Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
For those that switched to the iPhone, I have 3 quick questions. If I do choose to switch over from the WP, how complicated is the process to 1) import contacts but still manage them via microsoft (eg outlook.com) 2) use microsoft calendar as the default calendar, and 3) auto upload pictures to onedrive? My whole life is wrapped up with OneDrive and Outlook.com and I really don't want to switch everything over permanently. I'm happy with these services, just tired of constantly hoping that WP will be better "next time."

1 - add your outlook.com account to the built-in email client (or even download outlook app) and BOOM - all contacts are there.
2 - your msft calendar events will sync with the built-in calendar automatically as soon as you add your outlook acct.
3 - download the onedrive app and turn on the camera up load and you are good to go.

It really is that simple, easy and painless - as I've said in other posts, the "Microsoft Experience" is far superior on IOS than it is on WP. Sad, but true.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
MS tried to address the app gap in 2012 by paying off the app companies like Pandora, but it didn't work. Bribery only gets you to v1 with an inferior version and no updates. Also it doesn't address the large swath of indie developers on iOS who will never develop for Windows Mobile.

Let's face it - they lost the mobile wars back in the early 2000s when Apple was doing R&D on the iPhone and iOS while MS was mucking around with Windows CE and Kin phones.

By 2010, it was already over. All the millions of message board posts whining about the 'app gap' on Windows Central were pointless. This forum might as well not have existed.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I thought they were all pulled? Wonder what the reason is for withdrawal.

Store Rep. said, they'll be lunched around mid-Nov.
Amazing device. shame, they don't have it ready.

LOLL i offered the Rep. 2000 $ to let me take that lumia 950 XL - of course he couldn't let me.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know Asurion isn't a part of MS, I HAD NO CLUE.
The point is that since no phone of near quality/value has been replaced they can't offer me anything, THAT IS MICROSOFTS fault 100%.
You are delusional. It's NOT Microsoft's fault they don't continue to make every phone they or Nokia ever did so you can have one later. I have a 1978 Trans Am WS6 I ordered new. If it ever gets washed out to sea in a tsunami, I suppose you think it will be Pontiac's fault that I can't get a replacement. Microsoft has zero responsibility. You have an insurance contract with Asurion, not Microsoft. Or are you just putting us on?

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So they had one in store. Hope it felt good, I'm dying for one.
They had 4-5 devices for display. They still do - you can go there and play with it as much as you want.
It is the perfect phone i ever held in my hand.
They also have a working continuum dock!

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The point is that since no phone of near quality/value has been replaced they can't offer me anything, THAT IS MICROSOFTS fault 100%.

Sounds like this is Asurion's fault, not Microsoft's. If they can't find a phone to replace the 1520, why can't they just give you the money instead? That's what car insurance companies do when you total your car - since it costs more to repair than what it's worth, they just give you the money. It's not Microsoft's/the car manufacturer's fault that they don't make equivalent products that the insurance company can substitute for.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering if you think that, if you bought an iPhone 4s two years ago, that assurion would give you a 6s now. I really doubt it.

I have spent many hours the last few days talking with ATT + Asurion and they all say there is nothing more they can do if I want to stay on windows phone because there is no option that is equal to the 1520.
All they say is I I can find one in a ATT store and pay full retail they will refund minus deductible and ATT can't find a store with one, eBay isn't allowed by asurion their corporate rep told me over phone
I paid full retail for 1520, no other lower grade WP is acceptable.
I Should just hold out til 950 drops and then demand that as replacement, but that could be next year or get cancelled like McLaren I can't have faith in MS anymore
No point in having insurance when they wont support the phone.
You wreck a Tesla and the insurance only wants to give you value of a Hyundai Elantra you wouldn't be happy either.

Miguel Moreno

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Preorders just started on Microsoft Store France : microsoftstore.com/store/msfr/fr_FR/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL/productID.326664100
Launch date : November 27th

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
"One of my 1520's broke, Asurion has NO REPLACEMENTS and will only offer 640xl or HTC.
imagine offering an iPhone customer an HTC as a replacement."

Not the best comparison-if you want iOS, you aren't going to be happy with anything other than iPhone, as that's the only package it presently comes in. In terms of hardware, with the exception of the camera, the HTC M8 For Windows is a match for the regular iPhone 6 and has the SD 801 where the 1520 has the SD 800.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
"One of my 1520's broke, Asurion has NO REPLACEMENTS and will only offer 640xl or HTC.
imagine offering an iPhone customer an HTC as a replacement."

If you want iOS, you aren't going to be happy with anything other than iPhone, since that's the only package it comes in. In terms of hardware, with the exception of the camera, the HTC M8 For Windows is a match for the regular iPhone 6 and has the SD 801 where the 1520 has the SD 800.
I don't think anyone would argue with that. But its silly for the OP to blame an uninvolved 3rd party for his problem. Microsoft has no obligation to give the OP any phone at all. Its the OP's chosen insurance company who won't give him the phone he wants. The insanity is blaming Microsoft 100% for something Microsoft has zero percent responsibility for. The responsibility is between the OP and the insurance company. If the insurance company is not living up to the contract its on them. If the OP didn't read the policy before paying for it and the policy allows a substitution of a lesser phone, the OP shares some responsibility.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The surface and Microsoft band pre-orders were ready right away because the surface and Microsoft band teams are competent. Windows phone didn't earn its 3% market share by being managed well.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I'm still seeing "[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]Coming soon, unfortunately not yet. Keep your eyes open and subscribe for notification" on Microsoft's page. Anybody hear anything about Verizon getting the 950?[/FONT]

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The surface and Microsoft band pre-orders were ready right away because the surface and Microsoft band teams are competent. Windows phone didn't earn its 3% market share by being managed well.
That's a popular conspiracy - Microsoft killing it's own platform for god knows what reason.
Doesn't pay off
The new CEO is a fan of android
Microsoft is buying apple
Google has bought someone inside WP devision to fail this platform on purpose

You can add some more

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just got an email saying that if I preorder, in Europe, it would be shipped out NO LATER than Nov. 28th. So, before Nov. 28th or the 28th itself.

wyrdfish

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I got the pre-order email in the UK at 1am last night. It said 3rd december delivery date I think, but as the web page loaded it flicked to "email me when in stock" so they are already sold out.

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the pre-order email in the UK at 1am last night. It said 3rd december delivery date I think, but as the web page loaded it flicked to "email me when in stock" so they are already sold out.

Same here. I can't believe they are already sold out. I think the site hasn't been updated. I went on as soon as I got the email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes