US Microsoft Store prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
The Microsoft Store does not show availability yet but I have noticed price differences now. Anyone else seeing it?

When i first checked tonight it showed the XL for $616.35, when i logged into the student section it shows it for $584.10. Granted i know this means nothing because we can't pre-order online but wondering if the price cuts happening in other countries is also going to hit the US as well.

James

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I hope so. Amazon is now selling the 950xl for 480 euros in the UK, which is the equivlant of $515 usd. That is way less than the $650 in the US MS store.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
When i first checked tonight it showed the XL for $616.35, when i logged into the student section it shows it for $584.10. James

I'm curious, with all the parents of school children high school or college how does MS know parents aren't buying devices using they're children's status to get the lower prices?? I think its honorable for MS to offer discounts but how do they police this??

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i wondered the same thing when i saw the australian prices also came down (after the UK prices) and wrote this in the WC article post also.... but it seems people dont think so...
but i wouldnt be so sure...
i just checked the US store online price - its still showing 649 for me... i know the 586 price is the EDU discount.

Here's hoping either the price comes down or they bundle something "nice" :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
i wondered the same thing when i saw the australian prices also came down (after the UK prices) and wrote this in the WC article post also.... but it seems people dont think so...
but i wouldnt be so sure...
i just checked the US store online price - its still showing 649 for me... i know the 586 price is the EDU discount.

Here's hoping either the price comes down or they bundle something "nice" :)

I have a theory that everyone here can take with a grain of salt.

My theory is that the price went down in other countries because it wasn't comparable to the US price which was announced on October 6. They reduced the prices to make them match the US price better, rather then being so much more. Microsoft is not going to reduce the price in the US, because they announced that it was going to be $649. How would it look for them to take back the very price that they announced in an event for the media?

Of course they can at some point, but I don't think it will happen from the jump.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, with all the parents of school children high school or college how does MS know parents aren't buying devices using they're children's status to get the lower prices?? I think its honorable for MS to offer discounts but how do they police this??
Maybe they limit the number of purchases of a type of product.?.

I don't know about honorable. They only do it in the hopes educated young people will choose it over or before a competitor knowing many people are loath to change.

And they may not even want to prevent parents to buy at a discount. I know its different because it costs zilch to stamp a CD/DVD, but Microsoft used to give Windows away to anyone who took an on-line test about the most basic facts about Windows. It was ostensibly for sales people at stores who sold Computers to make sure they didn't look dumb about Windows to customers. The thing is though they never pre-screened or checked anyone's employment before giving them a copy of Windows that retailed for hundreds of dollars at the time. The prevailing theory was that they wanted to get Windows into the hands of some people that otherwise might not buy Windows AND in a way that wouldn't really anger people who paid for it if they found out. The "just for sales staff" was plausible deniability. How could they ever foresee anyone clicking a box that said they were a salesperson just to get a copy of Windows for free. LoL Point is, MS may want parents to get a deal for some reason we don't know.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I know years ago when I would try to make a purchase in an Apple store with my wife's edu discount I had to have her badge with me. Ive never had to provide any proof for an online order. It comes down to just that - the honor system - which I'm sure plenty of people abuse, unfortunately.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Still $649 for me on the main site and no price is listed at all when I log in through my edu account. FWIW I'm in the Atlanta market. Dunno if that makes a difference.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
How do you even get to the lumia on the edu store? I googled Edu store microsoft and was taken to page where I input my school name and checked a box verifying I attend the school. Then the store it took me to didn't have any phones, that I could find.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Well sorry to start a random debate, price is back to showing at $649 for me now. It must have been a glitch or accident tied to some sale. The price drop was there even without the student discount last night. Well lets hope for a release announcement this week! Still got my B&H Video pre-order, got to love no tax and free shipping!

Mods feel free to close if necessary, thanks!

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Well sorry to start a random debate, price is back to showing at $649 for me now. It must have been a glitch or accident tied to some sale. The price drop was there even without the student discount last night. Well lets hope for a release announcement this week! Still got my B&H Video pre-order, got to love no tax and free shipping!

Mods feel free to close if necessary, thanks!
Most likely you logged in as a student/educator and were seeing the discounted price, but now your cookie has expired. I show the edu discounted price even when going directly to the MSstore website.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe they limit the number of purchases of a type of product.?.

I don't know about honorable. They only do it in the hopes educated young people will choose it over or before a competitor knowing many people are loath to change.

And they may not even want to prevent parents to buy at a discount. I know its different because it costs zilch to stamp a CD/DVD, but Microsoft used to give Windows away to anyone who took an on-line test about the most basic facts about Windows. It was ostensibly for sales people at stores who sold Computers to make sure they didn't look dumb about Windows to customers. The thing is though they never pre-screened or checked anyone's employment before giving them a copy of Windows that retailed for hundreds of dollars at the time. The prevailing theory was that they wanted to get Windows into the hands of some people that otherwise might not buy Windows AND in a way that wouldn't really anger people who paid for it if they found out. The "just for sales staff" was plausible deniability. How could they ever foresee anyone clicking a box that said they were a salesperson just to get a copy of Windows for free. LoL Point is, MS may want parents to get a deal for some reason we don't know.

Two words: Microsoft Technet.

(Yes, I know, it's gone--but MS benefited greatly from that bit of play.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon