Why is my 950 always transmitting data?

AtlantaMike

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
950 is always transmitting data

Greetings!

I'm new here (but not to Windows Phone). Nice to meet everyone. :)

On Sunday afternoon, I upgraded to the Lumia 950 at the AT&T store near me. Don't know if it's a Lumia thing or a Windows 10 thing, but I noticed that the signal bars at the top now have little arrows coming out of them that light up when the phone is transmitting.

They are always on.

Sunday night I figured it was just restoring all my stuff, no big deal. But it did this all day yesterday as well. I have pretty fast Wi-Fi, so it really shouldn't be taking this long. When I woke up this morning and looked at the phone, still transmitting.

I looked at the data usage page before I went to bed, and compared it to what I saw first thing this morning, and from what I can tell it appears to be OneDrive. It used 200MB of Wi-Fi while I was sleeping. Not sure if it's downloading ALL my files to my device, or what. I went to the OneDrive app to see what they sync settings are--I couldn't find any. :-( I'd be happy if it didn't sync anything to my phone unless I specifically requested it.

I was wondering if others have been experiencing these problems and, if so, if anyone's discovered a way to mitigate this problem. I have 10GB of photos and files on OneDrive, so if it's going to download 250MB a day and drain my battery, it's going to be a long December!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: 950 is always transmitting data

Hey welcome and congrats on the 950 :) How's it holding up? We've had people complaining about heating issues?

Interesting problem.. The files in onedrive won't sync to the phone, in the sense that it will take up any of your space. Try turning off the option for viewing your onedrive pictures in the photos app (in-app settings)

Report back :)

AtlantaMike

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

No real heating issues--yes it gets a little warm after continued use but nothing I felt was crazy. I do generally keep my phones in a case (got one on order) so I'm probably less likely to feel it getting warm anyway. I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary.

I went to the photos app and found the OneDrive settings (Thanks! would have never thought to look there). I turned off an option that shows cloud-only OneDrive photos in the app, and I had already turned off camera roll backup. It still has up arrows on the signal and wifi bars all the time, but we'll see.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

By chance, have your txt messages fully restored yet or no? Mine has shown data transmitting, but txt's are SLOWLY coming in... I still have a year's worth of txt's to restore!

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

My phone has the arrows above the signal bars too, been that way since I first got it. Data usage is only 129mb after three days. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

By chance, have your txt messages fully restored yet or no? Mine has shown data transmitting, but txt's are SLOWLY coming in... I still have a year's worth of txt's to restore!

i'l be interested to hear about how many of your txts actually sync to your new phone.. i saw someone say they were missing some from the previous year up to about mid november...
Id like to have all my txts sync also....

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

All the more reason to make sure that for at least the first two days you are using data over WiFi and get everything recovered.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

well, on previous phones 100% of my txts synced. the 950 is the SLOWEST i have seen to sync txt. I am now on day 5 and i now have 1.5 years woth of txts, and have 1 whole year to go... it's still going, but it seems as if it does it at the slowest speed possible, as to not impact data speed or battery life.

also, being on wifi didn't make a difference for me....

AtlantaMike

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

It seems like they have. I scrolled all the way back on one contact to about the time I purchased my old phone last year, and they all loaded.

One thing I did was I went to Settings and searched for Background Apps and switched OneDrive off. Not sure what the consequences of that are, but I'm pretty sure the data up arrows are appearing less now. It's going to be tough to tell if that really worked until more time's gone by. I could live with it background syncing my OneDrive if it would just do it faster and get it over with!

AtlantaMike

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

well, on previous phones 100% of my txts synced. the 950 is the SLOWEST i have seen to sync txt. I am now on day 5 and i now have 1.5 years woth of txts, and have 1 whole year to go... it's still going, but it seems as if it does it at the slowest speed possible, as to not impact data speed or battery life.

also, being on wifi didn't make a difference for me....

One thing that would be neat in the future would be some type of app or a way to tell what your sync status is when you first set up the phone. If I pulled down my notifications and it said "we're syncing your OneDrive--you've got ___ to go" or "Getting texts...we're on January 2015" then this whole mystery would be solved. I will say that the battery life, while still not near as good as my last Windows Phone, at least isn't dropping at a super-scary rate like it was yesterday.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Switching the onedrive background task to off means that the photos you snapped won't be automatically uploaded and it also impacts the live tile

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon