[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The BLU Win HD LTE?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you just unboxed a BLU Win HD LTE? Is it so recent that you haven't stopped fiddling with it yet?

Give us some quick thoughts on how you like your new device. What stands out right away as a major draw? What seems to be lacking?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Long story - my experience with WP and where I am with this BLU phone.

My first Windows phone was a Lumia 635. The Lumia had replaced a 3 year old T-Mobile G-2 (the original HTC G2 not the later LG G2 flagship phone). I was disenchanted and disillusioned with the Android support model, and wanted a change of pace. I read great things about Windows Phone and specifically the Lumia 635 which looked to be an incredible value as far as capabilities for the price.

I was excited about the Lumia and I really loved it, but a software/firmware update that happened one weekend broke the compatibility my SD card, a 64G Sandisc brand card. Since I use my phone as my main music player and for snapshot photo/video on vacation I need the storage. I was faced with investing in a new micro SD card to replace a perfectly good one that worked, and that I had no other use for. I didn't want to invest a penny in a year old phone with spotty support from the carrier to make it work, and had no use for another 64G micro-SD card. Also, what guarantee do I have that the new card won't have problems? After all, Sandisc is a high quality brand - it should work. That and the fact that T-Mobile wasn't being timely in providing OS updates made me want to go with a new unlocked phone. My initial idea was to get a 640 or 640XL.

Luckily I have a physical Microsoft store very close to my home, actually on my commute from the office to home, so it's extremely convenient for me to actually see the actual hardware for these things in action and touch and try them out. I had read a little about this phone and it intrigued me. At the Microsoft store I confirmed my 635 SD Card incompatibility. There were no unlocked 640 and 640XLs in the store. The only T-Mobile phone was the Lumia phone smaller/cheaper than the 640, and the only 640XL was an AT&T phone. I got to try the Win HD LTE hands on. I was impressed by the phone when I had it in my hands. When I bought the 635 I had looked at the old Win HD but had disqualified it because it was not LTE. I have a company phone and the idea of being able to put that SIM into my phone and have both numbers in a single device was compelling. The fact that BLU is promising an update to Windows 10 when it is available was compelling as well. I have been unhappy with the support from T-Mobile and HTC on my previous phones, so buying an unlocked phone from a company that's making noises about ongoing support was something I wanted to do.

The sale price of $179 sealed the deal. I've been using the phone for about 2 months now I guess and here are my initial impressions.

I love the form factor and the screen. I got the gray phone because I need something more conservative for work and the bright yellow as much as I liked it was too much. The screen is big and bright and bold and the phone is the perfect size, feel, and weight. it comes with a nice simple plastic/rubber case and a screen protector which I use most of the time. The nice lady at the Microsoft store was good enough to install the screen protector for me, and it only has one tiny tiny bubble on the screen part. I've installed these things enough over the years that I don't know that I would have been able to do as good a job as this. :)

The resolution of the phone is noticeably better than the 635. I am extremely happy with the screen quality on this phone. My corporate phone, a Motorola Moto X (2nd gen), is much higher definition, and honestly I can't tell the difference. I guess you have to have better vision for any resolution beyond a certain one to really make much of a difference. The resolution on this BLU phone to me is easy to see much better than the Lumia 635, but compared to the Moto X I can't really tell a difference.

The performance is snappier than my 635. I guess having a gig of RAM makes a big difference. Much less time seeing the "Resuming". The Windows Phone experience is just as great as it was with my 635. The camera is fine but does not seem to take pictures as nicely as the 635, which IMO had a really excellent camera. I am still experimenting with different camera apps to see which one works best with this hardware. So far I like Camera360 Sight, recommended here on this forum.

The speaker is quieter than the 635 was, but sounds fine and is adequate for me. I may take the screen protector off some time, as I prefer my phones and tablets without them in general. Phone and tablet manufacturers take pride in and choose specific glass to work with their devices. I think covering that glass, whether it's a brand name glass or not, with a plastic cover is a disservice to the device in general. Screen protectors tend to not feel as nice as glass and collect fingerprints easier (though the Lumia 635 was the all time fingerprint collecting king).

Another thing I like about the BLU is that the glass is not polarized. The glass on my 635 was polarized, which meant that when I took landscape pictures wearing my polarized sunglasses I couldn't see the picture on the screen unless I removed my sunglasses. The Blu screen is not polarized so that problem went away.

I haven't tried the dual-SIM thing yet. My corporate phone until recently was an old flip phone with a full size SIM. In an effort to get a phone with a compatible SIM, I contacted the phone folks and they upgraded me to a Moto X, which has a nano SIM. I don't yet have the SIM converter to try the nano SIM in my Blu phone. It would be convenient on weekends or some other times when the only way anyone would contact me on my company phone is an emergency to be able to have both my personal and business phones on the same device. So turn off my company phone (which has email, messaging, etc) at 6PM on Friday, take the SIM out, put it in my BLU, and run dual SIM until Monday morning. We'll see how that works.

I recommend this phone - it's a great piece. And it's good to support 3rd party companies who support this great phone platform by buying their hardware. BLU has promised compatibility with Windows Phone 10 when it is available, and has been VERY good about supporting this phone with updates to the OS (much better than T-Mobile was with my 635!). That is the kind of customer service I'm looking for. The screen is beautiful, CPU power is more than sufficient for my needs, form factor is comfortable, camera is good, it supports my 64G SIM card (despite the fact that the specs on BLU's web site say 32G max. According to BLU it's hit-or-miss with 64G cards - most work, some don't.). What's not to like?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL More of a full review... But thanks. That was a good read.

At 294 pixels per inch screen density I think the Win HD LTE hits a sweet spot. It is a nice, crisp display.

For Sim adapter, I prefer the "R-SIM" brand. They have a tough plastic sheet backing the SIM retention slot and a piece of double sided tape o that film will hold your SIM in there like a BOSS...

And yeah, promise of Win 10 Mo is a BIG deal.

v4kerker

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had the my BLU Win HD LTE for 2 weeks. I got this phone to replace my 3 year old Lumia 900.
Pros= Great Price for a non contract phone with good features. Makes and receives phone calls and texts. Right now I can hear phone calls on the ear speaker wondering how long before I need to use the load speaker to hear my phone conversations.
Bright YELLOW! came with a color matching case, charger cord and ear buds.
I can finally change text font size:smile: Just wish we could change font size on screens in the setting pages and or other apps:unhappy:
Cons= no voice with the maps/navigation app. Luckily I found a app without adds to add voice to my navigation app.
Camera isn't as good as the Nokia I had. No micro setting. I take a lot of close up shots.
Had to buy a micro SD card. Not sure if this is really a CON but was confused on what size card I could use. BLU web site said 32 and the unboxing had 64 on label stuck on phone screen.
The screen gets glitchy/blank when scrolling thru or increasing the size of a web page.

The unknown. My PC is running windows 7 so I haven't tried syncing my phone yet to the PC. My new sim card/phone did populate my Outlook and Windows contact list on first major update:smile:

Overall I'll take this phone over a 650.00 dollar phone. The size is just right for me didn't like the size off the 640XL. I almost went with the 640 but the Blu came with the 410 Snapdragon versus the 400 in the 640 and I didn't want a black or white colored phone.

Update: Not sure how good the WiFi is on my BLU. While at work it loses wifi connection and can't find any wifi connections unless I do a full shutdown restart.
Also if you are heavy with the app usage the battery will drain down pretty quick I think. I went from 100% to 15% in 8 hours.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the board, v4kerker.

Cons= no voice with the maps/navigation app. Luckily I found a app without adds to add voice to my navigation app.

You can get Here Maps and Here Drive + on non-Lumia phones now. I downloaded them to my BLU first thing.

Camera isn't as good as the Nokia I had. No micro setting. I take a lot of close up shots.

Yeah. That Camera App doesn't play nice with the Win HD LTE camera. Try going into the App settings and forcing -2ev for exposure. It helps a lot.

Look into getting the ProShot App. So many controls and fine adjustments in there from full HDR with on-camera merger of the brackets to fine control manual focus and so much more... You will want to set up your configuration for Macro shots and save them in the Program mode for quick access.

Had to buy a micro SD card. Not sure if this is really a CON but was confused on what size card I could use. BLU web site said 32 and the unboxing had 64 on label stuck on phone screen.

This happens sort of often with Windows Phone. I think it is from using older manufactured SD card trays (leftover stock). I think that at the time the trays were made, 32GB was the largest and that's the documentation the OEM follows when putting that element into the phone. But 32GB is only HC or higher. Now days, 32GB can also be XC. HC cards can run up to 128GB. The reader will handle HC and XC. I have a 32GB XC card in mine and it works fine. My 1520 states 32GB card in the spec sheets, but I've had a 64Gb in there and many run 128GB SDXC class 10 cards. I would bank on the BLU being the same.

The unknown. My PC is running windows 7 so I haven't tried syncing my phone yet to the PC. My new sim card/phone did populate my Outlook and Windows contact list on first major update:smile:

You can use File Explorer when plugging the BLU into a USB port. There is also the Windows Phone App for Desktop. You may want to check that out.

Thanks for joining the board and checking in.

Sherif Hassanien

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded to the BLU win HD LTE from a Lumia 520. And this phone blows the 520 right out of water in every aspect. Its been much faster, and its responsiveness has been very good. The camera has worked pretty nicely and the pics look pretty decent. I have had it a few months and have had no problems with speed or glitches of any kind. This phone is a great option for its price point. I personally used to have a Samsung Galaxy before my lumia and this phone seems to be just as fast and responsive. If you are on a budget, this is certainly a great option.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Alright Guys and Gals... I'm heading back to my 1520.3. There is nothing wrong with the BLU Win HD LTE, it's just that it is my backup not my main phone. Also, I have an Aquapac coming for the beast and I'll probably test it out in the pool at the gym tomorrow. I've been driving the BLU for a month and I miss the big fella.

[Quick Impression]
This phone really is sold value for the money. Get one if you understand this is an upscale budget device. I got mine for $159 USD and it delivered solid performance for the core aspects of what a smart phone does.

Good:
  • The screen is nice at 720p and looks sharp
  • Snapdragon 410 and 1GB RAM performs well
  • LTE supported
  • microSD slot
  • Dual SIM capable
  • Very pocketable
  • Battery life is good and charges fast
  • No overheat worries
  • Extras in the box
  • BLU states this phone will get Win 10 Mo
Bad:
  • 8GB internal storage is a bit cramped
  • Rear speaker is a bit underpowered
  • Camera needs manual fussing to perform well
  • No Glance or Sensor Core
Do:
  • Get a Tempered Glass screen protector for the look and feel
  • Invest in some Camera Apps and get away from the stock Camera
  • Consider a wearable to extend beyond basic functionalities
This last one is tough. Wearables for Windows Phone are not that common. People who are driving BLU every day are probably on a budget. If you can get a deal on something that works with the BLU it will help ease some of the bargain feel of the device and add a bit of cool factor.
[/Quick Impression]

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Alright Guys and Gals... I'm heading back to my 1520.3. There is nothing wrong with the BLU Win HD LTE, it's just that it is my backup not my main phone. Also, I have an Aquapac coming for the beast and I'll probably test it out in the pool at the gym tomorrow. I've been driving the BLU for a month and I miss the big fella.
[/Quick Impression]

I have appreciated your comments and input on this phone,- It is still my preferred phone for various reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that I can use Internet sharing (my carrier has it blocked on my 640, 640XL and 1320 - my 920 works but the battery life is just not workable anymore)

I like it enough that I am getting another as a backup (Amazon has refurbs - (probably just returned phones) - direct from BLU for $110).

sratansi

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, just been setting up my Blu HD LTE handset, but for the life of me cannot find Here Drive+ anywhere not on the WP shop no other links not sure maybe its regionalised

vladimir_dl

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Change your region to United States and after that get SysApp Pusher from the Store. From there you can install Drive+ That with the forbidden mark. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had ordered one from the Microsoft store a couple days ago, and I'm still waiting for it to come in. Overall I expect it to be a great equivalent to my Z30 (which I can't really use as it won't run the apps I need). I ordered the white one as I thought it looked nice.

Snowlynx

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
My fairly non-technical thoughts on the new one I got last week. I haven't had a chance to fully get into it yet, but overall I like it.
  • Nice build. It's not metal and glass and all that fancy stuff, but still quite nice
  • Right size for me. I don't like giant phones.
  • Screen is quite bright and clear
  • Battery life is great so far. I don't use it a lot (or haven't been playing with it a lot anyways) and I'm 60% with last charge 2 days ago.
  • Call quality and volume seem ok

Negatives
  • Alarm sounds and such aren't very loud
  • Camera is just average.
  • I only get 1 bar cell coverage at home in my office, but that's not necessarily the fault of the phone, my Note4 was similar.

All in all, good purchase for me. Cheap and functional :cool:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is it too early to post a Quick Impressions, considering that it hasn't been a full day yet?

Coming from a Lumia 640, I will start with saying that I'm missing Glance and Double Tap to Wake, along with having that vibration feedback when I press the buttons. (I knew that neither of those things are available for the BLU off the bat though)

So far:

- I'm liking that it feels light in the hand (feels lighter than the 640 actually, which was a surprise)
- The yellow green color (that's how I picture it in my head, because I'll love to have green, and this is the closest I can get) is bright, but great
- The screen feels big but also nice and bright, great quality screen
- Watching videos is a great experience
- Even though the buttons don't have feedback, it's great that they light up at least
- The coverage (and data speeds) actually appears to match my T-mobile branded 640, which I didn't expect at all (the BLU has Band 12!)

Generally, I don't feel like I'm compromising at all. Double tap to wake is convenient, but I don't feel like I'm missing much of anything, considering that the new Lumias (the x50 series) also don't have it. Right now, not having Glance is a slight annoyance, but we'll see how I feel later on.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I know this thread is a bit old, but its sticky so why not.

I received my Blu Win HD LTE on Tuesday this week. My niece opened it up and when I got home I started to set it up. Let's start with the CONS of the phone because they're not that bad:

1) Screen in direct light - In direct light I can see what look like H's which are just the touch screen capacitors. It only is visible in direct sunlight and fluorescent. Its not noticeable unless the screen is off. Its not a big con, it just is what it is.

2) Volumes - The volumes aren't as loud as I had on my Lumia 521, but it seems it varies depending on the sounds themselves. E.g. YouTube videos are quite loud like Adele's Hello music video; however, my ringer has to be on at least a 7 or 8 for me to hear it well enough from my pocket. Not a bad thing, it is what it is.

3) Keyboard - I do have the issue with the keyboard where if I type too quick it doesn't type the letters. I'll have to research more into this and hope Windows 10 will fix it.

4) Camera - While the camera is better than the Lumia 521, it's by no means the best. It works really well for what I use it for taking random pictures of my puppies. That's it.

5) Internet Explorer - On some pages, if there's a lot of background or advertisement data, it freezes. Not a big deal, most of the apps I use do what I would do on IE anyways. I'm waiting for Windows 10 and Edge

Pros:

1) Fast - this thing is very fast, compared to my Lumia 521, it runs circles around it. Apps load quickly, its very fluid, and when I mean fluid, like it makes all my Android phones look extremely slow.

2) Updates - I was shocked that when I started my phone and checked for updates I received 3. 3 separate updates. 8.10.15137.148 is the version I'm on.

3) Screen - the screen is bright and beautiful. Images, videos, etc. look amazing! It with the speed just make this an amazing device. The screen seems a bit better than when I had my Lumia 920 from Verizon 2-3 years ago. I traded it for a Razr M as a lot of the apps I used weren't on Windows phone 7.

4) LTE - In Utah, LTE on TMobile works. I didn't have to reconfigure it or anything, I have LTE at LTE speeds. I was shocked - this may vary depending on the person.

5) Looks - the look of the phone is stylish, its very reminiscent of the HTC phones. It just feels and looks like a quality phone. It feels professional in a way. Android feels less professional, and I think that's from the fragmentation.

Overall, I'm very happy I got this phone. It nice, it works, well, it just is amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon