Heat issue after updating (Build: 10.0.10586.107)

ceno666

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
New Lumia 950 Owner here.
After upgrading to latest Prod Release this device is getting extremely hot just by surfing and using some simple apps.
Is this "normal"?
I am pretty sure with the Retail Build there was no problem with heat, there was no change regarding installed apps after upgrade.
During idle or standby the 950 it stays cool.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the world of warm hands! Quite a well known issue on 950 and 950xl, despite the liquid cooling on the xl.

Have a browse or search these boards and you will find quite a bit about. My xl improved after firmware update, but still gets warm.

ceno666

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
ok thanks for the reply
i tried the insider preview as well and with this version running it gets warm (not hot) but poor performance.
With the current Prod Release it gets hot and performs a lot better.
At least i can choose, but this is not very satisfying :/

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
ok thanks for the reply
i tried the insider preview as well and with this version running it gets warm (not hot) but poor performance.
With the current Prod Release it gets hot and performs a lot better.
At least i can choose, but this is not very satisfying :/

.107 is probably the best of an unfinished job. I wonder, if like me, you feel the 950/xl should operate a damn sight faster? You have a hexacore, and I have the octacore, and yet, speed of boot and general swiping is a let down. Also, the constant blank app tiles in the app list is also a bit of a worry. They do appear but it seems like they have to be loaded!

When gaming or in an app, performance is more acceptable. Let's hope these issues get resolved soon

ceno666

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
.107 is probably the best of an unfinished job. I wonder, if like me, you feel the 950/xl should operate a damn sight faster? You have a hexacore, and I have the octacore, and yet, speed of boot and general swiping is a let down. Also, the constant blank app tiles in the app list is also a bit of a worry. They do appear but it seems like they have to be loaded!

When gaming or in an app, performance is more acceptable. Let's hope these issues get resolved soon

I have a iphone (only for mail and dedicated for work) and my private heavy use daily driver is a Galaxy S5.
Every now and then i try a Lumia (went through 920,930 and now 950)

Really trying to like the 950 and i currently use it daily instead the S5.
The S5 wins in almost all departments.
However, i will keep the 950 for some time and give it a chance.

What really bothers me seems to be all software related, so there is still hope:

- Speed, anything i do just feels not as fast or smooth compared to a S5...but cannot believe it is a hardware thing
- Heat since the upgrade
- Edge Browser, not bad but room for improvement
- my eyes would welcome need Night Screen mode or extreme dim light

MS please, you can do it! :)

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you have an att 950 then we haven't gotten the latest firmware or still on the .1004 os which is the most recent if your on the fast ring, cause that's what I'm on. Gaming gets warm obviously but some apps run your battery harder. If you use the same apps or have a constant routine and you noticed it's gotten warmer since the last update then most likely is was the most recent OS push.

Posted from my boss 950

ceno666

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Moved to fast ring, Version is now 10.0.14267.1004 and this is the best experience so far!
Now the scrolling and UI behaviour feels smooth, we reached acceptable level.
I begin to really like my Lumia :)

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If your device gets very warm, 99% of the time it's some app that gets caught in a loop.

Check battery saver and find out which app is causing the problem. For me it was usually Outlook Mail getting stuck on my Gmail account.

Then either reinstall the app or, in case of system apps like Outlook, remove and re add the problem causing mail account.

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Actually I used a fast insider upgrade and the 950 got really bad. Keeps on turning off, disconnecting and getting hot and other failing issues.
I downloaded the Recovery Tool program and recovered the 950 to original build. Believe it or not the phone is no longer heating up. Even when I charge it doesn't heat up. When I use the web and any app it doesn't heat up.
My battery life even is better now. It lasts me a full day. Before the recovery it wouldn't last half a day!
I recommend you recover to the original build and see what happens. You will not face heat issues.

I even have my apps working in the background. No heat problem.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the 10.0.10586.107 build. I have only had the phone for a few days, so I assume it came that way, unless it updated it at startup.

My batter life is lacking, and the phone stays warm pretty much all the time. At night, I'll plug it up and use the phone for email, facebook, etc. (I have to because it is almost dead), and it gets so hot it isn't comfortable to hold.

I was planning on taking it back to AT&T for an exchange, but if I can update it, that will be fine too. When I go to the phone update setting, it says I am up to date, even after telling it to check for updates. How do I get a different build? Or, is there something wrong with the hardware and I need to exchange it before my 14 days are up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2