Lumia 735 or Icon?

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I am on Verizon and my choices are very limited. I was hoping to try a Windows Phone and I am not sure if I should buy an Icon (929) on Ebay for about $200 or get the 735 ? or I could wait until 10 comes out and hopefully a new Flagship might make its way to Verizon...

Any advice would be appreciated

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to buy it full retail then you might as well get the Icon for 200 since it is only 8 dollars more than the 735/Leo(I hope they keep that name tbh...I sort of like the lumia names like icon lol).

Personally I am not sure what you have...I assume it is one of the older Lumias, HTC or Samsung models...but you can get the icon.

In the off chance, Verizon doesn't get a flagship you still have the best flagship that Verizon carries and it'll run Windows 10 well until you find out Verizon's plans for Win10 flagships.

I am sure the 735 will be well on windows 10, but you might as well get the best...and that is the icon. Unless you want that Selfie Camera hehe :p
I am on Verizon and my choices are very limited. I was hoping to try a Windows Phone and I am not sure if I should buy an Icon (929) on Ebay for about $200 or get the 735 ? or I could wait until 10 comes out and hopefully a new Flagship might make its way to Verizon...

Any advice would be appreciated

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The $200 Icon is used or refurbished and that kind of scares me.. But the Icon is the way to go? It assume it has 8.1 now?

Thanks so much... and I am not sweating the Selfies!! LOL

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the Icon, Win8.1 and I love it. I have no complaints at all (other than what I would have on any Windows Phone - apps, etc).

Your mileage may vary. You might feel more at ease having a brand new phone and not refurbished also. Tough call!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The $200 Icon is used or refurbished and that kind of scares me.. But the Icon is the way to go? It assume it has 8.1 now?

Thanks so much... and I am not sweating the Selfies!! LOL

Yeah i'd be concerned as well slightly about it...I am in a similar predicament about buying a phone(Lumia 640 XL or 830) and I am not sure about Ebay as I never brought from them and Idk what to expect.

If I recall the lumia icon got 8.1 back in January...Denim, if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't expect to see it get Windows Phone 8.1 update 2 though lol. This is Verizon.

Hmm...if you don't want a refurbished phone and want something brand spanking new with a warranty and you know you are the only one who used it, abused it, etc etc then the 735 is certainly more appealing.

I think it is a lovely phone...if the camera was a little better and the screen was a little bigger(5 inches or more), I'd gladly pick it up.

I am an avid selfie taker so the camera on the front appeals to me a lot but from what I hear the 730/735 is a fairly popular phone in the markets it is available in.

Look at it another way: I am a power user and always have flagships(1520, 1020, 920, etc etc) mainly because I like the cameras Lumias provide(And why i'd never want to own an HTC) but I am downgrading until windows 10 to midrange because I can still do a lot with phones like the 830 and the 640 XL(maybe the 640).

If you want features like the pureview camera(20 megapixels) which is amazing, Awesome video recording, Hey Cortana, 2 GB ram, etc etc then the Icon is for you.

If you don't care about stuff like that but still want an awesome Lumia to hold you out until windows 10 devices come out, then the 735 I am sure will do you well. As 1 GB ram and the snapdragon 400 processor still does a respectable job running WIndows phone.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Get a used icon or m8. If you buy private, you might be able to find a device that is still in warranty for some time. I just switched from the 830 to the m8. There only thing I'm really missing is wireless charging. I've owned the icon as well. The only downsides to that device are heft and no glance. On the other hand, I had a lot of issues with my 830.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to get an icon or m8, get the icon.

One it's cheaper likely and two overall more features/better camera and Lumia apps of course. Just a better overall phone

Also take a look at the Samsung ativ se

But id mainly focus on the 735 or icon.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
As with anything, do research before you buy.
I purchased both of my Lumia ICON's from Ebay. Manufacturer and Seller Refurbuished. 210$ and 193$ respectively. I'd describe them as being like-new in condition. I also purchased a Samsung Ativ SE for 176$ from Ebay in Like-New condition. But I was also checking several times a day to make sure I found the best deal.

But to answer your question.... of 735 or Icon.

Both phones are exceptionally well-made. The Lumia 735 has a 4.7in screen, the Lumia Icon has a 5.0in screen. While I do not own a 735 yet, I can safely say the ICON is NOT an unwieldy device. It is, however, quite heavy for its size.

The ICON has 32GB of internal, non expandable storage. This isn't too much of an issue if you utilize Onedrive. The 735 has 8gb of internal storage that can be expanded to 128gb via micro sd. With Windows 8.1 you'll be able to save apps and files to the micro sd, so the 735 certainly wins in that regard.

The front-facing on the 735 is technically better, but I -never- use my phone as a camera. Ever. So I can't speak to whether or not the Icon or 735 is better in this regard.

The Icon has the Hey Cortana option. The 735 has not. It's a niche gimmick, I've used Hey Cortana maybe 5 times.

I will be picking up a 735 on June 18th via Direct Fulfillment if there are none at my local Verizon. I'll give you my impressions afterwards.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to get an icon or m8, get the icon.

One it's cheaper likely and two overall more features/better camera and Lumia apps of course. Just a better overall phone

Also take a look at the Samsung ativ se

But id mainly focus on the 735 or icon.
Or just get what best suits your needs and tastes.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Or just get what best suits your needs and tastes.

Needs are not overly specific. I want the Windows Ecosystem and a good (not great) camera and battery life.. My long range goal is to be full immersed in the OS before I pull the trigger and leave IOS forever. Getting into a good phone now, and hopefully moving into a flagship in the coming months (assuming that I like it) is my plan. I am not a gamer and my video watching is mostly sports highlights and news clips...

I am old school in the fact that my phone is a phone first and a toy second..Phone Calls, emails, Calendar, Texts, note taking are how I spend most of my phone time...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Needs are not overly specific. I want the Windows Ecosystem and a good (not great) camera and battery life.. My long range goal is to be full immersed in the OS before I pull the trigger and leave IOS forever. Getting into a good phone now, and hopefully moving into a flagship in the coming months (assuming that I like it) is my plan. I am not a gamer and my video watching is mostly sports highlights and news clips...

I am old school in the fact that my phone is a phone first and a toy second..Phone Calls, emails, Calendar, Texts, note taking are how I spend most of my phone time...
Sounds like the icon is the best bet then to get the full immersion of the is and Lumia experience many of us fans are fans of :)

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have both (one for work, one for personal). If you can get comfortable with a refurb, then the Icon is a no-brainer. It is still the best Windows Phone available (with the L1520 being equal if you want a phablet). The 735 is a great phone, but everything about the Icon is significantly better except the weight.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Well my decision was made for me... My Verizon Rep is going to give me a 735 for free... and FREE is for ME!! It was shipping today and I should have it by Friday. I appreciate all the advice and I will keep you posted on how I like the new phone.

A friend of mine was also going to sell me a slightly used and in perfect shape 1520 for $250 .. but for that I would need to swap carriers or open a new line of service with ATT... I love the idea of the 1520 but again, this is a cash call..... Going with the Freebie!!!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
That's the only situation where you would get a 735 over an Icon: free 735.

I had a 735 for a week (bought for a friend as a gift and set up for her because she was new to Windows Phone) but a long-time owner of the Icon. The only things the 735 had going for it was being svelte and lightweight, having a microSD slot, and having a removable battery and interchangeable cases. And the microsd slot is too unreliable compared to onboard memory. We bought 3 different memory cards from 3 different manufacturers, formatted them in the settings with a full format, and still had random problems (the card would randomly disappear).

In every other way, the Icon is superior. I really wanted to like the 735. For free, it's great. You do have the advantage that the Verizon model has 16 GB of onboard storage whereas the original version of the 735 had 8 GB.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I got the 735 yesterday. I took it out for a spin last night at my nephews baseball game. The camera was quick and easy to use. The pictures came out nice and clear. I had my iPhone 6+ with me and I found the 735 to focus in quicker than the iPhone. I took some short videos and they were fine. It appears to be a very easy phone to use. I like the size, its fits easily in your pocket.

I am waiting to see on battery life. I took about 50 pictures and videos, made a few calls and search the internet a little and didn't plug it in last night and I woke up this morning to 78% battery left (seems pretty good)

Call quality was good (I only made a few short calls). Setup was a breeze, email accounts and Facebook and so forth. I need to work on the home page to set things up my way, but I am happy with it so far. I have not added all my apps yet and am wondering how I will feel once I get to the point of not being able to have a certain app that I am used to having.

It is not a flagship by any means, but feels like a quality piece of hardware and I like the "square look" of the phone. So far, I am happy with the phone for the money I spent on it (which was nothing).

Matthew Ensor

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same verizon boat and due for upgrade soon (been living with a shattered screen on a 928 for over a year). I'm seriously considering the 735. Seems to have everything I know and love about my WP, being a practical utilizer as well.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Almost a week into the 735 and I have to say that I am underwhelmed. It is a good little phone, but coming off an Iphone 6+ and a LG G4 this phone is a little silly.. I know that it isn't suppose to match up to those monsters, but still the experience was not what I hoped. It is going to go back and I will just wait for the Flagships to come out (whenever that is).

The Windows OS was cool and I can see customizing a windows phone to my exact needs and wants and Cortana KILLS Siri..... So back to Apple and Android for awhile and I will be first in line to get the Windows 10 Flagship whenever it comes out

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Almost a week into the 735 and I have to say that I am underwhelmed. It is a good little phone, but coming off an Iphone 6+ and a LG G4 this phone is a little silly.. I know that it isn't suppose to match up to those monsters, but still the experience was not what I hoped. It is going to go back and I will just wait for the Flagships to come out (whenever that is).

The Windows OS was cool and I can see customizing a windows phone to my exact needs and wants and Cortana KILLS Siri..... So back to Apple and Android for awhile and I will be first in line to get the Windows 10 Flagship whenever it comes out
What exactly to you not like on this phone. I realize the app gap is there but was there something else you didnt like about the 735.

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Compared to the named flagship devices, it is noticeably slower, has a worse main camera, has fewer apps, and is smaller in screen size and resolution. It is $600 cheaper, but all the aforementioned things are definitely true. I like my personal L735, but my work Icon is much better.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I may have jumped the gun a little on the 735. Since I put it away and went back to my Iphone I find myself missing the ease of the 735. Doesn't have the bells and whistles, but it just does all the regular things that you do with a phone daily. I also miss the phones size as well. Pulling out the big iphone every time I need to make a call seems cumbersome after rolling with the 735.

Also, the call quality is outstanding as well..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3