Any point replacing the battery?

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is another bad battery life thread but with a slightly different focus than restoring or blocking background apps:

After three years, isn't it about time for a battery replacement? Or am I wrong in thinking that a battery like this will deteriorate over time? I don't know. All battery discussions seem to be about system settings and not hardware. But on my laptop at least, the battery needed to be changed after a few years. Maybe it's not the same thing?

Also I'm wondering how risky it is to get one of those "original" replacement batteries off of eBay, that have the same specs but no Nokia logo.

No Nokia Care Center here in Norway. So if I turn it in to any repair shop here they are likely to use an unoriginal battery anyway. And it would be $100 more expensive than changing it myself. At least.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
You've been doing above average then if the battery deteriorated after 3 years, my devices usually need battery replacement every 1,5-2 years, and I always change it with $20-ish battery as long as it fit and have same spec. No problem at all so far. Getting original battery is the best option but for such an old phone and there are no NCC nearby, I had no other option, cheap battery might only last half a year, but it's only $20 and changing it require less than 15 minutes even for unibody phone, so no problem for me.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input! I'll look for a new battery then, from some reasonably reliable vendor.

I'm probably getting the 940 when it arrives, which is likely to be early 2016 here (just speculation on my part, but probably around there). So this will be a nice enough solution until then. :)

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This is another bad battery life thread but with a slightly different focus than restoring or blocking background apps:

After three years, isn't it about time for a battery replacement? Or am I wrong in thinking that a battery like this will deteriorate over time? I don't know. All battery discussions seem to be about system settings and not hardware. But on my laptop at least, the battery needed to be changed after a few years. Maybe it's not the same thing?

Also I'm wondering how risky it is to get one of those "original" replacement batteries off of eBay, that have the same specs but no Nokia logo.

No Nokia Care Center here in Norway. So if I turn it in to any repair shop here they are likely to use an unoriginal battery anyway. And it would be $100 more expensive than changing it myself. At least.

It's worth it. The 920 is still a great phone. Mine is 3 years old and needs a battery too. There are many good videos showing step-by-step procedures for replacement. If youre adventurous you can try it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did order a new battery. Not the absolutely cheapest option but a reasonable one with one year warrenty. Hoping that this means that there will be a slightly smaller chance of it swelling or exploding. :)

Ironically my old battery has played surprisingly nice these last two days since I placed the order but in any case it still isn't nearly as strong as a fresh one will be.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
To change it, you'll need some Torx screwdrivers. I know you'll need a T4, and maybe a T5 as well (can't remember offhand the size on the outside screws, but I do think they are T5).

It's pretty easy to do, but you might as well order a Torx set off ebay or someplace now, so you're not waiting around when the battery comes. You can get them for around $7 I think. As long as you're getting them, get a set that includes T2, T4, and T5. That will cover everything you need on the 920.

It's a pretty easy swap - I think 3 screws and a couple of snap connectors.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
If you can live with it i suggest getting a power bank that you can use on the go. Batteries do deteriorate over time. The replacement also isnt the easiest from what ive seen. If you do insist, i suggest downloading the video on YouTube - disassembly and reassembly of the 920 (or something similar). I dont really trust those batteries you get online and rather not risk the probability of having a dead phone.

All the best

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I finally had the time to do the battery change, which took only a couple of minutes.

It seems to have made a bit of a change as far as keeping the phone alive throughout the day with limited use. I no longer have to recharge it during the day for telephony and other "plain" use.

If I want to play a game or something like that however the battery life still plummets fairly fast. So I guess the Lumia 920 simply cannot be used for much entertainment away from the charger or a portable power bank as suggested So be it.

EDIT: After breakfast in bed with a few online newspapers, the battery is at 74%. So beginneth the new day.

All in all I'm happy. Will get a new phone soon anyway. Thanks everyone for the feedback! :)

EDIT2: Well, to whom it may concern (others wanting to replace the battery perhaps), after a while the new battery stopped wanting to charge from a computer or power bank. It can only be charged through an electrical outlet.

So I put the old battery back in, which has been sitting unused on top of my refrigerator for two months...

And it's like new now. In fact it's better than when the phone was new with its OS at the time. Life is strange.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2