[L950] .1004 upgrade problems :(

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I started the upgrade process and my phone was at 41% battery. The gears spun and reached about half way and hung there for 90 minutes. Then, the phone just shut off. I plugged in the charger and now it just vibrates every 2 seconds or so. I cannot trigger a hard reset using Power/Volume-Down. WDRT is not recognizing the phone either.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Not to run your business, but anytime there is an update, I would plug your phone it while it's updating. You never know when something like that will happen.
Second, try these steps. This will FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE

◾While your phone is completely shut off, hold down both the power button and the volume down button. (if your phone turns on, you need to repeat this process). This combo should be held for approximately 10 to 15 seconds until a vibration is felt.
◾After the vibration is felt, release the power button and keep holding the volume down button. You should now see an exclamation mark on your screen.
◾Now press the following key combinations: Volume up, Volume Down, Power Button, Volume Down.
◾Your phone will now reset itself to factory defaults.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - but there's a wrinkle. It's vibrating every 2 seconds. If I hold the Power + Volume Down, the phone will shut off eventually and stop vibrating, but if I keep holding it (or press the combo again), I release power after the first vibrate but the phone just starts vibrating again. I've held the combo for 60 seconds, I've held it for 20. I just can't get to the exclamation mark. I've done a few hard resets in the past. So I was hoping WDRT would fix this mess but it doesn't recognize the phone. Tried pulling the battery, tried holding the combo, even tried plugging it into my Surface without a battery (phone actually displayed a missing battery, so at least the screen works)... Maybe I need to leave the phone without its battery for a while...

Regarding the power ...
I made a rookie mistake. I'm in the UK on business and there are switches on the wall for the power sockets. I had my phone plugged in but the switch wasn't turned on so no power. In the US, it's much easier to electrocute yourself. Ugh. What a mess.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you tried the 'device not recognised' button in WDRT? It's a pain in the butt, I know, but if you managed to plug the phone in at the right moment, WDRT can pick a phone up, and then go from there. It is hit and miss. I did this on my 930, and after a couple of attempts. If the phone vibrates and then attempts to power up that's when to wack it in there. As I said, it may take a few goes but it worked for me. Shame it isn't as good as the old Nokia repair software. Now, that could restore / rescue a dead phone.

Let us know how you get on :)

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I did try the device not recognized. I choose Lumia and then I see "Waiting for Connection"... then it offers advice of holding power/volume until it vibrates. I've tried powering down then when it first vibrates, plugging it into the Surface. Also left it plugged in and tried a variety of times holding power/vol dwn. Still unrecognized. Really strange. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Tried booting into flash mode (Vol up) and it still ends up vibrating every 2 sec. I think it's dead Jim.

Last edited:

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Try pulling the battary out when Phone is on. My old520 wasn't recognized by wdrt after reset. This helped me. But it showed me :-( so it's a different problem. But you can always try if it's already bricked ;)

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Try pulling the battary out when Phone is on. My old520 wasn't recognized by wdrt after reset. This helped me. But it showed me :-( so it's a different problem. But you can always try if it's already bricked ;)

I did try this - while it was in it's vibration every 2 sec, I pull the battery, put it back in, cover on, press power, immediately vol up and it starts vibrating. Tried the same but plugged into WDRT, not recognized. Thanks - I'll keep trying, maybe one of these times WDRT will recognize it!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Here's a whacky suggestion that I forgot! May sound daft, but, have you just left if plugged as if you were charging it? Maybe the persistent on / off vibration could be lack of power in the battery, especially if the battery power got to critical. Sounds daft but it may just work. Maybe wdrt will pick it up with some juice in the battery??

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's a whacky suggestion that I forgot! May sound daft, but, have you just left if plugged as if you were charging it? Maybe the persistent on / off vibration could be lack of power in the battery, especially if the battery power got to critical. Sounds daft but it may just work. Maybe wdrt will pick it up with some juice in the battery??

I did try that! Not daft at all...will try anything at this point. However, it just keeps vibrating. I was able to shut it off with USB connected by holding Vol down/power for about a minute and left it for a few hours on quick charge. Start up was the same. I'm headed to MS store today, hopefully will just get it replaced!
Thank you!

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You might be able to install a generic driver so tha wdrt sees it.

Haven't tried this. I'll give it a go and see if I can find a driver under manual options. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: I have to admit I'm not sure how to do this. The device isn't showing up at all (no yellow ! on device manager).

Last edited:

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I brought the phone into a local MS store and they kindly replaced the phone. Thank you all for you suggestions and support!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes