OMG they removed Glance!

simon.b

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the 930 brought up the misconception that glance is not possible on OLED. OLED has nothing to do with the 930 not supporting glance. The 820 has an OLED display and it supports glance. If you actually think about how oled works you will find out that it's actually the more suitable technology for something like glance.

gamesticker

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the 930 brought up the misconception that glance is not possible on OLED. OLED has nothing to do with the 930 not supporting glance. The 820 has an OLED display and it supports glance. If you actually think about how oled works you will find out that it's actually the more suitable technology for something like glance.

Thanks for correcting me.

Did anybody say 730/735 will support Glance?

In absence of a notification light, glance is the only thing which lets us know about the notifications without waking up my phone. No glance means we have to periodically wake up the phone to check for missed notifications. A pain indeed.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
720p + OLED can and should have glance. Is this confirmed?
It's been years that those size/ppi OLED displays have been on the market (Galaxy Nexus, 2011) and hence should be cheaper. It's sad that they're skipping it on almost every phone this generation.

gamesticker

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
720p + OLED can and should have glance. Is this confirmed?
It's been years that those size/ppi OLED displays have been on the market (Galaxy Nexus, 2011) and hence should be cheaper. It's sad that they're skipping it on almost every phone this generation.

730 and 735 product pages have no mention of glance. In contrast 830 product page confirms glance.

gamesticker

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia730-dual-sim/specifications/
nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia735/specifications/
nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia830/specifications/

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Amoled and oled is not the same thing. Oled is the best display type but they don't have enough display memory. They should have just used an lcd instead

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Cant expect the low end devices to have all the features of the high end, otherwise there's no incentive to upgrade.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a shame too. Should not be an expensive option. Then again, so much phone for so little money make me a Lumia 730 anyway.
And because its cheap, no money is lost when upgrading to the next Lumia.

gamesticker

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Nokia said that they didn't include Glance in Icon and 930 due to the cost concerns. I guess including Glance in 730 too would've increased the cost. Nevertheless, it's disappointing :(

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nokia said that they didn't include Glance in Icon and 930 due to the cost concerns. I guess including Glance in 730 too would've increased the cost. Nevertheless, it's disappointing :(

No, they said it was due to using a screen that lacked display memory. They have NEVER said it was because of cost.

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No, they said it was due to using a screen that lacked display memory. They have NEVER said it was because of cost.

I seem to remember Nokia saying for the 930 that yes, it was due to a lack of display memory, but that they COULD put glance on if they went for a better screen, but that would bump the price up of the phone, so in a way, there is no glance on the 930 for both display memory AND cost reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon