Risk of Updating to WP8.1.1

Mechuna

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Lumia 1520 and, as expected, I'm very happy with it so far. It's a Saudi Arabian country variant and I've already updated it to WP8.1/Cyan since the update has been out here for a few weeks. My question is if I should activate the Preview for Developers on the device to get GDR1? My previous device, the Lumia 920, had the program activated and I've grown used to having the live folders on it. Live folders being the only feature I truly miss, though, makes me apprehensive about updating my phone. What are the reported problems for Lumia 1520 on the Preview and GDR1? I'm particularly concerned about camera performance. How would you all weigh the risk (and potential hassle) of activating the Preview for Developers? Is it worth taking or am I just being too protective of my new phone?

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had WP8.1.1 for the past couple of weeks and everything has been great! As always, your device and experience may be different then someone else in a different part of the world. If you aren't happy with it, you can always downgrade using Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty new to 1520. I had P4D on my 925 and swore by it even though I didn't like some of the inconsistency of UX, especially around battery. Not as much of a problem with 1520, but still a concern. There are other issues going around about camera as well...

I have a trip upcoming and my camera and other phone functions will be key to enjoying the trip. Also, the battery will take a lot of use during long days sight seeing.

If that weren't a key factor, I'd go back to P4D. Overall the benefits outweighed the deficits. Especially if you need to wait for a carrier to push out updates...

Mechuna

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for your input! I'm sort of leaning towards the update now but would like to know what issues exactly were reported about the camera? Pretty much anything but that yellow haze is fine with me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes