Flashing att firmware onto rm985 possible?

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually, yes it absolutely is. IF you have an RM-985 AND if someone could be kind enough to post the product code for the RM-985 AT&T variant then you can use the Nokia Care Suite method for which there is a tutorial on XDA Developers to grab the AT&T Firmware and flash that to your phone. Note that this will not unlock OR lock your phone, but rather simply just load up the updated firmware and content. However the key is that we need someone to post the correct product code for the AT&T variant. As an example, the product code for Rogers / Fido is 059W5G2.

The flashing tutorial is here:
[Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

An incomplete listing of some product codes can be found here:
Nokia Product Code Listing for NaviFirm+ Download - (Nokia 730, 735, 830 Added) - GSM-Forum

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia Care Suite method will work for the 830; I tried it and it was able to flash any of the other RM-985 variants onto the Rogers/Fido Canadian model. However I can't find the RM-983 AT&T firmware variant because I don't know the product code to use to download the firmware in the Data Package Manager in Nokia Care Suite. I also have no idea whether flashing an RM-983 firmware onto an RM-983 would work. I suspect it should as I think the only difference should be in the additional wireless charging standard AT&T added, but I could be wrong so I personally am not likely to risk it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Folks...read around first before flashing. The RM-985 variant is a with additional frequency bands as compared to the RM-983. Cross flashing would jack up your bands for good. Also I have already posted the firmware for all RM-985 devices in the "I have the 830 thread", flash them instead of the ATT variant. You can flash the Mexico CV for a complete unbranded Lumia Denim experience.

Again DO NOT FLASH RM-983 ROM TO RM-985

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
pankaj981 which product code is the "complete unbranded" experience? (sorry, I'm trying to find the thread you're talking about but can't seem to locate it)

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for my ignorance but I do have a question:

I bought the locked Fido/Rogers (RM-985) and I expect to be able to unlock it this week and switch to Koodo/Telus network. Will I need to flash the ROM and why?

Thanks

Ben

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So if I get it correctly, if I want to get updates directly from Microsoft instead or get the developer preview, I would need to flash the ROM before?

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If you bought the phone from Fido unfortunately I wouldn't count on being able to get it unlocked. What I'm hearing from Fido right now is that they are not able to unlock ANY Nokia Lumia phones right now due to a "systems" issue. Apparently their automated system is giving them an error anytime they try to look up an unlock code for any Lumia phone so they have to find the code manualy, which takes their back office people 6-8 weeks. They tried to blame Nokia at first saying Nokia didn't provide them an unlock code for my phone, but when I was able to get Nokia to confirm that they did in fact ship an unlock code to Rogers with the phone, Fido finally coughed up the real reason. I'm hoping some follow up from the Nokia account mgr for Rogers / Fido might help finally get this "systems issue" fixed, as apparently its been this way for weeks.

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the follow-up. They told me 10 business days to get the code and it is supposed to be usual delay to get the code from manufacturer. Does Nokia can provide you a master unlock code? I don't doubt what your are saying but I doubt what Fido is saying. Think I will play the game to fill out a complaint to the CCTS if I don't get the code by Friday. Won't save time but it might motivate them to find the code quicker.

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've started the CCTS complaint already as of Friday. Right now Fido is telling me it could take up to another 3-4 weeks to get the code from them, which is ridiculous.

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow!! They changed from 6-8 to 3-4 weeks all of a sudden? Their BS about system bug is ridiculous. They get the phones with IMEI and the associated unlock code and they are supposed to enter that in a simple database. Nothing complicated there or rocket science. I would be curious if someone else is able to get an unlock code from Fido /Rogers for any new Android phone they launch like the Note 4 for example. I suspect they want to stretch the delay to the max to make sure you don't jump ship and change carrier.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes