Lots of apps blackout when a keyboard action comes up

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well been a few hours with my new 950, I'm coming from a lumia 920 I had for 3 years and one major issue which is probably a WP10 bug is in several apps when you get an area that requires you to type in something the keyboard comes up and then the area you need to type in goes black like the entire background of the screen goes black so you can';t type anything in, sometimes the app out right crashes after that. This is making it difficult to do things.

One example is the loyalty card app, press to add a new card and try and type in a name and it does this, found this with several other apps to.

Any fix to this?

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Well been a few hours with my new 950, I'm coming from a lumia 920 I had for 3 years and one major issue which is probably a WP10 bug is in several apps when you get an area that requires you to type in something the keyboard comes up and then the area you need to type in goes black like the entire background of the screen goes black so you can';t type anything in, sometimes the app out right crashes after that. This is making it difficult to do things.

One example is the loyalty card app, press to add a new card and try and type in a name and it does this, found this with several other apps to.

Any fix to this?

I've noticed this in one app and all I had to do was scroll down (paged seemed to jump up), I don't know if that's gonna do anything in your situation but it did for me. Also I know you can move the keyboard anywhere you want by long pressing on the top of the space bar, there are two little lines to indicate where to click. Might help, might not.

Other than that one time, I've had no problems like this at all.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Their is now way to scroll or move the keyboard around

the background turns completely black, typing does nothing I have to literally shut down the app but on text input fields for these apps nothing will allow me to type text in them making them useless and broken. It's a serious bug.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Their is now way to scroll or move the keyboard around

the background turns completely black, typing does nothing I have to literally shut down the app but on text input fields for these apps nothing will allow me to type text in them making them useless and broken. It's a serious bug.

Have you updated all the apps and the phone? You could also try a factory reset and see if that helps? I'm grabbing at straws here because mine doesn't have any problems like this. If you can't fix it, maybe you should return it and get it replaced?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not the phone it's a wp10 software bug. All apps up to date. You can reproduce it by downloading the app called loyalty cards open it up hit the + option to add a new card and hit the text box to type in the name of a new card, the background blacks out and prevents text being added. This is just one of the apps it happens with

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here are pics

When you tap the text box "name" on the first pic you get the blacked out screen in the second,had this happen with several apps

wpbug1.jpgwpbug2.jpg

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
It's the app, it hasn't been updated in who knows how long (biggest hint? It mentions SkyDrive).

Send a report to the developer and hopefully they are still working on it and can fix it.

Edit: It doesn't do it with a 950 XL.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It does this on the amazon and eBay app when trying to do a search, seems to happen on most apps that have a search box type text input field. Tried changeing colors and themes and does the same thing. Phone works fine other wise. Obvious software bug. I'll just report it to win insiders since no one else can reproduce it.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Huh, just checked my amazon app and it works perfectly fine for me. Let me download that loyalty app and try it out. I'll report back.

EDIT: Everything works perfectly fine for me in both apps. I don't know what's going on with your device, but it doesn't seem to affect every 950. Strange.

I took screenshots to prove it, but I don't know how to add them through the wc app and edge isn't letting me attach them either.

Last edited:

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Did you restore your settings from a previous windows device? I do not look forward to a wipe and starting from scratch unless it guarantee's a fix.

I made a youtube video on it, also I've changed all my background, display colors etc. to see if that fixed it and it did not. I also added it to windows insider and got the latest build which did not fix the issues. Only other oddity is my waze app crashes as soon as I log into waze. Really bummed these issues are hampering my use

https://youtu.be/zsinjF-UI7Y

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Did you restore your settings from a previous windows device? I do not look forward to a wipe and starting from scratch unless it guarantee's a fix.

I made a youtube video on it, also I've changed all my background, display colors etc. to see if that fixed it and it did not. I also added it to windows insider and got the latest build which did not fix the issues. Only other oddity is my waze app crashes as soon as I log into waze. Really bummed these issues are hampering my use

https://youtu.be/zsinjF-UI7Y

I did not restore, I set up as new because I'm coming from android. I also did a factory reset before setting it up for the first time.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucked, factory reset and a few hours of re setting everything up and all is working now. What a bummer restore from my lumia caused all these issues, would have been nice to work straight away.

removed the youtube video since it's no longer valid.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucked, factory reset and a few hours of re setting everything up and all is working now. What a bummer restore from my lumia caused all these issues, would have been nice to work straight away.

removed the youtube video since it's no longer valid.

Some of the legacy lumia apps and/or settings get pulled over from the restore which doesn't play nice with win10. I ran into that issue (general weirdness and/or instability..not your specific black-out issue) a couple of times during beta during upgrades and re-builds. Hard reset with no restore was needed to fix. I agree..it sucks and I have a feeling is the source of most of the issues that folks are having with these phones.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, fixed it by turning my display text size back to the recommended size of 200%

Yea I probably should have switched mine back, didn't think of that at the time after I wiped and configured from scratch I remembered changing that setting and thought that may have been the issue. Oh well it took a couple of hours but I think my install is cleaner now.

They do need to fix that bug for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs