Is there a way to "never" install 8.1?

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, the 8.1 install killed my trusty 920, I just ordered a new(ish) 920 as a replacement, and I want to avoid the same fate. I'm guessing 8.1 is going to show up as an available update - question is, will I be able to decline it, and ask never to be offered it again? I'm worried that it will somehow autoinstall itself when i'm not looking.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
there's no such thing as ''turning it on and 8.1 will be there'' lol

updating to 8.1 or not is up to you. You can uncheck the option to download updates automatically. If it's never downloaded, you can never install it. Even if you download it, you can choose to just leave it there and not install it.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

updating to 8.1 or not is up to you. You can uncheck the option to download updates automatically. If it's never downloaded, you can never install it. Even if you download it, you can choose to just leave it there and not install it.

He means to say that when you turn on the phone you might already have 8.1 installed (by the seller)

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
well there's a chance if it's second hand... but the seller would probably mention that on the ad i guess

but a brand new one should come with 8.0 packed right?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
well there's a chance if it's second hand... but the seller would probably mention that on the ad i guess

but a brand new one should come with 8.0 packed right?

I've seen both new and refurbished phones with the latest updates on them coming directly from AT&T. It really depends on the seller and how long the phone has been sitting there.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I really feel bad for the WP users on Verizon. I use Consumer Cellular (which uses AT&T phones and network). Trouble is your phones don't allow you to skip out on Verizon and use a MVNO as you would still be stuck with getting your updates from Verizon. Too be flat out honest if I were you and wanted to be a WP user I would get the hell off of Verizon. Or go with Android or IOS. After what they have done I don't see how Microsoft can stick with Verizon. I know it would mean losing about 1/3 of the cellphone userbase in the US. But as it (Microsoft) has less than 5% of the cellphone sales in the US, so what. As I always say to Verizon "Do not pass go, do not collect 200$."

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

He said he was getting a replacement sent to him so I meant that 8.1 might already be installed when it arrives ;-)

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
When Nokia sent me a new one under warranty, it had 8.1...sadly it was defective and sent it back, so now I have to use a L520 again until they "fix" it

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
why dont you just flash the one that got killed with an old version of wp 8.0 and bring it back to life ??
That's probably what I should have done. I'm only semi-knowledgable about OS, updates, etc, so when 8.1 showed up as an alert on my phone, installing it seemed like a good idea - 8.1 has to be better than 8, right? Unfortunately, my camera went away entirely, my battery life went from about 30hrs to about 4 hrs on a full charge, the phone quit pairing automatically, or sometimes at all, with my car, and the best of all, it started randomly calling people in the middle of the night. Since I'd had it 1yr 11months, and it was a little dinged up, (no screen scratches, but a dent causing the sim door to stick up), I thought I'd be cute and file an insurance claim on it as it was no longer working correctly. that was ridiculously easy, and the Asurion site immediatley told me they'd be sending a 1520 as a replacement. I had misgivings about using a phablet, but all the reviews were very positive, so I thought I was getting a great deal. First day i had it, I was laying on pavement under a car doing a little work, and the new phone slid 4 inches out of my pocket to the ground, and the screen cracked. That phone now gets phantom presses, making it almost unusable - it keeps flipping to Voice Search or Calculator - and I don't want to pay almost $300 to repair it or pay $199 to file another insurance claim and probably get another 1520. Of course, I had to mail in my old 920 when I got the insurance replacement, so reflashing that back to 8 isn't an option. The whole thing has been a headache, especially when I was basically happy with my 920 as it was! I made a couple of errors - filing an insurance claim for the 920, and letting the 1520 slide out of my pocket, but I do feel a little bit justified in that I don't think 8.1 should have destroyed the usability of my phone, and I think a 1520 should be able to withstand a 4" drop without breaking. I really wish Asurion would have sent me another 920, or eben an 830 or 1020 as my replacement - the 1520 is too big and too fragile. And is that matte yellow finish literally the most slippery substance known to man? Is it the same stuff they use for the contact patches on ski boot bindings? Rant over.

On my old 920, I would see the updates available in the Store tile, hit install all and let it do it's thing, but I guess now I'll have to be more selective - I really don't want 8.1. I'm hoping it'll be a one time "no thanks" to the update, and it won't keep coming back.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Never seen or heard of anyone having as much trouble with the 8.1 update as you did. I just got rid of my 1520 as it started to give me RSI. Have you already bought another 920 ??? I think the issue you had will be a one off and you will need the updated OS as all the apps you use will get updated to run on the new OS. my advise, buy a 920, update the OS and if it gives you trouble send it to a Nokia repairers. Good luck

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have a lightly used 920 on the way. We'll see what OS it has when it gets here. Maybe I'll give 8.1 another shot - I could see how the apps might update and not work correctly with 8.

Is that an England rugby shirt I see on your avatar? I gotta fancy them vs SA tomorrow - about time to win one vs the Southern Hemisphere! I'm actually a Welsman living in Texas.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep England shirt but living in New Zealand so last weeks game was hard to watch, looking fwd to the NZ v Wales game should be a cracker :)

Ozzy1320

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Please forgive me for being blunt but why is it that you decide the first time out with your new 6 inch phone that costs as much as house rent to go sit under your car, as I said forgive for being and judgmental but the handling of such devices on your part requires a little more fore thought, maybe its just me. I have a 1320 if does go into my pocket trousers its because I'm at work and decided to get comfortable by taking off my jacket in office. Handy work around the house phone is on a table in arms reach in protective case. Again I apologize for being a nit picker but in my eyes I don't really see any warrant to your rant in the second post.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2