Lumia 640 and touch screen question

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I went from a expensive iPhone 5 back in the days, to my first Windows Phone, the cheap Lumia 640 LTE phone - to be honest, I cant feel the big quality difference between my i5 and my WP - so far I'm loving the WP.

However, I have some problems with the touch screen.

I ran WP 8.1 in the beginning, and never experienced any problems with the touch. It always reacted to what I did. Then I did try the Windows 10 preview, and rolled back due to my Gmail not working.

Now I seem to have some struggling with the touch.

Not always though. On the lock screen, and in the metro menu, it always register, without any problems.

When I am in the Store, and for example hold down my finger on the screen, and trying to scroll down, it sometimes registers as a "click" and goes into the App.

Also when I am surfing on Internet Explorer, it happens to sometimes doesnt register at all when I point my finger at the screen and want to scroll down.

When I want to type messages, sometimes it doesnt register on keyboard clicks, etc. when I press "a" it doesnt register it.

However, it did BEFORE my Windows 10 preview. I have reset the phone to Factory Default.

During cold weather in Denmark, I gotta admit that my thumbs are pretty dry - however I am not experiencing any issues on my iPhone 5. But of course, I know that the screen is probably better on the iPhone 5 - which it should be, for that price.

If I press somewhat "hard", and if I'm aware of the issue, I allmost never experience this issue (except one time in IE). Can it be a mix of being used to a high sensitive iPhone 5 screen and dry thumb tips?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I believe the Lumia 640 supports high sensitivity touch screen which would actually make it more sensitive than your iPhone display (you'd even be able to wear gloves and still use the display). You can run into Settings (which I admit is pretty chaotic but is better in GDR2 which your phone is running) and navigate to extras>touch. Make sure it's set to "High."

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
There is no such setting on my Lumia 640 LTE. I've read about it and theres more that says that this option has been removed from the phone.

Can it be a software or hardware issue? And is there a way to fix it?

I doubt its a hardware fault but I can be wrong

It works fine in the menus, its just in the Store, certain games and IE that screws up

Last edited:

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I just tried a touch test, and it seems to work just fine. It registers all my clicks. However, I have to push a little more than on my iPhone. Like, the iPhone is a little more sensitive screen than the Lumia 640.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Can it be caused by dry finger tips? I dont have this problem on my iPhone 5, but hey its also another mobile.

I doubt it's dry finger tips. I wish the Lumia 640 had the high sensitivity as it's great on my Lumia 830 and feels a tad more sensitive than an iPhone display. It could be a small hardware issue where the screen is slightly too far away from the display underneath it. It happens sometimes. Or it could be as simple (and probably is as simple) as the software acting up in the certain places you mentioned.

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
By any chance have you tried a factory reset. I know I know that that doesn't resolve everything but have you attempted that

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android because it's superior to the Windows Phone one

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I have tried a factory reset.

Sometimes, when I scroll on a page, it doesnt register my finger for an example. The weird thing is, if I add another finger, it doesnt register that neither, until I remove my first finger (which it somehow DOES register, but doesnt move with). It is pretty weird.

I've also noticed, that sometimes it doesnt register on the button on the side though, so its not only the display. It happens rarely though, but sometimes, when I press the button on the side from off screen so it turns on, it doesnt always register my push, even though I push it all the way down to the bottom.

Amit Mishra3

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem in L535.. Then I upgraded it to win10... Win10 was in it's earlier days that time so I had to roll back to win8.1.. And ever since I rolled back/flashed my L535's screen started working fine.

I can suggest you two things first check if there's any update available...second check if your screen guard isn't too rough. Screen guard should be smooth otherwise sometimes problems like these happen.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Actually, my Lumia 640 had a update...

The Windows 10 Preview again. How do I sign out og Windows Insider? I have left several times, but it appears that it doesnt sign me out anyway.

I even got the "We're sorry to see you go" when I signed off the Windows Insider preview, yet I still got the update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon