Lumia 950 annoying ticking/popping sound while locked

Dante X

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the new Lumia 950, I love it, but recently I am having this Little issue

Some times, when the phone is locked, it will start playing this ticking sound from the back speaker (the one next to the camera). If you listen closely, you can hear the following:
1. The speaker turns on, you can hear static,
2. The speaker turns off abruptly with a "click" sound,
3. The speaker stays off for about 1 second, then starts again from point 1.
This ONLY happens while the phone is locked , and it stops if you unlock the phone. However, once it's started, the only way to stop it is to reboot the phone.

Do you think this is a software related problem or a hardware issue? should I ask for a replacement?

Dante X

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
yes, restart fixed... but the eventually the sound will come again... any fix for this? is Hardware or Software related??

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yep it's happening to me too. No specific time when it does it, certainly not related to charging. Just a random click every now and again when I'm moving around the OS. Because the back creaks a bit too I thought it was this to start with. Hopefully a firware fix will clear it soon.

bma73

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Have had this on my 950 xl too. Two times now that I have noticed it. Both times it have appeared when I lock the screen after using WhatsApp. Only solution I've found so far is to restart the phone.

Update: Just after posting this I pressed and hold the back arrow to close all apps and I didn't see the home screen there. So after closing all running apps the phone got back to home screen and the noise disappeared. Maybe something gets restarted if the home screen also has to restart.

Last edited:

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem on my 950 too, and unlike the previous poster, closing all apps doesn't help, I have to restart the phone to fix it. It does seem to be related to WhatsApp though I cannot exactly reproduce the steps.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I too am having this same issue. Had to restart to get it to stop. It was even doing it when powered down, which is even more strange. Thinking about taking it to att to exchange it for another.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I read the other thread you shared. Saw that Microsoft is aware. Just going to wait it out. Other than this one flaw, I'm loving my 950. Sure beats having to deal with the even more annoying phantom taps of my previous 1520.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
There are plenty things to fix, speaking of speaker/headphone jack, audio, battery etc. Really hope for fixes and more frequent updates, specially for their new flagships.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes