Can I get some help with OIS issues with my Lumia 930?

lethalfriend

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
OIS issues with Lumia 930

Hello Fellows,

I have started facing issues similar to the posted in below thread. There is a video of same issue at YouTube faced by a Lumia 1520 user where he shows that his camera/phone is totally stable yet shaking without doing anything.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...l-image-stabilization-ois-camera-problem.html

I don't have any warranty left to send it back to Nokia. Hence, I would prefer the self repairing tips.

Please help guys so that i can fix it at home somehow. I have experience of opening it's back panel and thats about it :)

Looking forward to your helpful comments/solutions.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: OIS issues with Lumia 930

Hello Fellows,

I have started facing issues similar to the posted in below thread. There is a video of same issue at YouTube faced by a Lumia 1520 user where he shows that his camera/phone is totally stable yet shaking without doing anything.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...l-image-stabilization-ois-camera-problem.html

I don't have any warranty left to send it back to Nokia. Hence, I would prefer the self repairing tips.

Please help guys so that i can fix it at home somehow. I have experience of opening it's back panel and thats about it :)

Looking forward to your helpful comments/solutions.

Unfortunately, the video in the link that was posted is no longer available. There was another video further down that page, but the wavy undulations in the shown screen was not caused by the camera OIS, since the OIS cannot distort the image in that manner.

Members in that thread suggest that the issue is with the gyro not being calibrated, but if this is the case then it should always be shaky no matter the position or orientation of the phone. Also, I think the camera does not consider the absolute values of rotation, but rather the changes in the values of the rotation, to compensate for the actual rotation.

You can check if your gyro (and/or the accelerometer) are still functioning properly with a diagnostics app, such as the Diagnostics Toolset app.

P.S. Just to be clear, are you certain that the shaking is caused by the OIS and not some difficulty with the auto-focus?

P.P.S. Just in case you really want to repair your phone on your own, if opening up the microscopic components of the electronic gyro in your phone is for you as easy as taking the back cover off, then you've got a good chance of actually fixing it.:cool:

lethalfriend

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Well you may search the video on youtube showing the same issue but that would be for lumia 1520 instead.

Regarding OIS issue, i could be wrong because i have gathered this info from different forums that such issues may occur due to faulty OIS.

But whenever i face this issue, i can hear plenty of noise/crackling sound from the Camera, like it's stuck while trying to move in another direction. So this can be due to the Auto Focus mechanism as well, again i am not sure about it as i am no expert.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Well you may search the video on youtube showing the same issue but that would be for lumia 1520 instead.

Regarding OIS issue, i could be wrong because i have gathered this info from different forums that such issues may occur due to faulty OIS.

But whenever i face this issue, i can hear plenty of noise/crackling sound from the Camera, like it's stuck while trying to move in another direction. So this can be due to the Auto Focus mechanism as well, again i am not sure about it as i am no expert.

In addition to using the diagnostics app, you may directly observe the camera lens assembly while the camera is active. If it is the OIS at fault, then you should see the camera lens assembly moving sideways repeatedly. If it is the auto-focus that is at fault, then you should see the lens assembly moving back and forth (forward and backwards) repeatedly.

I've checked the video in youtube, and this
clearly shows an OIS "fault". However, the OIS should not make the audible clicking noises you mentioned. Those noises are usually only present at the moment the camera is activated. I'm interested to know your observations using any of the methods above.

lethalfriend

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Well seems like it's the OIS since it shakes left/right and i hear the sounds like its trying to move but something is blocking it. I don't know how to explain it better. Sound is similar to what you hear from camera if you shake the phone rapidly but it's a bit loud. Or you can say that camera is trying to reach a certain point but something is stopping it and it keeps trying to be there.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Well seems like it's the OIS since it shakes left/right and i hear the sounds like its trying to move but something is blocking it. I don't know how to explain it better. Sound is similar to what you hear from camera if you shake the phone rapidly but it's a bit loud. Or you can say that camera is trying to reach a certain point but something is stopping it and it keeps trying to be there.

Ah, that's definitely OIS. By chance, did you drop your phone? I'm not aware of any quick hardware-level remedies for that defect, but there's a small chance it's software- or firmware-related. You can try the following, arranged in increasing amount of hassle:

1. restarting your phone (simple power off and power on). If that doesn't fix the issue, you could
2. perform a soft reset (press volume down and power button simultaneously until the phone turns off and vibrates). If that doesn't fix it, you can
3. perform a hard reset (go to Settings > about > reset your phone (and all your data will be lost in the process). Finally, if all of these still don't work, you can
4. re-install the stable OS version through the Lumia Software Recovery Tool, downloadable and free (all your data will also be lost in the process). If none of these work, I'm afraid you'll have to
5. shell out some cash in a service center either to just have them diagnose the problem or to have the phone repaired directly.

lethalfriend

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I didn't actually drop it, it was about to drop and i somehow saved it by pressing against the wall. So i think that's what caused this issue. This could be very much a hardware issue. I wanna know if i can somehow fiddle with the camera assembly and fix it.

Moreover, i m grateful for your time and useful tips :)

ovidiurusnac

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that I have same problen. I hear o sound like something si shaking in there. When I try to make a video, those trebidation are annoying. Happen more when I'm in rooms with low light..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes