Where is the proximity sensor?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem to work with or without a screen protector. Does it need to be enabled, perhaps? (I updated the 'glance' app tonight)

I also added a 'mirror' screen protector tonight and so far everything works as expected, except for the double-tap wake / glance screen. Double-tap to wake has always been spotty with waking up.. usually took 3-5 taps.

Curious if the proximity sensor for wake has something to do with it?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

Double tap to wake is dependant on screen sensitivity and not the proximity sensor. Also after applying a screen protector i would suggest setting the screen sensitivity to high since the screen protector tends to reduce touches to the 830 screen

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

Double tap to wake is dependant on screen sensitivity and not the proximity sensor. Also after applying a screen protector i would suggest setting the screen sensitivity to high since the screen protector tends to reduce touches to the 830 screen

False information. DDTW does use the proximity sensor to detect if there are things covering the proximity sensor. And if there are, the digitizer won't turn on.

Also, if it doesn't work without the screen protector, your screen may be dirty, or your sensor is defective. Try this simple exercise.

Call a random person. Put your phone at your ear, screen facing your face. See if the screen turns off. Then move it away, see if it lights up.

If these doesn't work, your proximity sensor is defective.

Fyi, I use a screen protector on my Lumia 520 without any cut out on the top. DDTW works.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It's a bit late here to randomly call someone (11pm), ill have to try that tomorrow. So far everything (besides double tap) seems to be working with the screen protector so id imagine its not defective.

I updated the 'glance' app today too, so I'm wondering if either my sensor is covered or the update is buggy.

My notifications aren't showing up either (lighting the screen up with banner notifications).

Also, screen sensitivity is already high and is operating as it did before the screen protector was applied.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

False information. DDTW does use the proximity sensor to detect if there are things covering the proximity sensor. And if there are, the digitizer won't turn on.

Also, if it doesn't work without the screen protector, your screen may be dirty, or your sensor is defective. Try this simple exercise.

Call a random person. Put your phone at your ear, screen facing your face. See if the screen turns off. Then move it away, see if it lights up.

If these doesn't work, your proximity sensor is defective.

Fyi, I use a screen protector on my Lumia 520 without any cut out on the top. DDTW works.

Okay you're right about the double tap feature being dependent on the proximity sensor. But as the OP mentioned that his/her double tap to wake works but is spotty which tells me its not the proximity sensor. Secondly I know why the screen does not respond well to touches/double tap to wake on the 830 when with a screen protector. How do I know that? I have a 830.

There are many threads about screen touches being spotty n the 830 after applying a screen protector, not only the screen but also button touches are affected. Only way o get around it is to 1) either use the phone without a screen protector or 2) up the screen sensitivity to high

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

It doesn't seem to work with or without a screen protector. Does it need to be enabled, perhaps? (I updated the 'glance' app tonight)

I also added a 'mirror' screen protector tonight and so far everything works as expected, except for the double-tap wake / glance screen. Double-tap to wake has always been spotty with waking up.. usually took 3-5 taps.

Curious if the proximity sensor for wake has something to do with it?

Tap softly Cortana doesn't like abuse. ( really less is more and it will awaken)

kepner198

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
My notifications aren't showing up either (lighting the screen up with banner notifications).

That does sound like a proximity sensor issue. When I get a text, my phone waits until I pull it out of my pocket to light up the screen. Your phone might think it's in a pocket.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
re:

That does sound like a proximity sensor issue. When I get a text, my phone waits until I pull it out of my pocket to light up the screen. Your phone might think it's in a pocket.
That's what I'm wondering. So if I punch a hole where the proximity sensor is that should (in theory) allow it to work again.. So where is the sensor? 😊

kepner198

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

That's what I'm wondering. So if I punch a hole where the proximity sensor is that should (in theory) allow it to work again.. So where is the sensor? 😊

I think it's between the front camera and top/front speaker, closer to the speaker.

That's what it looks like to me too. Hold your phone under a light and look closely. If you hold it at the right angle, you'll see the sensor between the earpiece and front camera.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

I think it's between the front camera and top/front speaker, closer to the speaker.

Yup, it's right there. With Glance enabled on "peek" covering this area with your thumb will turn the display off completely and uncovering it will show the glance screen after about a second.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
re:

I totally missed sinime's post, and it was the first one!

That was it. Thanks guys. The screen protector simply had a design flaw, I cut that piece off and it works as it should now.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
re:

On a somewhat-related note, this "jedi hand trick" / glance peek, I've never been able to get it to work properly. Is it for developer preview phones only?

I've activated by holding my hand for about 2-3 seconds over the sensor, a few cm from it. Surely that's not as close as you have to be to get it to wake, is it?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

On a somewhat-related note, this "jedi hand trick" / glance peek, I've never been able to get it to work properly. Is it for developer preview phones only?

I've activated by holding my hand for about 2-3 seconds over the sensor, a few cm from it. Surely that's not as close as you have to be to get it to wake, is it?

What is a few cm ? I can activate it at 2.5" to 3" or approx. 6.35cm to 7.65cm.

With that said if I have the battery saver on Now until next charge it's lags a bit. I don't have the preview.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

Awesome! Never heard of the Jedi trick yet I knew exactly what I had to do to try it out. Works every time when I'm some where around 5-8cm from the display. Man that is friggin' awesome!

msalmanbutt

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I had this issue with my phone. Actually the screen protector was covering the Proximity Sensor. I have now broken a small piece of the protector and uncovered the sensor. everything is back to normal now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes