Abandoning Lumia 930 wireless charging due to heating issue.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Like the title says.

My 930 has slowly become unusable with any wireless charger, I have three. The problem is that the phone is heating up so much it has become dangerous, to the phone. Yes the 930 shuts off when it gets too hot when charging but that has lead most recently to a 3.5 hour charge time to full from 20% which is unacceptable.

I am now charging with a wired charger in 90 mins and little or no heat.

It's a shame as wireless charging is great to have but I cannot be bothered sending it to Nokia and getting the usual "it is normal for handsets to become warmer when charging" response, like I just got my first phone. I have a 1020 which is fine and had a 920 too which didn't get insanely hot on wireless charging but the 930 has gone from getting warm, to hot, to a waste of time.

I am not looking for a fix (soft reset/hard reset, hold it whilst standing on one leg pointing at the moon on a Wednesday) just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue?

Apart from that it's a very cool phone :wink:

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My 930 charges fine on the wireless plate, its on my desk at work.

I have used it to fully charge the phone a couple of times, yes it gets warm & yes it takes several hours as wireless charging isn't as efficient as using a the usb cable to charge it.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's my third WP with wireless charging and my 930 was actually ok to begin with it's taken two months to get to this point. Glad yours is OK dude!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What wireless charger are you using? I have had zero issues with mine (Icon) and my previous (928 and 8x). All stay nice and cool using Nokia's wireless charger.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
1020 charges fine on all three chargers, so did my 920 and so did my 930 originally. It got warm but now it gets scalding hot and like I said keeps shutting off it get's so hot.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia one I have is THE WORST of the lot.

That's strange, mine has always been cool on the Nokia charger and typically cool with those cheap knockoff chargers, but if it ever gets a little bit warm (very rare) its with one of the knockoff chargers.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
That's strange, mine has always been cool on the Nokia charger and typically cool with those cheap knockoff chargers, but if it ever gets a little bit warm (very rare) its with one of the knockoff chargers.

I'm glad you continue to have no problems with wireless charging, unfortunately I do.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad you continue to have no problems with wireless charging, unfortunately I do.

That could be why my phone doesn't charge on the wireless plate. I've not tested it much but there are times I put it on the little circular plate (bundled in with the phone), it starts charging but when I wake up and check my phone it's only half charged. Friggin' annoying when that happens. At first I thought it was because it moved out of the "sweet spot" that it needs to be in...but now I think maybe it gets hot and restarts? Who knows what happens in the night...

Personally I've given up on wireless charging. For me personally wireless charging is pointless. The only difference is I save myself 1 second by not plugging a cable into the back of it. I'd rather buy a bunch of cheap USB chargers instead of expensive wireless chargers to use at work, home and on travel etc.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That's really bad news, since I was excited about it. But I think I will try anyway.

I'm wondering about chargers now. Nokia have 0.750a and chinese QI charger have more than 1a.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon