Dropped 1520

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm with 1520 but its feel less powerful. The 920 was like an army phone 😊
Wait.. Your 1520 feels less powerful than a 920? Cut.. It.. out... lol

I will say the 920 and it's "heavyness" did lend a bit of a "premium" feel to it. It really felt like a quality made device.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Never dropped my 1520 yet. I actually haven't dropped my 920 either. Although I dropped my iPhone the first day I got it 2 years ago. Must be a sign I should stay with Windows Phone lmao

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my 1020 five days after I bought it with no case on....it landed on the corner and dented the wooden flooring :p. That said, I have an Otterbox on it now and I have a glass screen protector shipping from Amazon (I have the tendency to be very clumsy with everything)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm extremely happy that your phone didn't receive much damage, I had a pretty terrible experience once.

I used to own a Sony Xperia S, dropped it several times and each time the sides or something got chipped. In total I dropped it thrice, the last time was on February 2013, I was playing badminton when I dropped my phone.

Initially the phone worked completely fine, no scratches or anything but as soon as I got home, it was completely dead and never got fixed. A good $400 wasted sadly.

I've since realized that Sony products aren't the most durable, I even own a laptop made by Sony and though I've never dropped it it has cracks on the back hinges.

Nokia has a history of durable phones but that does not in any way mean that the new Lumia range is just as durable, my Lumia 520 got quite a lot of scruffs near the sides and two of my friends broke their Lumia 720 and 920.

My honest advice to you would be, get a cover or you'll provably regret it a few drops later.

not true 720 and 920 are some of the most durable lumias yet
i have a 720 ,my mom has a 920
zero damage after falling a whole load of times
though i agree getting a cover is a good idea

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I dropped mine for the first time yesterday. Hopefully the last time. I believe it was bar height since I was in a bar sitting at a bar with my phone on the bar as it slid down. It dropped flat on it's face, I just knew it was done. Not even a scratch. But I don't want to have another moment like that.
Luckily idid have a very thin case which I want to think helped. This is the case I have and I think it's on sale on this site as well. I like this case because it's thin, and now I can say that it does offer some protection.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GURKMP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Any phone hitting the floor risks damage. Many phones avoid damage but sometimes you need change for the pay phone.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
this isn't a drop story per say but close enough.

My father had a Toshiba Satellite laptop (this was in 2004-2005 around) so what happened is that he left the bag with the laptop in it behind a 4x4 (I think it was a Chevrolet Silverado), so when he drove the 4x4 in reverse he ran over his laptop. Surprisingly everything but the screen worked absolutely fine. The screen was damaged like hell but everything else... not a problem so he just plugs it in a monitor and voila he can do his work haha.

My drop story however involves my 920, it's built like a beast. I used to work night shifts at a gas station so being all alone I use my Lumia to listen to some music (Dragonforce, Disturbed and Video Games OST if you're wondering) and place it on my pouch on my uniform, the pouch isn't big enough to fit the whole Lumia in but it can hold, so from time to time I when I'm in the back store filling up the cart I occasionally drop the Lumia from my pocket, now I'm 6'5" so the pouch was about 5 feet from the ground, which btw is a concrete floor. Just a small chip damage on the corner that's it. The best part though was when I used a ladder to get something from the top shelf, dropped my Lumia again, this time from about 10 feet. More chip damage but this time the screen has a extremely small crack on it yet you can't feel it when you put your thumb on it and heck you can only see it with direct light on it. Needless to say the Lumia 920 is extremely durable, I sold my old 920 and got a newer one for like 180$ at a local shop in Quebec City (before I moved to Gatineau)

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 1020 five days after I bought it with no case on....it landed on the corner and dented the wooden flooring :p. That said, I have an Otterbox on it now and I have a glass screen protector shipping from Amazon (I have the tendency to be very clumsy with everything)

Yeah...a screen protector on that 1020 might be a good idea 😉 I have a Zagg invisible shield on my 1520 and it's priceless. I don't have one on my SP...i just think it works better without it. But a phone that's in the pocket rubbing off against keys etc. Yeah!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Update: Dropped my 1520 last week. Lower right corner was scuffed. Unseen but holy crap did it annoying the f out of me.

It fell down on rough concrete, probably corner then face down. (roads here are the pits).. I was expecting the freaking worst that it may have shattered to pieces and to my big surprise, not a SINGLE scratch on the screen.

I was so relieved and bought a case the next day. I still sometimes use it naked but most of the time it's covered now. The case doesn't even bother me because of how huge the phone is.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Lumia 1520, but I do have a Lumia 520...

I have dropped my phones many times. All I did was pick it up, check if the screen was okay. Never bothered with the rest of the phone lol, I didn't think there will be any damage to the phone body

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Luckily, I haven't dropped my 1520 so far. My wife, however, dropped her 1020 on the asphalt outside school about 2 weeks after she bought it. The phone is fine. All she had to do was pick asphalt off of the phone. No scratches, dents, or divots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon