07-13-2015 06:38 PM
75 123
tools
    There was one day I walking into a Samsung retail store, as they promoting the wireless charging capabilities of the galaxy s6/edge. As I'm trying to have fun with my friends to ask them put their phone onto the wireless charger( their phones have no wireless charging capabilities ), one of the sale rep come and said, "only Samsung s6 can do that". Afterwards, I immediately put my Lumia 1520 ( with built in wireless charging ) and when my charging sign pops out, I left that store. :P
    07-06-2015 08:06 AM
    At the store I went to the girl helping me said the 630/530 were selling 'a lot'. Whatever that means... But she at least recognized there is some popularity there. Budget phones you can buy off contract with a decent OS. Some employees are so involved with their platform they feel it unnecessary to cover other options due to the overwhelming popularity with iOS and Android. I can't honestly blame them 100% but they do need to be educated on WP, especially with the coming launch of WP 10. Microsoft needs to step in an incentivize employees and app developers for this coming platform. Only way they can help with an immediate shift in getting these phones in peoples hands.
    07-06-2015 08:11 AM
    I love AT&T as a provider, and their live chat service on the web is absolutely legendary for customer service... but those reps they hire for the stores typically don't even understand the company terms and conditions correctly. I had to have someone online fix massive problems after one of their store derps made a mistake that split our bill into two, and would've cost us $150 more a month (they also killed my mobile hotspot, but it's all resolved now).

There's tiers too... going into any place that's only an "Authorized Seller" you're bound to be serviced by a moron whose only objective is to shove AT&T Next down your throat while spouting loads of misinformation. It does also seem like they're given a handbook on how to be especially stupid concerning Windows Phone.

When I went to get my LG G3, I had my Lumia 930 on me, and was told I should just forget about it and go for the Galaxy S4 because it's in stock and "Anything better 'den a Window Phone." (he said it exactly like that).

I continued going back trying to check on that G3 because I wanted a 3GB RAM phone and wanted to check out the display since news spread that updates fixed the overheating. The same guy was also famous for the line "You might'swell get da S5 'cause da specs better anyway."

... so yeah... nothing but talent at them there AT&T stores.
    920Walker likes this.
    07-06-2015 08:20 AM
    It's really strange, because all the AT&T stores I've been to (about 4 different ones around my area) have all been quite knowledgeable when it comes to Windows Phone, and each of the reps actually used the Windows Phone for their own personal phone. In my local store, they all have Lumia 830s, except one guy that didn't want to give up his 1520.

These are all "corporate" stores, and not the "authorized resellers" or whatever. The ones that are "authorized" are atrocious when it comes to Windows Phone.
    07-06-2015 09:30 AM
    It's really strange, because all the AT&T stores I've been to (about 4 different ones around my area) have all been quite knowledgeable when it comes to Windows Phone, and each of the reps actually used the Windows Phone for their own personal phone. In my local store, they all have Lumia 830s, except one guy that didn't want to give up his 1520.

These are all "corporate" stores, and not the "authorized resellers" or whatever. The ones that are "authorized" are atrocious when it comes to Windows Phone.
    The 640xl that I picked up last week from AT&T corporate store I had no issues with the sales rep. Lady seemed fairly knowledgeable about the phone and it's features.
    Jazmac and SammyD97 like this.
    07-06-2015 12:57 PM
    I love it when we know more than they do, I like to play games with them ask them all the hard question you know they not going to figure out. He'll last time at Verizon I had 3 sales rep working on my question! Were do I hook up the wireless charging to the phone "really"
    Oh my, I've had that too: the best one: an AT&T Employee in trying to answer a question about a Lumia 830 running WP8.1: "according to this help document, you need to upgrade to something called 'Mango'." Me: "um, yeah I don't think that's going to help..."

But in truth, I've been pretty lucky on ATT employees not bashing WP - although I have witnessed a shocked expression in response to my disinterest in looking at other phones. In fact it was ATT employees who introduced me to Windows Phone over iphone and android... although the criteria were pretty slim: I didn't want an iphone and I didn't want an android phone. But still they sold a WP7 phone that day rather than trying to sell me on something else.
    sinime and 920Walker like this.
    07-07-2015 04:33 PM
    There was one day I walking into a Samsung retail store, as they promoting the wireless charging capabilities of the galaxy s6/edge. As I'm trying to have fun with my friends to ask them put their phone onto the wireless charger( their phones have no wireless charging capabilities ), one of the sale rep come and said, "only Samsung s6 can do that". Afterwards, I immediately put my Lumia 1520 ( with built in wireless charging ) and when my charging sign pops out, I left that store. :P
    c8ce9c29f92f1ac70e720562c459b44f.jpg
    xandros9 and libra89 like this.
    07-07-2015 04:48 PM
    Went to the local AT&T shop to check out the Lumia 640 XL. As I'm holding it playing around a store sales guy walks up behind me and says verbatim:

"You don't want to get that phone. Windows sucks. The app store is a joke"

Didn't say "Can I help you?" Or "Do you have a question?" Just that it sucks...

Maybe I am someone that doesn't care about apps, but he immediately bashes it before learning my needs.

Great support from AT&T selling the phones....
    Apps aren't that important to me, but the good versions of Office are. Now my daughter has a different set of priorities. Last night I mentioned to her that Windows 10 Mobile is supposed to be able to run both IOS and Android apps. Her reaction was: "Wow. That would make the Windows Phone the best choice period!" Interesting about face.

I'm still mostly Android, but I bought a 640 XL to try out the Windows Mobile environment. I rather like it and think I will stay if Nokia/Microsoft come out with a flagship model soon - as they are rumored to do...

<TED>
    07-07-2015 07:26 PM
    Lawled at the burn meme.
    07-07-2015 07:52 PM
    I'm on Verizon and when I walk in the store and say I want a windows phone they don't say why or anything they tell me we don't have many windows devices but lets take a look. That's how I got my one m8 for windows
    Jazmac and libra89 like this.
    07-07-2015 08:17 PM
    I'm on Verizon and when I walk in the store and say I want a windows phone they don't say why or anything they tell me we don't have many windows devices but lets take a look. That's how I got my one m8 for windows
    What was the latest one to come to Verizon? The lady said it wasn't good bit I told her I'm into windows and I have the icon and wouldn't be interested in it as per my flagship device.
    07-08-2015 12:48 AM
    What was the latest one to come to Verizon? The lady said it wasn't good bit I told her I'm into windows and I have the icon and wouldn't be interested in it as per my flagship device.
    Lumia 735, if you mean recently.
    07-08-2015 01:05 AM
    No, it was the LG one, don't remember the model name.
    07-08-2015 01:29 AM
    Some of these stories are just crazy. First of all, if I have to visit an AT&T store, i go to the main stores that are dubbed "Company Stores" The ones I have visited in the LA area and San Gabriel Valley are knowledgeable in Windows Phones. As other's have stated, don't go to "Authorized" retailers if you want to get a new phone or need help with a current one. You'll leave worse off than you first started. I had to warranty my wifes 1520 due to some spots on her phone and went to the repair center in Torrance. The tech was surprised I knew so much about WP. So much that he unofficially offered me a job there. Too bad I have transportation issues or I would have jumped at the chance. It didn't hurt when I unofficially helped him with a problem on an iPhone 5S. I was an Apply Guy before I went to Windows Phone. A few have mentioned about how they suggest other phones, such as Android based phones. It's because they get either bonuses or certain perks when they sell them. If Microsoft would give incentives to the carriers to push more WP devices, I'm sure they would. At the end, it's all on preference, as long as you get the assistance you need along the way from a trusted carrier and/or friends who are tech gurus.
    07-08-2015 01:55 AM
    Was it a Corporate store or franchise store?
    Because all the franchise store's I've been in both Verizon & AT&T they treat you like dirt. I will only go to a Corporate store only, I have to drive about 1/2 hr from my house to get to a great Corporate store, which at one time was a Cingular store even then it was great. The sales rep that sold me my new 640XL last week worked for Cingular and was one of the lucky ones that got to stay on with AT&T. She told me she had a Nokia Lumia, but AT&T gave every one an android instead.
    But yeah turn that Employee in. And if it's a franchise store check and see if you have a Corporate store near you, the Employees are really friendly.
    920Walker likes this.
    07-08-2015 03:25 AM
    No, it was the LG one, don't remember the model name.
    You mean the lg lancet
    07-08-2015 12:24 PM
    Yup, that was the one.
    Lord Icon
    07-08-2015 12:26 PM
    I worked in wireless for several years, well before the smartphone implosion and the need for data plans, phone insurance / replacement, etc. I can honestly say that yes, sales force staff are incentivized to sell specific kinds of hardware based upon marketing initiatives and the like. The equipment could be inferior and less desirable than the brand they are more accustomed to selling but they will have to work their tail off to sell it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, even if sliced bread is sitting next to it.

It's the consumer's job to educate themselves on the products available. Research, evaluate, comparison shop, and go into a store only if you need an up close demonstration. You need to vet things for yourself and follow the trust but verify mantra. Yeah, I trust that people have been as unbiased as they could be in reviewing the Lumia 640 XL, but I like to temper some of the fanboyism by actually going into a store and seeing what the fuss is about myself. The phone is huge. Don't get me wrong, there is a reason why they made it that size. Consumer demand. It appears to work for many, and I may eventually be one of those people.

Sales Associates are being trained to be too pushy. Back when I worked retail and started down the same path I had a manager tell me that my approach was anything but sincere and I was risking my job by forcing people to buy into my opinions. I think when I left retail I had gone from various forms of Monty Hall (let's make a deal) to you will buy this from me and like it to finally settling into the routine of asking questions and building a relationship with the customer. If I knew what they wanted, I resisted the easy way out and asked more probing questions to make sure that my answer was truly right (and right for the customer) versus what was right for the store. Granted, this wasn't making me a stellar salesman that could live off commissions alone but I could live with myself. Fortunately I didn't have to live off of my commissions and never took a job outside of high school that paid out commissions. I think that in turn made me a more customer-focused employee rather than a numbers / revenue kind of guy.
    tgp and 920Walker like this.
    07-08-2015 02:14 PM
    Update - I went into a corporate store about 30 mins away and they were def much better. The guy was actually talking up the 640 XL because you got good value for your money. He even said ita pretty amazing MS releases it for $250 no contract when the Galaxy Note 4 is $800 off contract.
    920Walker, libra89 and Likwidz like this.
    07-09-2015 02:12 PM
    I bought this phone myself today. I went to the MS Store rather than AT&T, even though the only variant that Microsoft Stores are selling is the AT&T variant. So I have a black Lumia 640 XL on AT&T. The increased footprint of this device isn't bothering me, as I'm able to hold it comfortably in one hand. If I have to use the phone, it's going to take two hands. That much I've figured out. $250 (plus tax) and you can walk out with a phone that is more than capable compared to similar devices on the market. Oh wait, there aren't too many similar devices on the market. If you escape the pitfalls of a 640 XL vs iPhone 6 debate, you'll realize that the XL serves its owners well as does the 6. Difference being you are paying for a device (the XL) to do things for you rather than buying into an ecosystem (Apple, iOS) to accomplish what you want.
    07-09-2015 05:29 PM
    The real question is would you have been this upset if he would have bashed android or IOS instead while praising windows phone? I don't think so. So stop crying and don't get someone fired because of something this silly. Yes the rep was wrong but you could have told him right then and there that it was wrong and that he should be more professional instead of trying to get him fired simply cause he went against what you like.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    07-10-2015 02:29 PM
    The real question is would you have been this upset if he would have bashed android or IOS instead while praising windows phone? I don't think so. So stop crying and don't get someone fired because of something this silly. Yes the rep was wrong but you could have told him right then and there that it was wrong and that he should be more professional instead of trying to get him fired simply cause he went against what you like.
    I didn't read the entire thread but search show's your post the only time the word fire was used.

But a customer should report things like that to management. That doesn't get someone fired. Management will be able to decide what to do about it. Lets see which is more likely to "fix" the problem? Any number of individual customers telling the associate and maybe having it go in one ear and out the other, or all those customers telling management? If its an isolated case reporting to management is hardly likely to get anyone fired. On the other end of the scale, if customer complaints to management have led to training and talks and it's still happening, firing may be the only option left to management.
    Likwidz and nohra like this.
    07-10-2015 02:54 PM

As far as I am concern​erd it's unprofessional for any sales person to walk over and say something "sucks" before talking to the customer to understand their needs.
    nohra likes this.
    07-10-2015 04:32 PM
    In my example, it wasn't even just WP that was bashed.

If you haven't been attentive thus far: the misinformation is what we're bothered by, not just that some kid in a wireless store said mean things about WP.
    07-11-2015 05:45 AM
    But you wouldn't have been upset if the rep bashed android. In fact there wouldn't be a thread so what are you saying?

07-11-2015 10:59 AM
75 123