Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Now they want the windows fans who believe in it to help out, test their stuff, feedback what's important in attempt to shape it more into something people want. I also don't think direct comparison to how Android works or how IOS works is what microsoft wants to hear either as it doesn't necessarily matter about HOW but more they would like to know if something in place works and if it's nice to use that way.

Do you think that it might be a problem that they are trying to improve it with the small user base of windows phone fans as the test subjects? What I mean is if 100% of the 2% of smart phone users prefer the WM10 experience, that does not guarantee that it will appeal to the other 98%. I'm not trying to start an argument. Just reading what you said made me realize the flaw in what was said.

The other thing someone previously mentioned regarding letting go nokia's product testers--Nadella seems like he is trying to replace product testers with paying customers. For some that might be fun, but honestly that seems like a strange business model to me. Somehow it seems unethical with the lack of consent to be a test subject. I unfortunately no longer have the energy for it.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I totally agree with Gary,
Luckily MS screwed up my original pre order so i reordered for the second wave but after seeing all the issues being reported here I cancelled that order and decided to wait until early next year and see if MS got their act together with the 950XL..
I do believe hardware is a big issue, I've been running Insider's W10 for a month on my 640XL and other then SMS notification from the lock screen going to the black resuming screen everything else is pretty much glitch free, BT with my Jeep GC has been great and battery life is practically what I had running 8.1 again making me think the battery life issues with the 950XL isn't the OS and background programs rather the phone itself.. If the 640XL had a nicer display and camera I probably wouldn't be looking at all ALTHOUGH I am starting to kick around the idea of picking up a 1520 and putting Insider's W10 on to get exactly where I want to be including a better display & Camera then I have now.. As I said weeks ago I refuse to put down $650 to be a beta tester, I just assume go with a older proven winner then a new not truly tested phone.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Look at all the shining knights of windows mobile here to save the day and defend Microsoft till the very last breath.
Windows 10 mobile is a gigantic mess, the OS, was delayed, and then delayed...and then when you think they couldn't delay it anymore, they delay it again.
The fanboys keep telling everyone else to be "patient". Look at the top 4 trending posts right now, 4 of them are 950 complaints. What a joke.
Microsoft is selling the 950 in stores now, a phone that fails to do the most basic tasks without crashing.
And stop comparing WM10 to Android, android marshmallow had bugs but it wasn't as bad as W10M when it was new.
Which btw lets not forget the fact Marshmallow was supposed to be out AFTER W10M since Microsoft announced they would've released the OS mid of THIS year.
Right now, Marshmallow is already a stable OS, while W10M had almost 0 development progress since the announcement. WP8.1 wasn't this bad when new, especially not after 4 firmware updates. I'm curious to know how many employees do Microsoft really have developing W10M it must be less than 5 people. Or is it just Joe Belfiore, and since he took a vacation, the entire company shut down too?
And also Feedback app? Do they need millions of users to tell them that their phone cant even do basic video capturing without getting an error message? COME ON.
People who paid so much money for these flagships have all the right in the world to be mad.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you think that it might be a problem that they are trying to improve it with the small user base of windows phone fans as the test subjects? What I mean is if 100% of the 2% of smart phone users prefer the WM10 experience, that does not guarantee that it will appeal to the other 98%. I'm not trying to start an argument. Just reading what you said made me realize the flaw in what was said.

Yes I feel it's a problem too. Much rather have a big representation "helping" with the process but I'm not sure what other choice there is, not enough people want to go in on it. I don't consider myself a good tester either cause I'd rather someone else report and have it fixed for me.

Personally I've only used symbian os, meego then windows phone, I don't really feel the same as a lot of people who think the changes from 8.1 are horrible and I'm ok with w10m overall design today. I miss stuff like one handed usage but I think they put enough features to make the important parts easy enough one handed.

It needed to change, not enough people wanted 8.1, no apps no apps no apps, blah. It's really the only complaint but that's what a lot of people want, so make the os the same as possible and increase potential for more apps and go from there I guess!

I dunno <shrug> they weren't going anywhere with the 98% of less than 3% market share that are happy with win8.1 as is...

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I just have to say thank you for this thread. I am a Software Engineer. I've owned a Lumia 920, HTC One M8 for Windows, Lumia 635, and now the Lumia 950.

I have had the same Bluetooth streaming problems. Also Cortana with Bluetooth asks me if she should read a text then doesn't.

Messaging + Skype app kills your battery even if you don't use it. Quick Charge is a lifesaver.

Windows Hello is cool, and I love it. It's the one thing I brag about then when someone seems interested and asks me how I like the phone I tell them not to get it and it is super buggy.

It's been bug after bug with the Windows Feedback App pinned to my start screen. It's just sad, things that worked beautifully for Windows 8.1 do not work for Windows 10 Mobile.

My main problem is that I spent $600 on the Lumia 950 to be a beta tester. Yes, it is beta testing. You can't call it anything different; otherwise you are blinded by your ******-ism. I am a windows phone ****** who told everyone to get a windows phone. Now I am telling everyone not to get one, because I know if they did they would return it and never buy a windows phone again. Be honest, if your friend switched from android or iOS to the Lumia 950 they would think windows phone was awful.

loko ino

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Gotta say I agree. I got the 950 because I knew the button placement would bug me, and I am in the DP Fast ring but getting tired of the step back from 8.1. It's frustrating to not be able to swipe and read a text from lock screen, for the camera to just lock up, fo through random reboots, and have the display brightness always changing. But that what it is, frustrating. I'm not changing phones or professing my hate for MS. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one frustrated.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Just popping in to say that I absolutely love the button placements. At first I thought i'd hate it but it is actually so much easier to use than the other smartphones I've had. Yes, Win 10 mobile needs work and I'm not sure if releasing it to the public without polishing it throughouly first was a brilliant idea, but it is not enough for me to call a phone "garbage".

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
In an age of well-developed and mostly stable mobile OS-es (iOS and Android have come a looong way), restarting from scratch with your mobile OS so often, where it ends up being buggy and unreliable, is a very bad idea. There is no continuity and any non-windows fan who buys a phone with the current WM10 will be mostly frustrated by it.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Just two tips:
-facebook beta app with latest update is near perfect for me with just some bug/delay on notifications
-new firmware when combined with build .36 should fix most of the little issues you are talking about

My 950 is already rock solid on build .36 the firmware will probably solve the once in a while crash, happy!

(p.s. I'm an electronic engineer and a developer like you, I can't believe how you are facing the situation, you are an early adopter of a new HW+SW, you are having problems, MS is patching them, nothing strange; Apple does this, Google does this, Siemens (where I work) does this)

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Complaining that they don't want to be beta-testers for MS, yet they sign up as insider and downloads beta-version of the OS. Stop messing with your phone then. I have the 950 and I wouldn't dream of putting the insider-OS on it. I have had some issues with the device but after the .29 update and the MICROSOFTMDG update i have no more problems with it than I had with my previous Galaxys and IPhones.

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just two tips:
-facebook beta app with latest update is near perfect for me with just some bug/delay on notifications
-new firmware when combined with build .36 should fix most of the little issues you are talking about

My 950 is already rock solid on build .36 the firmware will probably solve the once in a while crash, happy!

(p.s. I'm an electronic engineer and a developer like you, I can't believe how you are facing the situation, you are an early adopter of a new HW+SW, you are having problems, MS is patching them, nothing strange; Apple does this, Google does this, Siemens (where I work) does this)

I think you are missing the point that this is end-users (consumers) that are going through this, not developers. I am also a developer and in fact run a software company, but I need my phone for work to work, not go crazy on me twice a day. "Early adopting" has nothing to do with it, I've been on Windows Phone since WP7 and <angry&disappointed>THEY SHOULD HAVE SORTED IT OUT BY NOW</angry&disappointed>

It's been year after year of 'always somethings' - either no apps, or no stability, or no accessories, or no this or no that or blablabla, always something. I personally am fed up with them going round in circles.

mranieri

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
You know Shobin...I see your Avatar is a pic of the new Corvette....you are aware that the Z06 engines are blowing up and are having all kinds of issues....the new Porsche engine is really stable...

Get my point? I am really enjoying my experience with the 950XL....yes, I occasionally get frustrated but it works for me! I am sorry that your experience is different but that is why feedback is there. At least they are listenening.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Background: Developer, electronics engineer. All in as far as Microsoft goes.

From the 920, to the 1520 and now this heaping pile, I can't believe the 2 steps back attitude someone at Microsoft has. Yes, I have many of the issues posted here and before any of you hardware engineers say it is a faulty device and swap it out, chill. If all of these issues are truly hardware defects, then this is one of the worst deliveries of defective goods ever!

I still can't believe people have to revert to hard resets to address battery drain, etc. I can't think of one time I have had to do this on any other platform.

The biggest thing that ticks me off about this garbage is the button placement. What ergonomic genius though it was a good idea to put the wake/power button in between the volume buttons? Why depart from the layout on the 950? I can't tell you how many times I push the wrong buttons and it has gotten to a point where I am simply just fed up.

The OS is buggy. I still can't go directly to SMS messages from the lock screen, rather I have to stare at a black screen, press the back button then launch the message app. It's been this way for 4 releases now!

Random reboots, camera saving wonkiness, and what in the hell is this Facebook app? It is the worst app ever! Is there anyone at Microsoft in the QA department?

Let's talk about bluetooth streaming. Sometimes it is flawless then out of the blue audio will stutter like a CD is scratched. Hey Microsoft, it's ok to let your testers go to the parking lot to test this stuff out in real cars with real interference, etc.!!

For $800, I expected a flagship phone and what I believe we all got is something in the 1/3 range. Yes, many of you don't have any problems at all *cough* and will want to tell me my hardware is bad but I know it isn't. About the only cool thing is Continuum and even then, getting the WiDi working was even a trick.

SMH. Shame Microsoft shame! Whoever you are paying to QA and lead on this should be fired, seriously. Hire someone who cares!

No mmatter how hard the QA works and posts the bugs, it actually depends on the management or the top project managers to actually prioritize what is gonna be fixed and what not. Currently MS management is seriously facing a lot of issues and there has been no control over it.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I know, like making a call and the phone reboots.
It happened to me when i had all my apps in phone memory and free space was 1.4GB. Because of that low space false alarm it reboots the phone. After that, I moved some games and apps to SD card and problem seems to have vanished. From the way I see it, to stop auto reboot, make sure your device has atleast 2Gigs of free space. Firing Nokia employee was a bad decision. Lately, @Gabe joined WC and I hope @SatyaNadella would join here to clear any doubts regarding MS Lumia Flagships.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
As a "developer", you did all that rant from button placement, reset to resolve battery issues, bugs that exist in the OS but spent the money 800+ bucks on the Lumia 950XL anyway? You didn't read up, visit a MS store and put hands on, talk to people in the ecosystem then make the 800 dollar call? All I can say is if I had your income, I'd be the best dressed engineer at the firm. I mean, 800 bucks based on splashy advertising is one healthy bank account.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Complaining that they don't want to be beta-testers for MS, yet they sign up as insider and downloads beta-version of the OS. Stop messing with your phone then. I have the 950 and I wouldn't dream of putting the insider-OS on it. I have had some issues with the device but after the .29 update and the MICROSOFTMDG update i have no more problems with it than I had with my previous Galaxys and IPhones.

I didn't put the insider technical preview on my phone. I have had lots of problems with it. I would be mostly happy if the battery lasted longer and my Bluetooth connection with Cortana worked like 8.1. Oh and that there was a way to stop autocorrect. Autocorrect is stupid on Windows 10 Mobile. It worked fine for Windows Phone 8.1.

Last edited:

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find Facebook Beta in the Store. I had used it before I reset my phone to use Windows 10 preview. Is MS developing the Beta version or is Facebook?

Thanks for any information.

-Rich

I literally have none of the issues you have stated...
And the ones that's that aren't software issues like the button placement? I actually like it...
Also, use Facebook Beta, much better than the "Facebook" app.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Many Insider users have another phone as their daily driver and others like myself have a simple fix, just revert back to 8.1 if things get too buggy, 950/950XL owners don't have that luxury, they're stuck with the cards they were dealt at a rather large price tag . I've had every Galaxy S series from 2-5 plus the Note 3&4 and in no way did any of them release with as many issues as we're seeing with the 950/XL.. I am happy to hear your 950 is running smooth but sadly many others are not so lucky, is it me or does it seem XL users are having more issues then the 950??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon