at MS but I think the blog post is well-written.

That's what she said though. That if more people owned WPs, developers would put more attention towards them, and make apps for us, or if they have it already, make it future parity with IOS and Android.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why developers aren't more receptive. there really is a market for wp developers. I've personally landed a sidegig developing one simply by inquiring about why a company didn't have one. Just because companies aren't knocking on doors begging people to make them a WP app doesn't mean they wouldn't pay for one. In a lot of cases the shops they outsource development to simply don't have devs that are familiar with the plartform. Network. You'd be surprised.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why developers aren't more receptive. there really is a market for wp developers. I've personally landed a sidegig developing one simply by inquiring about why a company didn't have one. Just because companies aren't knocking on doors begging people to make them a WP app doesn't mean they wouldn't pay for one. In a lot of cases the shops they outsource development to simply don't have devs that are familiar with the platform. Network. You'd be surprised.

Well they have more of their customers on IOS and Android, so they are more important, you have to admit.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I felt this was a really honest, unbiased, and great review. She wad really knowledgeable, and she was right. I suggest checking it out!

The facts and most of the text of her review were actually not terrible for her, but then they kill the whole evenhanded vibe with that headline and the way they package the video in Times Square. Then the way she and and another WSJ writer Tweeted about the whole thing was even more trollish.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The facts and most of the text of her review were actually not terrible for her, but then they kill the whole evenhanded vibe with that headline and the way they package the video in Times Square. Then the way she and and another WSJ writer Tweeted about the whole thing was even more trollish.

Huh? Lol

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

He didn't like the way the story was setup or how it was presented nor asking random people about it..in other words he just didn't like it or the conclusions of it.

What's sad is the majority of people don't really know about Windows Phone...and any type of story that points this out,no matter how is always going to seem biased against it if you are a fan of it.

You have your diehard WP fans...your diehard IOS fans...and your diehard Android fans....and they all take umbrage when it's perceived that their choice of platforms has been slighted somehow...

I would wager a tidy sum that on any given day the amount of people you would stop and ask on Times Square who use a WP would be about the same...and that's the reality of how it is right now compared to Android or IOS...

The sad part of this is it's going to take millions and millions of dollars of advertising each and every day in every form of marketing with really good campaigns to get people interested in it...not just the US vs them type of bs cortana vs siri commercials...but Emmy award winning types of commercials like Apple makes...

Sooner than later hopefully somebody wakesthehellupat Microsoft and realizes this...dorky commercials of us vs them are not memorable,and won't win over the hearts of those who are using something else..

Win the crowd...Win your freedom...that's from the movie Gladiator...and it's so true for anything these days...Win their hearts...Win their pocketbook...

They have to win the crowd over...If they don't..they will never be known to them

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
He didn't like the way the story was setup or how it was presented nor asking random people about it..in other words he just didn't like it or the conclusions of it.

What's sad is the majority of people don't really know about Windows Phone...and any type of story that points this out,no matter how is always going to seem biased against it if you are a fan of it.

You have your diehard WP fans...your diehard IOS fans...and your diehard Android fans....and they all take umbrage when it's perceived that their choice of platforms has been slighted somehow...

I would wager a tidy sum that on any given day the amount of people you would stop and ask on Times Square who use a WP would be about the same...and that's the reality of how it is right now compared to Android or IOS...

The sad part of this is it's going to take millions and millions of dollars of advertising each and every day in every form of marketing with really good campaigns to get people interested in it...not just the US vs them type of bs cortana vs siri commercials...but Emmy award winning types of commercials like Apple makes...

Sooner than later hopefully somebody wakesthehellupat Microsoft and realizes this...dorky commercials of us vs them are not memorable,and won't win over the hearts of those who are using something else..

Win the crowd...Win your freedom...that's from the movie Gladiator...and it's so true for anything these days...Win their hearts...Win their pocketbook...

They have to win the crowd over...If they don't..they will never be known to them

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

People can't admit it, but Apple has the best advertisements. :)

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Sorry! My apologies. I was referring to her print review and surrounding tweets (image below). I did go back and watch the video, and I have the same take that I have about her printed review. When she keeps her journalist's hat on, and talks plainly about the pro's and con's I think she does a good job. But what annoys me is that the WSJ (and most other tech outlets) feel this perverse need to deliver Windows Phone coverage with some kind of smirking condescension. What I specifically objected to were the headline "Another Great Phone You Probably Won't Buy" and the needlessly snarky tweets and RT's:
JSternTwitter.png

This kind of crap betrays the underlying bias. Also, the entire premise of the Times Square video. Let's send Joanna to Times Square and get a bunch of funny clips of people professing to have absolutely no idea that Windows Phone exists. This exercise had no "news" value. It was done purely to punch up the story, get that crazy shot of her talking with Buzz Lightyear, and obviate the need for any further analysis ("no one buys it because no one buys it"). If you're familiar with her work or the other writers at WSJ, they rarely misses an opportunity to ding Microsoft so I'm not going give them the benefit of the doubt.

What she fails to mention is the very real role that the tech press itself plays. They encourage partisan BS and ******-ism. They constantly hammer home the idea that you shouldn't get a WP because it doesn't work for them, completely ignoring the fact that they are usually very biased already and they have extremely unusual needs that do not mirror the general populace. This is a larger problem with tech coverage in general. Most of it comes from people who do nothing but write, and write about the most infinitesimal details. I work for a very large global marketing research company and I've seen the data about what most people do. Most of their time is spent messaging, web browsing, using Facebook and Twitter, listening to music, light gaming and talking on the phone. That's like 95% of usage. But the technorati will talk about how WP doesn't have this or that niche app, and the implicit message is that these apps are in fact critical and somehow define your experience as a smart-phone owner. And the entire focus on apps goes right past the more salient fact that WP is such a smooth, easy, stable experience. I switched from an iPhone to WP, and yes- I lost some apps that I used every day. But that was well worth the improved overall experience I had with the phone itself, and the handful of unique benefits I got specifically from my device and WP8.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry! My apologies. I was referring to her print review and surrounding tweets (image below). I did go back and watch the video, and I have the same take that I have about her printed review. When she keeps her journalist's hat on, and talks plainly about the pro's and con's I think she does a good job. But what annoys me is that the WSJ (and most other tech outlets) feel this perverse need to deliver Windows Phone coverage with some kind of smirking condescension. What I specifically objected to were the headline "Another Great Phone You Probably Won't Buy" and the needlessly snarky tweets and RT's:
View attachment 78357

This kind of crap betrays the underlying bias. Also, the entire premise of the Times Square video. Let's send Joanna to Times Square and get a bunch of funny clips of people professing to have absolutely no idea that Windows Phone exists. This exercise had no "news" value. It was done purely to punch up the story, get that crazy shot of her talking with Buzz Lightyear, and obviate the need for any further analysis ("no one buys it because no one buys it"). If you're familiar with her work or the other writers at WSJ, they rarely misses an opportunity to ding Microsoft so I'm not going give them the benefit of the doubt.

What she fails to mention is the very real role that the tech press itself plays. They encourage partisan BS and ******-ism. They constantly hammer home the idea that you shouldn't get a WP because it doesn't work for them, completely ignoring the fact that they are usually very biased already and they have extremely unusual needs that do not mirror the general populace. This is a larger problem with tech coverage in general. Most of it comes from people who do nothing but write, and write about the most infinitesimal details. I work for a very large global marketing research company and I've seen the data about what most people do. Most of their time is spent messaging, web browsing, using Facebook and Twitter, listening to music, light gaming and talking on the phone. That's like 95% of usage. But the technorati will talk about how WP doesn't have this or that niche app, and the implicit message is that these apps are in fact important and somehow define your experience as a smart-phone owner. And the entire focus on apps goes right past the more salient fact that WP is such a smooth, easy, stable experience.

Great post! You really got to the heart of how so called journalists insert an almost subconscious negativity about WP in their articles and this is obviously a huge part of why WP is perceived the way it is. Such a pity that millions of people are just too lazy to find out things for themselves and instead rely on "experts" like this.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 78357

What she fails to mention is the very real role that the tech press itself plays. They encourage partisan BS and ******-ism. They constantly hammer home the idea that you shouldn't get a WP because it doesn't work for them, completely ignoring the fact that they are usually very biased already and they have extremely unusual needs that do not mirror the general populace. This is a larger problem with tech coverage in general. Most of it comes from people who do nothing but write, and write about the most infinitesimal details. I work for a very large global marketing research company and I've seen the data about what most people do. Most of their time is spent messaging, web browsing, using Facebook and Twitter, listening to music, light gaming and talking on the phone. That's like 95% of usage. But the technorati will talk about how WP doesn't have this or that niche app, and the implicit message is that these apps are in fact critical and somehow define your experience as a smart-phone owner. And the entire focus on apps goes right past the more salient fact that WP is such a smooth, easy, stable experience. I switched from an iPhone to WP, and yes- I lost some apps that I used every day. But that was well worth the improved overall experience I had with the phone itself, and the handful of unique benefits I got specifically from my device and WP8.

I know wjat you mean. :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This was a great review about the phone. I will say the camera on the M8 sucks, yes it can take okay pics but it won't replace a dedicated camera like the high end lumia's did (920, 1020, 1520, 930) and even a mid tier 925 can.

It is true the main reason for people not jumping into wp is because of third party apps. It is the thorn in the foot of windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes