Anyone using the Windows 10 for Phones preview on their L830?

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm using it and now love it. The actionable messages are amazing. There's definitely some lag but I knew that going in. Really gotta get used to the new settings but so far I like it. Cortana looks great and I like the new double size tile. Can't wait to see what they do and give us next.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Daniel Rubino mentioned in his video that the Photos app is probably the buggiest thing he's found so far.

Unlocking and the start screen are a close second, for me anyway. From unlock button to usable start screen is about 5-6 seconds for me. And a lot of funkiness going in with the start screen as well. Ah well...it is what it is. Might try a hard reset...

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
picked up a Lumina 635 go phone did not use a sim card connected to WiFi installed Windows Phone 10 Preview what a great operating system

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I typically don't like preview/beta versions of operating systems because they're often unstable and no where near optimized, as they lack device-specific firmware. But I'm so desperate to install even a semi-stable version of any OS on my Lumia 830 that I'm debating installing the Windows 10 preview. Surely it can't be worse than the random reboot-riddled abomination that is this half-baked version of Denim.

We have no idea when the Western hemisphere will be getting Denim for their Lumia 830s since Microsoft isn't telling us. Should we install Windows 10 on our RM-985s? Curious to hear from anyone that previously had random reboot issues but are no longer experiencing it with the Windows 10 preview.

Are you sure your 830 doesn't have a hardware issue?

When we purchased our 920's two years ago we got 2. Mine worked flawlessly, my wife's periodically restarted.

We exchanged hers and it worked flawlessly.

Just saying - Windows Phone is normally rock solid when the hardware is solid.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My son's work phone, is the Lumia 830. He installed the preview on there so I got a chance to check it out. I have to say, it is surprisingly stable. The one thing I wanted to know about it how apps installed and how well they worked. Everything simply worked. Apps didn't stutter or crash and so far, its pretty smooth. I get that blue screen that's been talked about but it is expected and doesn't seem to adversely affect anything. Looks good to me.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For the benefit of those who haven't put W10 on their 830, here's my experience so far on a U.S. L830 on AT&T.

TL/DR: It's good, try it.

Longer:

Installation took a while. You actually have to do two updates (I think the first one rolls you back to Cyan? I got a screen that says "Welcome to Cyan!") The updates take a while. It was over an hour for me, though I was at my desk at work working on other things in between, so it might take less time for someone who was being more attentive.

Other than the length of time, there were no issues with the installation. All of my contacts, apps, pics, and everything was on the phone, and all but the tiles but Cortana was exactly where I had put it on the start screen with WP 8.1. In fact, the only visual difference on the start screen for me was some different icons. Phone calls, texts, emails (Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo, and MS Exchange for work), FB, Twitter (I use Tweetium), Office, OneNote, and OneDrive all work just fine. Sharing via email and Poki work, too.

I'll skip the reviews of the new apps and features. WCentral coverage has been good on this, and I don't have much to add. Here are the major differences I can report, in order of importance:

-Some bugs. As mentioned earlier, the photos app is new and looks nice, but it's buggy. Whenever you get a photo from it (to attach to an email, for instance) it has a better-than-even chance of crashing. Also, I have a lot of photos on my phone and it doesn't always load the thumbnails in the viewer. I have not lost any photos, and everything gets backed up to OneDrive, but it can be a pain to get them when you need them. Also, the Windows Feedback app is nice (see below), but often crashes.

-Decreased battery life. This is no surprise since I experienced the same thing on my 520 when I initially installed DP to get WP 8.1. The loss isn't terrible, but it's there. Prior to W10 I could go all day and not think about charging. Now by the time I'm going home I'm down to less than 20%. Fortunately the battery life on the 830 was great to start with, so now it's down to just kind of mediocre. (You know, like an Android device.)

-Decreased wifi range. Again, I experienced this on the 520 when I first used DP. And again, it was already excellent on the 830, so this isn't much of a problem. But in most places where I would typically have 5 arcs of signal, now I have 3 or 4. Also, it forgot all of my wifi passwords, but the ones that I have re-entered have stayed, and it connects automatically just fine. I haven't noticed any decrease in data speed.

-Netflix works again! I was getting error code Q8156-887A0004 with the newly updated Netflix app, which seems to be related to the fact that the 830 didn't have "fully baked" Denim. (See my post at http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/329716-why-am-i-getting-error-code-when-i-try-use-netflix-4-0-a.html) That problem is now gone and Netflix works just fine.

-Spotify doesn't! Spotify will load, and I can usually get it to play something, but I don't have song titles and album art on my playlists. This kind of sucks.

-Large tiles. Some tiles can now be large, just like the large tiles on Windows 8. I've only found this on Cortana so far, which may be why Cortana was the only app that wasn't in its original position on my start screen after I installed W10. I'd love to see it on some more apps, like Calendar and News.

-Suggestions. The Windows Feedback app (though buggy) is a great way to submit problems or suggestions for improvements. You can see what other people have suggested/reported and follow them, or put in an idea of your own. I've probably already submitted 10 posts to it in 24 hours. This level of interactivity is actually pretty cool and one of the reasons I like MS products. I can't imagine Google or Apple doing anything this open when it comes to critical things like their operating systems.

Start screen- I like the translucent tiles. It's been fun to play with different backgrounds and themes. (No, there aren't any more theme colors to choose from.) My current start screen is below. I used one of the images that Daniel Rubino tweeted out with the amber theme.

Overall, I really like W10 on the L830. I'm glad Netflix works, I hope they fix Spotify soon (I'm using the emergency backup L520 for music in the car), and I trust that with future updates the bugs will begin to get worked out. The decreased battery life and wifi range are unfortunate, and if I had a phone that was already a little weak in these areas that might be reason enough to roll back to 8.1. But at this point I can live with the bugs, the new apps and start screen are cool, and overall I'm happy enough to keep W10 on the 830.

And if you didn't get W10 on your phone, I feel your pain; I got a Surface 2 for Christmas.

unnamed.jpg

bertsot

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What about the messaging app? Can you send/receive MMS? How about group texts, do they come in as they should? I'm asking for the AT&T 830. This may be the only thing holding me back.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't have the new everything-in-one-place messaging app. Haven't tried group texts, MMS works fine. Heard about WhatsApp bugs, but I don't use it.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the ATT 830. I've noticed that sometimes the photos app will crash when I try to attach a pic to create a MMS, but it works 70% of the time. Just have to try a couple of times. It sends and receives them just fine. I don't know how group texts work as I don't use them.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with the photos app right now is it's trying to download/show EVERYTHING I have on OneDrive. That's multiple gigabytes (30+) of photos plus RAW images from a backed up Lightroom library. Instead of showing local photos with the option to browse OneDrive, it's pulling down everything.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
"The biggest issue I have with the photos app right now is it's trying to download/show EVERYTHING I have on OneDrive."

Yeah, I think that's what it was trying to do on mine as well. It would be nice to have a way of managing that. It seems like it's going to eat up a lot phone storage or a lot of data or both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon