950 & Battery Life

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
The 950 has a considerably higher resolution which means the hardware has to work harder to drive it, more so in games.

What games do you play that have a native resolution of 1440x2560? There are none. All the games are in 1080 or lower, so no, the hardware doesn't have to work harder to drive the screen while gaming.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Here's my update after a full day's worth of use on my replacement device from the store. Needle barely moves when on standby.

Completely 100% satisfied with the device. Take my advice. Go get a new phone. Why waste your time trying to break in the battery?

Why would you replace the whole phone? The battery is removable...

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
All these problems make me reconsider not buying it. I've never had such problems with any device I've had before, whether it was a WP, android or iphone. MS seems to ignore a good quality control.

j_the_geek

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Why would you replace the whole phone? The battery is removable...

If there is a fault with the hardware within the phone (maybe CPU is running higher than normal) then changing the battery, in theory, wouldn't make a difference.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
If there is a fault with the hardware within the phone (maybe CPU is running higher than normal) then changing the battery, in theory, wouldn't make a difference.

You would know if something is wrong with the hardware, trust me. The cpu can't run 'higher than normal', if it did, it would more than likely stop working altogether. If there is excessive battery drain and the phone is working, then it's software and not hardware.

Also I had pretty poor battery life when I first used my phone, and now after a couple days is settling in perfectly. To test this, I left it off the charger last night. It was at 67% when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 64%. I left wifi and location on, along with battery saver. The battery drain all the people are talking about is 100% software. You aren't trying to 'break in' the battery, you're trying to 'break in' the software.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Looking at battery consumption this is the breakdown:
System - 33.6%
Display - 56.2% !!!

App consumption:
Store - 27.0% (That's a concern as I haven't spent a while lot of time on the store)
Telegram - 17.1% (Over the past 24 hours I haven't spent a lot of time with the app, but I've used it more than the store).

I can't make it a full day either after buying four days ago. System using 25%, display using 66%. Background apps using 10%. Always warm during use. Brightness adjustment is on.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't make it a full day either after buying four days ago. System using 25%, display using 66%. Background apps using 10%. Always warm during use. Brightness adjustment is on.

Have you adjusted which apps are allowed to run in the background? This will make a huge difference in battery life.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to be good one day, lousy the next. I've noticed now the Messaging app is using about 51% active / 49% background process and is the number one contributor to battery use in "Battery Saver".

I'd really like to know if I should bother swapping the phone with AT&T or if you all think this will be fixed with app/OS updates? I only have a limited window of time to swap so I'm almost thinking it can't hurt to try.

It's strange that all the reviews I've read have stated overall that battery life is good and lasts all day with normal usage. I'm not seeing that. By the time I get home at night I'm at 30% and in most cases haven't even touched the phone more than a few times. That's not right.

It's been almost a week now so the "burn in the battery" isn't making a difference so that's ruled out (in my mind).

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to be good one day, lousy the next. I've noticed now the Messaging app is using about 51% active / 49% background process and is the number one contributor to battery use in "Battery Saver".

I'd really like to know if I should bother swapping the phone with AT&T or if you all think this will be fixed with app/OS updates? I only have a limited window of time to swap so I'm almost thinking it can't hurt to try.

It's strange that all the reviews I've read have stated overall that battery life is good and lasts all day with normal usage. I'm not seeing that. By the time I get home at night I'm at 30% and in most cases haven't even touched the phone more than a few times. That's not right.

It's been almost a week now so the "burn in the battery" isn't making a difference so that's ruled out (in my mind).

I vote that you swap it out. Mine has been much better than the last one so far....

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 930 user here.
With the latest build i had the same results you are having with brand new Lumia 950, phone always "little warm" even in standby, huge battery drain in idle, UBER battery drain during use.

I solved with an ugly workaround, but i now complete every day with at least 30% battery and medium usage.

I just activate battery save on 80% and manually set all the app i needed to use to work in background even in battery save mode.

I'm happy with the actual battery life but i think this is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER do this kind of workaround or feel worried about our phone die before the end of the day. Its a phone! In case of emergency we NEED to have it working, its not a toy nor "fancy gadget", it could (and should) help us in a lot of situations.

well, ok sorry for my little rant but i fought too much for battery life with all my phones (except for lumia 720, that bad boy could complete 2 entire days with medium usage, still miss it) and i'm feeling tired about it

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Do you have glance or hello turned on? Have you adjusted which apps can run in the background? What are your email sync settings? Do you leave a bunch of apps open and running?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy with the actual battery life but i think this is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER do this kind of workaround or feel worried about our phone die before the end of the day. Its a phone! In case of emergency we NEED to have it working, its not a toy nor "fancy gadget", it could (and should) help us in a lot of situations.

well, ok sorry for my little rant but i fought too much for battery life with all my phones (except for lumia 720, that bad boy could complete 2 entire days with medium usage, still miss it) and i'm feeling tired about it

I'm amused that you say this. You must not have any friends with iPhones or even some Androids, who are usually running to a charger every day, because their phone is dying.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok..... 36 hours later I'm starting to see some correlation. At home, on WiFi, phone runs cool, has impressive Battery life. Out and about in LTE, it's decent but phone gets warm, however, at work, where I live off of an ATT repeater network on 4G, phone gets very warm, if not borderline hot, and Battery plummets. Bad modem perhaps? Worth going to a store and swapping, or wait it out? This is the att variant for whatever that's worth. I've reinstalled insider, and am on latest build.

And also, I'm sure this is covered in another topic, but, my touch screen responsiveness seems to have some dull spots, particularly if I'm not holding the phone or otherwise touching it. Grounding issue perhaps? Shipping box was awfully beat up. I figure its either a it works or doesn't kind of thing.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think I may be onto something...

When I got this phone in the mail AT&T shipped a sim card with it. I tossed it aside and just used the sim out of my 1520. My brothers did the same with their new 950s, but not my wife. She used the sim that came with the phone. Meanwhile, her battery life has been great and me and my brothers has been lousy. Coincidence?

Anyway, this morning I swapped out the SIMs with the one AT&T shipped with the phone and activated it. Since doing that this morning with 92% battery life, I'm now down to only 89% at 2:00PM using the phone as I normally would. Previously I'd be at 50% by this point.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I think I'm onto something...

armyamo

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think I may be onto something...

When I got this phone in the mail AT&T shipped a sim card with it. I tossed it aside and just used the sim out of my 1520. My brothers did the same with their new 950s, but not my wife. She used the sim that came with the phone. Meanwhile, her battery life has been great and me and my brothers has been lousy. Coincidence?

Anyway, this morning I swapped out the SIMs with the one AT&T shipped with the phone and activated it. Since doing that this morning with 92% battery life, I'm now down to only 89% at 2:00PM using the phone as I normally would. Previously I'd be at 50% by this point.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I think I'm onto something...

Hmm, if that's the case, I wonder how it'll be with my T-Mo sim with an unlocked 950.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
New phone is restoring backup right now, but not running hot. A little warm, but not hot. Old one there were times where I couldn't touch the screen. Swapped phone and sim card. Also got the last white one in store. I asked how they were moving, he said slowly, buy they were moving.

I wonder if the ones shipped from the warehouse were the first batch or something, wonder if there's any correlation to these Battery and heat issues and purchase location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon