GPS problem

jon2681

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with GPS on their 930 being inaccurate? My problem is most obvious when using a sports tracker app, the track generated by my 930 is awful, jumping around all over the place, I've compared it to a 435, 535 and 820 all of which give a much more accurate track.

Here's an example, I recorded these simultaneously on the three phones:
SideBySide.jpg
The 435 and 820 have nice smooth tracks and record a distance of 2.72/2.73 miles, whereas the 930 track jumps all over the place and records an extra 0.5 miles. I also see the problem when using voice navigation (eg HERE Drive) where it will think I've taken a wrong turn, recalculate my route and then suddenly jump back to the correct route and have to recalculate again.

I have tried speaking to MS through their online chat and they have had me send the 930 for repair at a repair centre, however it came back 3 times from the repair centre with the same problem (1. Reflashed and returned. 2. "No fault found" 3. "Repaired" with no explanation of what they did) The 4th time it went to the escalation team who returned it and it was still the same. After some prompting they sent me this:

"Hi Jonathan,

According to our repair center there was no fault present on the original Lumia 930, in terms of GPS issues. They board swapped, as a gesture of goodwill, all components covered by the warranty were replaced, including any parts which cannot be reused.

The difference you are seeing is due to how the Lumia 930 behaves, compared to a Lumia 435 - both on the original device and now on the swapped device

Kind regards,
Grace
Microsoft Mobile Device Support"

So according to them this is just how the 930 is, the GPS is poor compared to all other phones I've owned. I haven't seen anyone else mention this particular problem so thought I would try and find out if this really was the case. So, do all 930s have GPS behaviour like this, or is it just mine?

Matjaz Erj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have in past this Lumias for walking tracking: Lumia 520, 630, 735, 830, 930, 920, 925. 520 is realy BEST and the 925 worst.

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My 925 records walking tracks perfectly, as per your 820 example (using Runtastic Pro). Here Drive+ also works great. My L720 was also perfect in this regard. I do wonder if some of the later models have inferior GPS performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon