Using different chargers with the 1520 (wired + Qi)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have tried 3 different 2A chargers, which all are claimed by the device to be charging slowly.

Are others experiencing this? Or are really all those chargers slower than the original 1.3A charger... Also tried a 1A charger without this prompt.

I'm running the latest DP.

Last edited:

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: 3 different 2A chargers WP says are "slow chargers"

The problem is many high current chargers are designed for iPhone and/or iPad, and Apple uses (of course) a non-standard system to tell the phone what current it can deliver. They use different voltages on the data lines of the connector to differentiate between 0.5A, 1A or 2A. If you have a non-Apple device it will draw only 0.5A out of such a charger.
The standard system is floating data lines for 0.5A and shorted data lines for up to 1.5A. More than that is never standard, I know Samsung uses a voltage of 1.25V on the shorted data lines to tell their Tab 10.1 tablet it can draw 2A. Any other device will probably draw maximum 1.5A from such a charger.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Thanks a lot for a very educative answer!

I had no idea about this, but it surely explains how my friend said one of the chargers can't be broke, as it charges her iPhone way faster than regular charger.

Great info really.

And like you said, of course Apple has their own standard on this too.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

One more question on this... What about when using Apple type 2A charger to power Qi charger, will Lumia device pull maximum power?

Does someone know will WP notify of "a slow charger" also when charged wirelessly?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've not seen it say "slow charger" on Qi.

My Qi orb came with no power head. I tried several combinations of charger head and USB cord... As low as 1A and up to 2A. the charge rates were very low with some combos (down to 2.75% per hour) and it never triggered a "slow charge" notification. Surprisingly to me, the stock Nokia charger that came with my 1520.3 was not the best choice and actually performed quite poorly (about 4.5% per hour).

I ended up using a generic (Samsung style) 2A charger that I got off eBay or Amazon...

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I tested few chargers using a Qi pad bought from eBay.

Nokia 1.5A stock charger, generic 2A "iPhone" charger and Targus 2.1A "iPhone" charger all charge 10% in 30 mins. No difference at all basically.

I will try at least one 1A charger tomorrow also.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I've not seen it say "slow charger" on Qi.

My Qi orb came with no power head. I tried several combinations of charger head and USB cord... As low as 1A and up to 2A. the charge rates were very low with some combos (down to 2.75% per hour) and it never triggered a "slow charge" notification. Surprisingly to me, the stock Nokia charger that came with my 1520.3 was not the best choice and actually performed quite poorly (about 4.5% per hour).

I ended up using a generic (Samsung style) 2A charger that I got off eBay or Amazon...

You seem to have very low numbers there? I started charging from 10% and got 10% jumps with every charge. My phone is normally on with everything running, WLAN is on.

Im testing with this pad: Qi Wireless Charger Charge Pad B for HTC 8x LUMIA920 820 NOTE2 3 S3 4 5 NEXUS4 5 | eBay

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The charger and USB cord I'm on now yields about 22 to 25% with a good seating... 10% or more even with a lazy targeting of the optimum match up zone (Qi pad to receiver line-up).

I think it is going to vary by Qi charger and then again by what you plug into it. The pins inside the Qi and the output pins might be different. That's why experimenting with various chargers is needed when the Qi charger comes without one... The one's I illustrated were to show that even at those low rates, no "slow charger" alert was given. That was the OP's question,

I'm using this generic "nexus style" orb: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...ar=650308956434&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I looked again... I'm actually using the 2A charger head and USB cord from my Dell V8P.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, it has been determined that it won't "double charge" with both Qi and USB simultaneously. So if you were in a hurry, wired should be faster. Otherwise, use the Qi, and possibly move it somewhere better for intermediate topping up capability during the day (like at work, say).

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Not sure on the slow charging, but most qi charging devices all charge differently in speed preferences and I dropped 2 Nokia QI devices for over heating and slow performance. Replaced them for the QI full and no bother with it over heating the phone and charging wireless is greatly improved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon