Lumia 640 on wifi only

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a lumia 640 at Walmart, 30 dollars hard to turn down. I'm a android user so just wanted to check out windows 10, so I only need to use this on wifi only. I'm just wondering what I should do to get it working this way? Thanks!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't put the SIM in.

If your going to unlock thru AT&T don't turn it on yet.
Make the request first.

If your just wanting to use it right away full speed ahead and set the phone up totally on wi-fi only.

JennyTan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I have 1520 and also bought several 640 at 30$. One for watch Netflix, one browsing groove and youtub, and the others reading news, stocks. That way I can access video, news, music fast, don't have to switch between them. Sometimes I like to search on line at the same time on different phones and compare the results, it is like you look at different papers at the same time, no need to switch your objects on screen. Very efficient

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
So I just took out the Sim card and turned it on over wifi.. I'llet it charge a bit before playing with it

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I just took out the Sim card and turned it on over wifi.. I'llet it charge a bit before playing with it

I just got a $30 Lumia 640 on Saturday, on Sunday I put it on Insider Release Preview (most stable preview ring) and Windows 10 Mobile is running great.

Windows Insider (Phone) | Windows Central

For the best look at the future of Windows Phone I recommend it. Do a clean set up of the Insider install (no restore from backup) and then reset your device (Settings > System > About > Reset your phone) for the smoothest experience and to get the OS "settled in."

I'm really digging it.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I followed all the steps, on the last step of resetting it now.. Gears are in motion.. Lol

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Insider Release Preview and I selected to restore from backup and some things were not working correctly. I then did a hard reset and all has been good from there. Part way through the update with the gears whirring image it seemed to stall and nothing was happening. After leaving it for an hour or so I decided to turn it off and on and when it came back on the update installed and everything worked. Since then it has been about 4 days with everything working well and I am enjoying W10 quite a bit--lots of nice new features over WP8.1.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
So, I got an unlock code from at&t but in the email it says to insert a non at&t Sim. I'm on Verizon, so not sure what to do with the unlock code or if there really is any point unlocking it because I'm still going to just use it on wifi. Or can you unlock it without a Sim?

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
enter ##7820# in your dial pad

that will open the same screen as if you put in a non-ATT sim card. from there you can enter the unlock code

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've found a lot of uses for a 640 that's not on a carrier. I use it to miracast Netflix, Dailymotion, YouTube, etc. I also use it as a dedicated GPS and mp3 player in my car, play some games and occasionally take pics. What else can you get for $30 or $40 that can do all of that and do it very well? BTW, that's all on the latest insider preview.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon