Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I, along with the vast majority of the general public could not care less what the specs are.

If it looks good and functions well I'm happy.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Basically, this phone exists for people who don't want a 6" 1520, but are screwed by the lack of a 930 on AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint in the U.S. It's a phone of last resort, and it's a damned shame.

Basically, me -_-. I own a 1520.3 and the size is a bit cumbersome. Really not sure if I'm ready to give it up for the 830's slue of inferior internals.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Basically, me -_-. I own a 1520.3 and the size is a bit cumbersome. Really not sure if I'm ready to give it up for the 830's slue of inferior internals.

sadly it might not even be that, as it seems like it won't be coming to US at all.

I don't know what's going on, but the last good phone Microsoft has released for US was the ICON this past Feb. It's funny how they are making all the low-end phones supposedly for "emerging markets" but providing no higher option for US.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
sadly it might not even be that, as it seems like it won't be coming to US at all.

I don't know what's going on, but the last good phone Microsoft has released for US was the ICON this past Feb. It's funny how they are making all the low-end phones supposedly for "emerging markets" but providing no higher option for US.

I'm just now reading all the talk about it not coming to the U.S. or even being equipped with U.S. LTE bands if we wanted to import it. I was so geeked up for this thing after watching the announcement live, and now that the marketing dust has settled and the reality of it is showing, I really am quite disappointed.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
While I agree about the underwhelming processor, the typical consumer wouldn't really see past through the camera and screen.

I'm not stereotyping but a lot of people have asked me to pick a phone for them and that's all they need EVEN if you try to explain the technical specs.

The 830 isn't revolutionary but it really isn't meant to be. The SD 400 processor would do just fine with WP.

Also a bump from 512 to 1GB of RAM, a MUCH better camera and a definitely better display is definitely worth the larger price tag. I also should mention that 1GB of RAM basically lets you fiddle with all of the Apps in the store.

Another thing I want to reiterate is that the Nexus line is cheap in the US but wildly inflated throughout the rest of the world. The Nexus 5 when it was released was priced as much as the GS4 and the M7 in my country, not really a bang for buck phone.. Maybe in the US but outside the US it really isn't.

The phone would sell but we should not expect too much from it. It will not fail, it will probably sell like the typical WP handset. The 730/5 on the other hand has a more promising future.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It checks boxes that people want to see when looking at the kiosk in the mall.

Quad-Core - check
HD - check (whatever that means now)
Removable battery - check
Image stabilization - check
Zeiss - check
Expandable storage - check

The "real" specs don't mean much. #retinadisplay

This is my wife's next phone. I will order it off-contract and unlocked if I have to. Anxious to see what the expensive flagship will be.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I, along with the vast majority of the general public could not care less what the specs are.

If it looks good and functions well I'm happy.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

If all people in the world had your attitude wp would be the leading OS.

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
L830 will fail because Moto G have same processor with same resolution.

The only thing L830 have is better Camera.

Tomorrow Moto G2 will announce and it has every thing identical as L830 except camera & still cost $200.

I don't think L830 would be successful.
It's just become an overpriced phone

yes motog2 and L830 specs are similar but only few specs like screen size, resolution, prcessor(according to leaked specs of g2) and price wil be nearly 250USD but we shuld keep in mind that Pureview tech might be a cosltlier one than standard 8mp then we have wireless charging, the curved glass, that mattlic work in body these things will put effect on the price of L830 and after all it is near to a premium phone and quality also matters. so we cant say that L830 is so much overpriced phone.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
While I agree about the underwhelming processor, the typical consumer wouldn't really see past through the camera and screen.

I'm not stereotyping but a lot of people have asked me to pick a phone for them and that's all they need EVEN if you try to explain the technical specs.

The 830 isn't revolutionary but it really isn't meant to be. The SD 400 processor would do just fine with WP.

Also a bump from 512 to 1GB of RAM, a MUCH better camera and a definitely better display is definitely worth the larger price tag. I also should mention that 1GB of RAM basically lets you fiddle with all of the Apps in the store.

Another thing I want to reiterate is that the Nexus line is cheap in the US but wildly inflated throughout the rest of the world. The Nexus 5 when it was released was priced as much as the GS4 and the M7 in my country, not really a bang for buck phone.. Maybe in the US but outside the US it really isn't.

The phone would sell but we should not expect too much from it. It will not fail, it will probably sell like the typical WP handset. The 730/5 on the other hand has a more promising future.

+1 for that.

But in my country all devices are overpriced, I bought a Nexus 5 for $400 and I could've bought a Lumia 920 or 820 instead.

I'm pretty sure 830 will be above $450 when it arrives here, and barely anyone pays that much here for a Windows Phone.

Alas, the 830 had potential.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
yes motog2 and L830 specs are similar but only few specs like screen size, resolution, prcessor(according to leaked specs of g2) and price wil be nearly 250USD but we shuld keep in mind that Pureview tech might be a cosltlier one than standard 8mp then we have wireless charging, the curved glass, that mattlic work in body these things will put effect on the price of L830 and after all it is near to a premium phone and quality also matters. so we cant say that L830 is so much overpriced phone.

That's list of features only a gimmick.
Nobody will bother to look at or atleast know about it(normal users).
L830 is only a mid range phone with premium pricing tag.

Anyway what WP need is competitive pricing which they aren't doing.
I can bet on it neither L830 or L730 would able to beat Moto G2 sales unless they do something about pricing.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Stop the nonsense moto g 2 is same as moto g. Except for 5 inch screen nd 8 mp camera.

& same price too.

although G price goes down by now but G2 pricing would be same as G at the time of lauch

and by the
L730 & L830 is same too except fo 10MP camera & 5Inch screen.LOL!

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Do Microsoft/Nokia even know about incremental increase in specifications from low to high end?

What if I'm interested in selfies as well as photography? 830 has better rear camera. 730 has better front camera. Do they expect me to buy both? I mean what's with niche phones? Why cant they release an all around phone for every price point. Glance in one, no glance in other. Equalizer in one, missing in others. Missing sensors. Missing SD card slots. Rich audio recording in some, missing in others. Dolby licensing in some, missing in others.Then using same chipset in every price point with same clock speed. I mean what are they even thinking?

Personally, if I want a phone both for selfies and good photography than I'll opt for 730 over 830. Why? Because 6.7mp vs 10mp isn't much of a difference but 730 has f/1.9 which has an edge. Both have Zeiss lens. Only advantage of 830 is OIS plus a couple of more pixels. But again it has 1mp front camera. Same chipset and cost a fortune more. Figuratively speaking.
830's biggest opponents aren't nexus5 or MotoG. It is 730. They failed the emphasis on photography when they put 1mp front camera on a phone with a relatively great rear camera.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
& same price too.

although G price goes down by now but G2 pricing would be same as G at the time of lauch

and by the
L730 & L830 is same too except fo 10MP camera & 5Inch screen.LOL!

Here in india moto g is discontinued by flipkart.only moto g 2.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Do Microsoft/Nokia even know about incremental increase in specifications from low to high end?

What if I'm interested in selfies as well as photography? 830 has better rear camera. 730 has better front camera. Do they expect me to buy both? I mean what's with niche phones? Why cant they release an all around phone for every price point. Glance in one, no glance in other. Equalizer in one, missing in others. Missing sensors. Missing SD card slots. Rich audio recording in some, missing in others. Dolby licensing in some, missing in others.Then using same chipset in every price point with same clock speed. I mean what are they even thinking?

Personally, if I want a phone both for selfies and good photography than I'll opt for 730 over 830. Why? Because 6.7mp vs 10mp isn't much of a difference but 730 has f/1.9 which has an edge. Both have Zeiss lens. Only advantage of 830 is OIS plus a couple of more pixels. But again it has 1mp front camera. Same chipset and cost a fortune more. Figuratively speaking.
830's biggest opponents aren't nexus5 or MotoG. It is 730. They failed the emphasis on photography when they put 1mp front camera on a phone with a relatively great rear camera.

Agree lumia 830 going to fail just like lumia 820 because of lumia 730.

WPRaptor1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I am not really that informed about processors and stuff. Reading the comments, although I wanted to upgrade to this phone from my 820,I don't know if I should wait a couple of months and get the Lumia 930. Is snapdragon 400 that bad? I mean, phones like the 630 can't play asphalt, gt racing, halo etc or is there any lag? I play maybe once in a week games on my cell so there wouldn't be a problem for me.But, will there be any lag or something else going wrong?
Sent from Lumia 820

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
But on the other hand, the more expensive HTC One mini 2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 mini feature nearly the same CPU with the same "lowend" performance. With the 830, you pay less and get a much better camera. Looks like a not to bad deal.
At least someone sees what I do, people complain about the processor but this phone will sell for quite a low price, it isn't a flagship they should call it a flagship phon but it is a great midrange phone with great performance

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am not really that informed about processors and stuff. Reading the comments, although I wanted to upgrade to this phone from my 820,I don't know if I should wait a couple of months and get the Lumia 930. Is snapdragon 400 that bad? I mean, phones like the 630 can't play asphalt, gt racing, halo etc or is there any lag? I play maybe once in a week games on my cell so there wouldn't be a problem for me.But, will there be any lag or something else going wrong?
Sent from Lumia 820

The heavy games might lag, in every other case it should be fine.
People just like to cry and beg for top specs on cheap devices.

You should just test it yourself in the store for the most objective conclusion.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The OP is suggesting the 830 will fail because of the lower end processor.

Don't know about you guys, but if I went out on to my local high street and asked a random selection of people if they knew what processor they had in their smartphone, I'm sure 90% wouldn't have a clue or even care...

A decent front facing camera however, is something the general public may have an interest in.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nothing would be wrong if they had not used the word 'flagship'. Sure, it *is* a flagship, compared to the previous 820... But, if you use the word Flagship, people expect something to best the 930, which is impossible for the 830. And you know why?

Because it's a lower tier phone. the moment a 830 would best the 930 in specs, it would only cause confusion amongst the buyers.

So in short - specs are good, the price is perhaps a bit too steep at the moment, and the term affordable 'flagship' was a very bad move.

Flagship means the latest and best hardware there is. and thus people have the right to complain when they see mid-specs on a phone that got called a flagship.

Hopefully Microsoft will stop throwing around fancy words like Apple used to do - we're not blinded by pretty words. Just be modest and honest with your customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon