Updated 950XL firmware now offered on Windows Device Recovery Tool

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just seen this pop up this morning. So for unlocked/CV phones, you can get this directly now without having to wait for the OTA.

Software: 10586.13058
Firmware: 01078.00027.15506.02012

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True, it does. But some people

a) Are impatient
b) Don't mind a hard reset
c) Will perform a had reset after a firmware update anyway

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna wait and see first to make sure everything is kosher... my 950XL is running perfectly right now lol

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Are you in the Windows Insider program?

this has been done to death, the firmware is regardless of Insider Program. But, yes I am and cant even get .36 after a hard reset with or without restore on the insider program. If the firmware is on the server, my current Insider status should be irrelevant ans wasnt mentioned as a prerequisite by the OP.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
this has been done to death, the firmware is regardless of Insider Program. But, yes I am and cant even get .36 after a hard reset with or without restore on the insider program. If the firmware is on the server, my current Insider status should be irrelevant ans wasnt mentioned as a prerequisite by the OP.

Just asked to gather one more data point. I read up and down through threads on this site and though there's a mixed bag of who has what OS with which version firmware on the 950 XL, to me there was no such definitive answer stating that the latest OS .36 (via Insider Program) plays nice with the newest firmware. It seems that many either had .36 OS without the updated firmware or that they had the non-latest .29 OS with the newest firmware. I understand that empirical data tells us that firmware and OS build should be irrelevant as they are two different pieces of the puzzle for a phone, just not sure where you got that it was "done to death" and that there is a straight up answer to how they play or interact with each other relative to the 950XL. And if it's something I have missed in past/previous posts...my bad.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft still haven't learned the lesson.

While Apple has one firmware for a given iPhone model worldwide, Microsoft has a different firmware for each and every country where they sell a Lumia.

They should have one firmware for each model, max. Use GPS or look at the sim card, to determine the default language, time zone, region and any other associated settings that are the difference in all these variants.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

While Apple has one firmware for a given iPhone model worldwide, Microsoft has a different firmware for each and every country where they sell a Lumia.

They should have one firmware for each model, max. Use GPS or look at the sim card, to determine the default language, time zone, region and any other associated settings that are the difference in all these variants.

They are being careful. Their update process isn't always the smoothest experience. The insiders help them with this quite a lot. We are Guinea pigs and we love it.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
lets not pretend that the iOS update process is smooth as silk... we are (supposed to be) beta testers on Insider. They have had round after round of botched updates recently, to the general public.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
No reason for the my bad, nothing wrong with your reply. My basis for "done to death" is the update has gone to those on and off insider and with .29 and .36, per posts here. Yet with that the threads continue about not getting it yet. I hate waiting as well but there are many who jump to the 1+1 must = 2. Just because someone on .36 Insider got it doesnt mean thats the only ones getting it.

Just asked to gather one more data point. I read up and down through threads on this site and though there's a mixed bag of who has what OS with which version firmware on the 950 XL, to me there was no such definitive answer stating that the latest OS .36 (via Insider Program) plays nice with the newest firmware. It seems that many either had .36 OS without the updated firmware or that they had the non-latest .29 OS with the newest firmware. I understand that empirical data tells us that firmware and OS build should be irrelevant as they are two different pieces of the puzzle for a phone, just not sure where you got that it was "done to death" and that there is a straight up answer to how they play or interact with each other relative to the 950XL. And if it's something I have missed in past/previous posts...my bad.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
No reason for the my bad, nothing wrong with your reply. My basis for "done to death" is the update has gone to those on and off insider and with .29 and .36, per posts here. Yet with that the threads continue about not getting it yet. I hate waiting as well but there are many who jump to the 1+1 must = 2. Just because someone on .36 Insider got it doesnt mean thats the only ones getting it.

I agree! A lot of patience can go a long way. I guess we can all fall victim to jumping the gun here...most, if not all, who are on this site are fanatics for Windows so we tend to get a lil looney. I guess I should speak myself, haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen