950 Wireless Charging (AT&T vs Unlocked)

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok... I purchased the AT&T one since MS will not even tell me when I might be able to get the unlocked version, and I am on AT&T anyway. Obviously, I spent an extra $50 for this privilege.

However, one thing I have noticed is that the wireless charging pad space is divided into two on the AT&T version so as to support PMA. There is one very small pad at the top (PMA?), and one medium sized pad at the bottom (Qi?). Both have their own two connection points to the circuitry.

When I place the phone on my charging stand, it seems to connect and disconnect periodically, and it charges very slowly.

Does anyone actually have the unlocked version that only has Qi? Is the Qi pad larger? I'm wondering if the Qi charging pad was shrunk to accommodate PMA (which is completely worthless to me), and if I would have a better experience with the unlocked version.

Thanks

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
re: 950 Wireless Charging (AT&T vs Unlocked)

Ok... I purchased the AT&T one since MS will not even tell me when I might be able to get the unlocked version, and I am on AT&T anyway. Obviously, I spent an extra $50 for this privilege.

However, one thing I have noticed is that the wireless charging pad space is divided into two on the AT&T version so as to support PMA. There is one very small pad at the top (PMA?), and one medium sized pad at the bottom (Qi?). Both have their own two connection points to the circuitry.

When I place the phone on my charging stand, it seems to connect and disconnect periodically, and it charges very slowly.

Does anyone actually have the unlocked version that only has Qi? Is the Qi pad larger? I'm wondering if the Qi charging pad was shrunk to accommodate PMA (which is completely worthless to me), and if I would have a better experience with the unlocked version.

Thanks

As stated in a prior post, you can call into the Microsoft Store and Pre-Order the Unlocked version of the Lumia 950. I have one on Pre-Order.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a case on your phone? They can limit wireless charging. I didnt have that problem with mineat starbucks with their pma ones . Testing it with my old 920 qi nokia one now.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

actually, like the 830, PMA and QI share a coil. the "very small pad" is actually for NFC. as for disconnecting and reconnecting, it varies from pad o pad, you may possibly not be fully lined up with the coil on the charger. if i'm off by a bit, it does the same with my 920, 830 and 950

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys!

As I said, I use Nokia charging stands (the ones that came out with the 920s), so placement adjustment is really not possible. I don't have any case on the phone. It does charge... it just seems to do so much slower than my 920 used to.

As for preordering from Microsoft Store, my experiences so far with the Surface Book and Pro 4 have not been great. I am still waiting for my i7 SP4 to ship (was supposed to ship by the 20th). I don't find their dates very reliable and I dislike the "Email Me When Available" button. Let me order it online without traveling the hour to get to the MS store... and tell me a realistic date when you can ship it. Doesn't seem that complicated... I have money to spend, and every product they release seems to be in very short supply.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a case on your phone? They can limit wireless charging. I didnt have that problem with mineat starbucks with their pma ones . Testing it with my old 920 qi nokia one now.
Hello, I know this post has been a while, but since I finally got the mozo back with both Qi and PMA ,and just found the only restaurant in entire Canada have those PMA wireless charging spots. However, when I went there paired over $5 for a latte, finding out I need to download an app from PowerMac to charge the phone and conveniently not available for windows device. Which make the charging spot not able to work.
So my question is when you try your phone at starbuck, do you need to download any apps or just simply put your phone on the spot? And if you need to download an app, would you mind share the link of the app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes