WiFi issues on my 930 (I think)

Florin Micle

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I've had an brand new unlocked Lumia 930 for about a month or so and although I love this phone, there are a couple of apps that perform awfully while the rest are doing just fine.

I tried digging a little deeper into the issue, since I have the feeling that my performance problems might be related to the WiFi. I have 2 WiFi networks at home, a 2.4GHz one and a 5 GHz one.

If I run Speedtest.net from Ookla, I get the results I expect: about 40 Mbps on the 2.4 and 130 Mbps on the 5GHz network. All is well.

If I run Network Speed Test from Microsoft Research I get the said awful behavior (on both networks): about one in three tries, the app says it can't connect. When it works, it takes a loooong long time to start the download and then the speeds are abysmal, about a tenth of what I'd expect.

I wonder if there are two different ways in the API to access the WiFi network, one of them working fine (Ookla) and one of them not working...

Any ideas of what could be going on here? I doubt there is something wrong with this particular phone, I don't think the fact that I have an "unsupported" phone on AT&T would affect WiFi performance, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Florin Micle

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just tried my old Lumia 920 and the Microsoft Network Speed Test app isn't working on it either... Gaaaa, I'm really confused now... I guess there is no WiFi issue, those apps are really crappy and slow :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes