Why am I having data problems?

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The problem started a few weeks ago. I would check my phone, and have no cellular connection. It was lost for over 4 hours a couple of times. This was happening about every other day. If I turned off my phone and turned it back on, 4 or 5 bars. Since I need a phone, at this point I am carrying my 950 and an old flip phone on a different number (my employer has both numbers). I went back to at&t, and they gave me a new SIM. Sure enough, on the second day I lost cellular connection. Knowing what at&t would have me do, I did a hard reset. All went well for one day, and then my contacts stopped syncing. They weren't there, and all I got were the dots scrolling across the screen. This was a Saturday night, so I planned to go to at&t again the next day. I checked, and my email, internet and voice were working, so I thought I was OK. Then I realized (someone complained) that I wasn't getting my text messages (remember, internet, email and voice were working but no contacts). I am thinking it sounds like a WM10 problem. Turned the phone off and on, and everything started working.

Back to at&t. Unfortunately, since it was no longer happening, they were useless. For my job, a phone is an absolute necessity. As a systems programmer, I been to be reachable 24/7. So I bought a cheap android phone so I could have a reliable phone and still get work texts and emails (tied to my primary number).

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so fixed it? My wife (a nurse) also needs to be reachable 24/7 and uses a 920 with WP8.1. I am concerned that she will have these issues when she gets upgraded to WM10. At&t is currently running a deal on Samsung Galaxy S7s, buy one get one free, and I am seriously considering the jump to the androids if I can not get this resolved. Although the android phone I am using now is not bad, I do prefer the WM10 OS. It is still a little rough around the edges, but such an beautiful OS.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
try google voice. You can set up a free account and have your calls and texts forwarded to your real phone number and email. It works like this:

1. (xxx) xxx-xxxx AT&T phone number
2. (aaa) aaa-aaaa Google voice number

Have people contact you at aaa-aaaa. The calls get forwarded to xxx-xxxx on your 950 and you pick up. If the 950 fails, the voicemails go to your gmail address. People text aaa-aaaa and it gets forwarded to xxx-xxxx on your 950. You respond on your 950 and it gets send back to them like normal. If your 950 fails, you can check your email and see your texts. You can respond to texts in your email and it gets sent back through texts like normal. You can get access to wifi and check emails on phone or computer and respond anywhere.

I had this set up when I had a hardware failure on my 1520 and the antenna was damaged. I lost AT&T signal and had to do this for 9 months.
Maybe you have a hardware issue and your antenna is damaged. Mine was physically chipped and cracked

BikeMrown

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I've dealt with this problem quite a bit. Randomly, my phone would drop all AT&T networking. There would be a No-Sim icon and the settings act like there is no sim card. I have to either restart or toggle airplane mode on and off and it will work. There is no error message or anything to signify when it happens, I just have to try to txt/call or use data and get the network failure to see the phone is in this state.

My release-day phone had a lot of problems with it. The sim was replaced and it continued. I had the device replaced and it went from pretty much daily (sometimes 203 times a day) to just once or twice per week now. My wife's release-day phone has not had the issue until the last few days. We keep firmware up to date and I've used both current public release of Windows 10 for Mobile and the Insider preview builds. No one can tell me if it is hardware or AT&T related.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Do u have a micro tower? When I go to low signal areas like 1 bar my att turns off for long periods. I'm not sure if this is to save battery so it's not actively scanning for a tower or not. If I do airplane mode it connects up. With a micro tower o have no issues. ATT sucks in ne ohio

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
An update. I got the new phone and set it up on Thursday night. Sunday, i lost my data connection, but not voice. So a week ago, I went back to at&t, paid $300 to get my line to upgrade staus, and got the 2 for 1 S7 deal. After a week with the phone, it seems to be working flawlessly. Compared to windows, it seems a little clumsy, but it works.

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That has happened to me. I have at&t. I stream music all day and then no service. I turn off and service comes back. Pretty stupid and hoping it goes away with an update.

Paul Tram

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This has also happened to me many times. To get the signal back, I make a call to someone (usually my wife) and hang up before it even starts ringing her phone. This seems to jump the sim or the system and gets my signal back in working order.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes