Announcement to Release - Too long of a lag... Why can't MS learn this?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft seems to be great at announcing new devices, and then letting them drift off into distant memory before they actually arrive on store shelves for purchase.

Why can't they take a lesson from Apple in this regard. Announce a phone, and RELEASE IT! Don't announce a phone and say... "It's coming..."

People move on to bigger and better things and by the time the phone actually shows up - people forgot about what was so great about it in the first place.

God dammit, seriously Microsoft. Get your $h1# together!

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Or even just announce a solid release date. I wouldn't mind if I knew the date. I have no issue waiting a week or two to buy the iPhone for my wife.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of things you would think they would do differently after doing the same thing three or four times... I wish it were different and in time, maybe it will be. For mow, expect it to continue, detriment and all.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Or even just announce a solid release date. I wouldn't mind if I knew the date. I have no issue waiting a week or two to buy the iPhone for my wife.
This is what bothers me more than anything. If we're gonna be asked to wait, at least let us know how long exactly. No one likes being told junk like "it'll be released Q4 2014" or "before the holiday season". That could mean anything!

... or they could stick to their word and globally release it this month like they said they would at #moreLumia

truthsforme

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has something to do with which carriers support the phones they announce, and the dates the carriers want for the phone. Not everything is in Microsoft's hands, considering they have less than 4% market share.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Have been thinking exactly the same thing. Apple to their credit announce a date for an event, on that date they announce the phone, when you can get it, where from and for how much. Consumers can make a decision based on this. Microsoft announce a phone that will be available in some markets on some vague date in the future. Often before said phone arrives its successor has been heavily rumoured or even confirmed. All this does is confuse people about what to buy. Regulars on these forums will be very familiar with folks asking questions along the lines of "should I get X phone or wait until Y comes out?" I suspect many of these people don't end up buying a windows phone at all in the end as Microsoft dont send out the right buying cues.

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping this is something which will change for the better once MS starts exerting more influence on its device pipeline.

Maybe they don't have the manufacturing side at the high end as nailed down as they would like and they have to balance that against optimum times to unveil. This might result in a scenario where there is uncertainty as to how much stock they can produce by a certain time.

Complete speculation on my part, but I can't believe that they are being purposefully vague, particularly when Apple are universally held up as the benchmark for a well organised product launch.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has something to do with which carriers support the phones they announce, and the dates the carriers want for the phone. Not everything is in Microsoft's hands, considering they have less than 4% market share.

what abt the markets where carriers are not involved? its MS fault only

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Is it MS making the announcement or is it places like this.

However got to admit that they also need to take a world view, it's going to be a year or more between the release of the Xbox One and some countries getting their hands on one, the same with stuff like Cortana, been waiting a good few months now and still no general public release in the UK.

Bob

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 will be available 2nd of October in Finland (SIM unlocked)...
That one won't have the bands necessary for me to get LTE on AT&T USA will it?

I'm willing to import... but I don't think I can go back to having just 4G/HSPA. Tried that when I got the Lumia icon and put it on AT&T.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That one won't have the bands necessary for me to get LTE on AT&T USA will it?

I'm willing to import... but I don't think I can go back to having just 4G/HSPA. Tried that when I got the Lumia icon and put it on AT&T.

At least it would only be temporary, as you could eventually sell it in favor of the AT&T variant when that comes out.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
At least it would only be temporary, as you could eventually sell it in favor of the AT&T variant when that comes out.
Yeah but then I gotta reinstall everything and reach my progress again in games since they made the retarded decision to implement a backup system that recognizes app data without backing it up.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but then I gotta reinstall everything and reach my progress again in games since they made the retarded decision to implement a backup system that recognizes app data without backing it up.

I hear ya. I don't play games on the phone (only console) so I never considered that. I don't mind reinstalling everything so much, but the problem is some apps might not be available anymore. I'm already dreading losing the Flash Video app once I switch out my 1520 for my 830.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ships 2nd October here so that's not too far away, the 930 was a few months!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should take a leaf out of Firefox Phones book.

Launch a new phone via ebay only, and ship worldwide.

It would be a good experiment as to whether demand is there. Make it a cheap, reasonable spec phone, working on all major networks.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should take a leaf out of Firefox Phones book.

Launch a new phone via ebay only, and ship worldwide.

It would be a good experiment as to whether demand is there. Make it a cheap, reasonable spec phone, working on all major networks.
I like that idea.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, this is easily the quickest I've seen Nokia/Microsoft release phones after announcing them. The device is beginning to launch this week, with wider release by next week. If nothing else, it's encouraging.

The problem is still here in the U.S., with Microsoft having virtually no pull given the small marketshare. Lumia needs to somehow appeal to the average Joe and Jane and build a mindless following a la the iPhone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750