Lumia 820 --> Lumia 830 - Scrolling lag etc.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently made the jump from Lumia 820 to 830 and the scrolling is terrible compared to the L820.

On the home screen, when i have enough tiles so that u have to scroll at least once down. When scrolling down it is smooth, but when swiping it back up there is always a noticeable twitch/lag/frame-rate drop and it is bugging the sh*t out of me. :angry:
Then when u are changing things in menu's and there are drop-down menu's, for instance when selecting if you want 'touch' to be on High or normal, when the drop-down 'animation' happens it lags really really bad! And there are other app's and situations where u notice it (Facebook app runs faster but looks less smooth!) overall this kill's the enjoyment and experience i was previously having with a Windows Phone.

The 820 and its flowing way handling was a joy to behold and use, not so much on this (upgrade?) L830.
My previous phone convinced me that WP8.1 was the platform to be on, and i still believe this to be true, but this phone is not a device u want to sell in this state to win over new costumers. If this would have been my first WP8.1 phone i would have changed back to android after my contract allowed me to.
Now i made the Microsoft choice, and on the last Nokia ever to be built they butchered it :unhappysweat:

This leaves me with a few thought's and questions...I still think Microsoft can be important in the mobile world, but then they need to step it up and make sure that the OS run's smooth on all the devices they sell. This is needed to stay on par at least with Apple in my humble opinion.
I ran away from Android because of that exact problem, and i hate to see it happening on WP8 devices now!

I do have 1 question, could this just be the screen? or are there users here that can identify with this on other WP phones (from cheap to flagship)?
I don't think it is the CPU or GPU, but rather the screen!, my previous phone had lesser spec's but AMOLED screen and it was buttery smooth sailing all along, maybe this makes all the difference?

Person in video talks about and show's the problem around 5:30 into the video

Thanks for reading the wall of text, any reply would be greatly appreciated

Greetings from Belgium :winktongue:

Last edited:

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a 830 (yet... I will be getting one in about a week and so I've been doing a lot of reading on them) so I can't comment on my experience, but it seems like you're not the only one with the stuttering when scrolling up on the home screen. I haven't heard of the other issue with the drop down menus, though, so it might be possible that problem will go away. My only suggestion would be a soft or hard reset, if that's an option. And if not, maybe it will be fixed in an update in the near future.
My 920 also has an older IPS LCD display, and it doesn't have those issues, so my guess is that it is a GPU problem, but I very well could be wrong.
Anyways, I hope it gets fixed, man. :(

Edit: Maybe also scan through this thread. I don't think I've seen anything there, but you might take a look, if you haven't already.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Some people have found out that if you have Cortana live tile as medium or large you will see a lag, when switching back to the home screen from the apps page or moving back to the page with the Cortana tile. Minimizing the Cortana tile or removing it entirely leads to elimination of the lag.

hope it's something that simple.

edit: I do not see a lag on my L830. I've just purposely added another page of tiles to reproduce your scenario, but no lag here.

combined with your other observations it does sound like a hard reset my be worth a try (after you tried a soft reset). If it still doesn't behave then it may be a problem with your L830.

cheers

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I removed Cortana completely, and the problem still persist's.
it's not a huge lag, i can't post a video cause i dont have a device to record it with lol.

But it could be better described as some sort of jittery/stutter/very tiny hickups that prevent it from being observed as smooth.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I removed Cortana completely, and the problem still persist's.
it's not a huge lag, i can't post a video cause i dont have a device to record it with lol.

But it could be better described as some sort of jittery/stutter/very tiny hickups that prevent it from being observed as smooth.

L920 and L830 side by side I do not see a difference in scrolling here.

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I also have a Lumia 830 and it does not lag at all when scrolling up or down. It is fast an fluid.
On the other hand I have a real issue with brightness and black levels that changes with viewing angle.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had scrolling issues with my 830 after a fresh firmware flash (Denim). It used to feel really slow when compared to my 920/925. I was even on the verge of posting it on eBay or the marketplace here considering its an unlocked RM-985 variant. After doing some research, turned out that it had something to do with the firmware and obviously pinning Cortana to the home screen (only for scrolling issues). I flashed it to a different firmware, hard reset, updated to the latest OS via developer preview, reset again and started fresh. I also reformatted my Samsung UHS-1 microSD card as exFAT format and currently using it without any issues.

Some things to consider, the 820 as you mentioned had a more powerful graphics chip than the 830 so games and animations might not always be better on the 830.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 820 also has a better processor, but you know ..
QUAD CORE = ALWAYS BETTER

Lumia 820 = msm8960
Lumia 830 = msm8926

Problem?

versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-s4-plus-msm8960-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-400-msm8926

gjs520820

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have an 820 and was considering the 830, but when I tried the 830 at the microsoft store it had a lag and a resuming delay. Also the screen on the 820 is more vibrant and the contrast is much better (darker blacks). Other then screen size I see no reason to switch....

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Try this: Go to Settings > ease of access > turn off screen magnifier. That's what worked for my 720 at least.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have an 820 and was considering the 830, but when I tried the 830 at the microsoft store it had a lag and a resuming delay. Also the screen on the 820 is more vibrant and the contrast is much better (darker blacks). Other then screen size I see no reason to switch....

The only reason I switched is because my 820's mic was failing in phone call conversations.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I guess the OP is referring to Micro-Stutter, some will notice it and others will not :).

To the OP, try cleaning your screen or proximity sensor and do you have a cheap screen protector on?

Sometimes these cheap screen protectors cause more havoc then good.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^ not always true
Sarcasm friend :winktongue:
CPU and GPU in the 820 is better than the 830.

Single-GPU configurations do not suffer from micro-stuttering. You might be thinking of just being able to actually perceive the frame rate or refresh rate of the screen. What's shown in the video is likely due to the rendering process just hanging up since the 830 uses the lower-end Adreno 305, from what I've heard.

Yeah, the GPU is inferior but it incorporates newer hardware accelerated technologies for a smoother UI experience. If Microsoft offers FULL support for the 830 the lag will go away in a future update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon