WTF, battery drops 50% in 20 minutes after wireless charging?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I've just experienced a WTF weird behavior (Feb. 5th, Pic#1) : after a freeze-reboot of my Lumia 830 (whilst writing comments on these forums), my battery had a sudden drop from near 100% to 55%, reporting a discharge rate of 78% and then 151% per hour. A manual reboot did not change the reported battery level, so I shut it down, removed the battery, put it back and booted up: now it shows 95%... :confused:

This also happened two days ago also (Feb 3rd, Pic#2) : it dropped from 100% to under 50% in no time at all, again after a freeze-reboot. On that day, it also had a miraculous 78% magic recharge rate to reach 100% a few hours later.

Obviously those charge/discharge rate are bogus.

The phone had been charging on a QI wireless dock; it has been since this weekend, with no other strange behavior except those two incidents. I usually top up the charge at work, using a wired charger.

The QI charger was bought from Amazon as a DIY module - wondering if this stuff is just too cheap...

Hoping W10 or Denim update can fix this...

Anyone else notice something similar?
Anyone have a solution?

Pic#1
wp_ss_20150205_0002.png

Pic#2
wp_ss_20150205_0001.png

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
How would I go about to re-calibrate it?
From what I've read, these types of batteries don't require calibration (aka, a near-full discharge/recharge).
Feels more like a OS bug issue, something happening during the crash/reboot that reports the battery as having lost half its charge...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How would I go about to re-calibrate it?
From what I've read, these types of batteries don't require calibration (aka, a near-full discharge/recharge).
Feels more like a OS bug issue, something happening during the crash/reboot that reports the battery as having lost half its charge...
OS Bug? I would think it is a faulty device more than a problem with the OS especially all you mentioned was hardware. I guess its your call as to where to go from here. You don't think its the battery or the hardware so I guess what's left is the OS. I just can't tell from that. Is it running Denim?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
OS Bug? I would think it is a faulty device more than a problem with the OS especially all you mentioned was hardware. I guess its your call as to where to go from here. You don't think its the battery or the hardware so I guess what's left is the OS. I just can't tell from that. Is it running Denim?

Well, no problems this morning - it hasn't rebooted nor suddenly lost 50% of its charge... so far!

The crashes/reboots could be an indication of either an OS bug, other app bug, or hardware fault; even if I could find the pattern to reproduce the issue, I wouldn't be able to determine the exact cause.

The phone has 'Denim' (the 830 comes preloaded with it), but not the famed Denim update - still waiting on that, I bet I'll see W10 before Denim Update hits Canada. The Lumia 830s are known to spontaneously crash/reboot, and mine is no exception - it does so every few weeks, sometimes a few times per week - also hoping W10 will fix this.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, no problems this morning - it hasn't rebooted nor suddenly lost 50% of its charge... so far!

The crashes/reboots could be an indication of either an OS bug, other app bug, or hardware fault; even if I could find the pattern to reproduce the issue, I wouldn't be able to determine the exact cause.

The phone has 'Denim' (the 830 comes preloaded with it), but not the famed Denim update - still waiting on that, I bet I'll see W10 before Denim Update hits Canada. The Lumia 830s are known to spontaneously crash/reboot, and mine is no exception - it does so every few weeks, sometimes a few times per week - also hoping W10 will fix this.

Whew! dodged one. Hope it was just a fluke.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Whew! dodged one. Hope it was just a fluke.

/going off topic
Lawl, don't know if the advert boxes scan the page content to match, but suddenly there's a "Fluke networks" add on this page...

Let's try and make these ads more interesting : Gee, I really like Yoga pants. Did I tell you about yoga pants? Yoga pants are great.

#gamingTheSystem ;)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
/going off topic
Lawl, don't know if the advert boxes scan the page content to match, but suddenly there's a "Fluke networks" add on this page...

Let's try and make these ads more interesting : Gee, I really like Yoga pants. Did I tell you about yoga pants? Yoga pants are great.

#gamingTheSystem ;)
ROTFL. Are you using google chrome? I know that browser is uniquely qualified to scan and report everything you say. Which is why I don't use it. lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon