Breaking the Skype/Messaging Link

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 950, set up all my accounts, added Skype, and now my Skype messages show up in the app AND in my Messaging hub. I wouldn't mind, but now I'm getting Messaging alerts AND Skype alerts that I have new messages when I receive a Skype message. I did find a setting in Skype that turns off the messaging alerts for Skype messages, but they're still showing up, even when I'm using Skype on my PC. In two hours of work this morning this has gone past confusing to the point of being annoying.

So, without rambling on any more, how can I separate Skype and Messaging so they both act separately the way they did on my 920?

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I would uninstall skype but than you are left with this horrible skype integration which is not really fit for purpose in any kind. Well You better go with the notification disabling than. also in the skype settings in the messaging app at the bottom you can make this the default skype app - used to be a "which app for notifications"

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
the dots - skype settings ... update the messaging app if you cant see it or use the video app where the settings can be found as well

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Got it, found it. Didn't change anything. Still getting double notifications and messages in both Skype and Conversations.

There's an option to set one or the other as the "default Skype" app on the phone. Do this either in the messaging app settings, or in the Skype app settings. That will resolve the duplicate notification issue.

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Open the Skype Video app from your app list and click on the ... and open Settings. From there you can sign out of Skype. This will break the built-in integration with the messaging app and Skype, so you can just use the Skype app for your Skype messaging.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
There's an option to set one or the other as the "default Skype" app on the phone. Do this either in the messaging app settings, or in the Skype app settings. That will resolve the duplicate notification issue.

I tried this, didn't work, if I have a Skype conversation, even on my PC, I'm getting text message notifications on my phone, even for the messages I'm sending.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Open the Skype Video app from your app list and click on the ... and open Settings. From there you can sign out of Skype. This will break the built-in integration with the messaging app and Skype, so you can just use the Skype app for your Skype messaging.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

^ Yep, I made the Messaging app my default Skype app, which solves the problem of duplicate notifications. However, the Skype App live tile still shows a message count. Is there anyway to deactivate this..?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My suspicion is that you've got co-mingled accounts. Microsoft seems to be a bit aggressive with trying to link accounts which sometimes results in problems

I was running into a problem where if I responded to my wife from my phone it would go to a different Skype account than the one tied to her phone number. But she'd still see the message on her end because those accounts were still linked to her main one. They'd just show up in a different thread, but under the same name. We might have gotten double posts at times, but it wasn't as pervasive as your experience.

So I went through her contact on my device and unlinked her Skype accounts. I deleted them as she no longer uses them, but initially I even ran into trouble with that. I initially wasn't allowed to delete some of those accounts. I recall that I had to go online and even into Skype to remove the accounts there. Then we also went into my wife's account to make sure things were organized properly.

The process was a bit convoluted but in the end it cleared things up and things have been working properly ever since.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I was running into a problem where if I responded to my wife from my phone it would go to a different Skype account than the one tied to her phone number.

The reason why your wife has two Skype accounts is because one is probably her old MSN Messenger contact... & the other her Skype.

Frustratingly, when MSN Messenger + Skype were merged, they never provided a way to merge the two accounts.

In order to send messages to the correct Skype ID (because the Messaging + Skype app seems to choose the old Messenger one by default), you have to unlink the Messenger one. This is easier said than done as there's not information to identify it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes