Need help dead flashing a ROM

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a good ROM for my 640 XL LTE Dual Sim, but I am unable to flash it using either Nokia Care Suite or "LumiaFlashTools" from the xda site.

Untitled.png
Untitled2.png

Is there another method?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You've tried the two best methods out there. You may try Windows Device Recovery Tool by pointing to the rom folder (tap on three dots, settings, packages, custom path. Try flashing from a cold boot and have the recovery tool pick up the device before it boots. Try to force it into recovery mode on boot (from off state, press power button and then vol down until you see the exclamation mark). If that still doesn't work you may want to try this on a different PC. If that fails then I'm afraid you have a brick if the phone doesn't boot (not clear whether you are trying to install this rom onto a working phone or a non-working phone).

cheers

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
You've tried the two best methods out there. You may try Windows Device Recovery Tool by pointing to the rom folder (tap on three dots, settings, packages, custom path. Try flashing from a cold boot and have the recovery tool pick up the device before it boots. Try to force it into recovery mode on boot (from off state, press power button and then vol down until you see the exclamation mark). If that still doesn't work you may want to try this on a different PC. If that fails then I'm afraid you have a brick if the phone doesn't boot (not clear whether you are trying to install this rom onto a working phone or a non-working phone).

cheers

I appreciate the help and will give WDRT a whirl. My phone works, but I need to replace the screen which has the classic yellow burn mark on the top right. When I do that, the touch screen feature stops working. Someone recommended flashing the ROM to fix that. At this point, the phone is dead to me anyway, so I don't really care if I do permanent damage. If I can repair it I'll sell it on eBay.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the help and will give WDRT a whirl. My phone works, but I need to replace the screen which has the classic yellow burn mark on the top right. When I do that, the touch screen feature stops working. Someone recommended flashing the ROM to fix that. At this point, the phone is dead to me anyway, so I don't really care if I do permanent damage. If I can repair it I'll sell it on eBay.
If it starts working again when you put the yellow screen back on, it's not a rom problem, it's a bad replacement screen.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Or you get a replacement screen that works. I assume you are referring to this post in which it is suggested to flash the phone with a rom after upgrading the screen. The instructions are for a L535 based on seller notes. I don't see evidence that it will work for the L640XL. There are a number of members here who replaced their screen without this step.

edit1: ok, I just realized that you and the OP from the thread I linked above are the same person and that you are aware of everything related to replacement.

Last edited:

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Or you get a replacement screen that works. I assume you are referring to this post in which it is suggested to flash the phone with a rom after upgrading the screen. The instructions are for a L535 based on seller notes. I don't see evidence that it will work for the L640XL. There are a number of members here who replaced their screen without this step.

edit1: ok, I just realized that you and the OP from the thread I linked above are the same person and that you are aware of everything related to replacement.

I find it difficult to believe I got two faulty replacement screens (of course, not impossible). The display function of both screens works perfectly, but after about a minute, the touch feature fails. I've disassembled and reassembled the phone about a dozen times. The person who replaced their screen in the other thread, only replaced the screen, not the entire screen and frame assembly (which is what I did.) So their situation is somewhat different, and I they also seem to be the only successful screen replacement tale on the WC forums. At this point though.... the value of my phone is quickly going downhill. I may just scrap my plans to repair and resell and instead keep it as a backup.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It is not clear from your posts above whether your original screen works or not. You only mention that it doesn't work when you put your replacement in. If your original screen is not working either that is an entirely different story of course.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
It is not clear from your posts above whether your original screen works or not. You only mention that it doesn't work when you put your replacement in. If your original screen is not working either that is an entirely different story of course.

My original screen works. It just has the 'burned out' looking yellow spot on the upper right corner. Other than that, fully functional. When I put in the replacement, everything works 100%, then after about a minute, the touch feature only, stops working. The display continue to 'display' just fine though.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

cheers

I get this when I follow the steps you outlined:

Untitled.png

Because at this point I don't really care if I totally destroy the phone, I'm going to install the new screen and try flashing it with WDRT just to try. It seems to be my ONLY option at this point.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I get this when I follow the steps you outlined:

Because at this point I don't really care if I totally destroy the phone, I'm going to install the new screen and try flashing it with WDRT just to try. It seems to be my ONLY option at this point.

if you click the three dots bottom right you could try to install a custom/region rom that may be compatible with the phone. You'd have to get that from a different source of course. You point WDRT to the newly created folder with your custom rom.
Anyway, hope this will solve you problem.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
if you click the three dots bottom right you could try to install a custom/region rom that may be compatible with the phone. You'd have to get that from a different source of course. You point WDRT to the newly created folder with your custom rom.
Anyway, hope this will solve you problem.

When I pointed it to the folder, it didn't do anything. It just keeps reverting me to the online option. Perhaps I don't have a good ROM downloaded. But it's almost like it just ignored whatever I had there. (I would assume if the ROM was bad, it would give me an error message.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon