No Glance settings on Windows 10?

remco8264

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I no longer seem to have Glance settings on Windows 10 Mobile. I read suggestions to go to the Store (microsoft.com/nl-nl/store/apps/glance-screen/9wzdncrfj3ds), but is says ''This app isn't compatible with your device.'' Glance is still working, but I want to change the settings.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked in Settings for Glance? Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Notification Center, choose All Settings, then type Glance into the search box at the top of the screen. Does Glance Settings show up?

remco8264

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately not. Looking at the ''Extra'' settings, it seems other things are missing to. I'm wondering if I'm missing a firmware update, but it says there are no updates available.

wp_ss_20160316_0001.png
wp_ss_20160316_0002.png
wp_ss_20160316_0003.png

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem. I fixed it by reset by phone to factory settings.
I've done this a few times now. Something is not working, or missing, so I reset the phone and it fixes or re-appears.
Unfortunately, nearly always, something else stops working. I've gone back to WP8.1. That might be just my phone though.

remco8264

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Give it sometime, glance will eventually update to the WM10 compatible version letting you change the settings. If it doesn't then you'll have to manually install it. Let me find my shared folder with the installables for you.

Edit: Use this link to download the WM10 system apps.

Thanks, managed to install Glance but the update fails with error 0x803f8001.

deabloem

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Glance screen does work, even if it is a little buggy with icons not updating properly. But no settings to be found and app says that it's not available for my phone.
I did a hard reset before upgrading to 10 and did a hard reset after. I even did a soft reset to fix some lag issues. Didn't help for Glance screen settings. It's just not available.

I'm wondering if it maybe is a translation thing? I see OP is running dutch translation and so am I. Just a wild guess!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
After a hard reset have any of you restored from a back up?? I use a 950xl and had issues with glance. The app crashed all the time. I didn't restore and all the goodies came back. Pain in the butt, but sometimes a necessary evil.

deabloem

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
After a hard reset have any of you restored from a back up?? I use a 950xl and had issues with glance. The app crashed all the time. I didn't restore and all the goodies came back. Pain in the butt, but sometimes a necessary evil.

Nope, fresh install without restoring here.

And it's not a translation thing. Tried changing language and region. Don't know why it would be, but it was worth the try!

Wan Firas

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried update everything from the Store? I check Store update for three times before everything was properly updated. I noticed that Glance was updated through the Store. After the update, the font size matches with the lock screen.

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here.

I have a 640 dual-SIM. After I updated to W10M, glance was still in the Extras and it also received an update BUT, after I reset the phone to have a cleaner setup, glance disappeared from Extras and, to add insult to injury, I cannot install or update it from the store because it's listed as "not compatible"!!

The funny thing is that glance actually IS working, but I cannot find it anywhere in the settings page, so I cannot change any of its settings.

P.S. motion data also disappeared from Extras and is also listed as "not compatible".

deabloem

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried update everything from the Store? I check Store update for three times before everything was properly updated. I noticed that Glance was updated through the Store. After the update, the font size matches with the lock screen.

Yeah, everything else is updated. Glance is listed in my library under apps that 'don't work for this phone'. Going to the app itself in store shows the same. It just won't let us install or update it at all.

I assume and hope it is just a temporary bug and that it will be sorted eventually.

BobbyBec

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem on lumia 640.
How i fixed it .
Hard reset the phone.
When first load, go to store-settings and turn off update apps automatically.
Then check for updates manually.
Update glance and then will ask for restart , so restart .
Then repeat for motion data and then for touch.
Now i have them all working at the ''Extra'' settings.
Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

Frank Marczewski

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

i experienced the same issues.
I also upgraded via hard reset and the options for glance are gone for my Lumia 640 XL.

Is there a trick or fix to force update the gesture & touch app ?

Best Regards

Frank

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the glance AppX file through the link provided by pankaj981 and it does seem to have worked.

1. download the glance appx file.
2. open file explorer, go to the downloads folder, tap on the appx file and tap install. Since there is no feedback, you might think it didn't work but it does. Don't install it more than once.
3. go to Extras and see if glance is listed there. If so, open it and it should ask for a restart. Tap on restart.
4. after the phone boots up go to glance settings and check if everything is in place. You can keep or delete the appx file.
5. also, go to store and check for updates. There should be an update available for glance. It updated fine for me.

I have a dual-SIM 640.

If you're reading this MS (you're not), how about making sure your OS specific apps are listed as compatible in the store before releasing the OS to the masses, so that we won't have to go through such hoops just to fix a simple thing like this.

deabloem

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem on lumia 640.
How i fixed it .
Hard reset the phone.
When first load, go to store-settings and turn off update apps automatically.
Then check for updates manually.
Update glance and then will ask for restart , so restart .
Then repeat for motion data and then for touch.
Now i have them all working at the ''Extra'' settings.
Sorry for my bad English.

This worked for me! Thanks for the tip, BobbyBec!

I did a factory reset and turned off automatic updates in the store. Searched for updates and at first Glance did not show up. I kept looking for updates and the second time it showed up. After a few more searches Touch and Motion showed up as well. I just kept searching until no other updates were found (54 in total for me). I then manually installed the system apps and restarted after each one. Then manually installed all other apps and left Store for last, just to be on the safe side. Now everything is installed and working!

Frank Marczewski

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have tried that with the manual installation, but that didn't work.
Maybe i tried installing it two times, cause it didn't seem to work as you said and that triggered some failure.
What i have done now is the following:

1. Installed the Windows Device Recovery Tool
2. Resetted my phone again, resulting in a plain Lumia Denim 8.1 ? I didn't expected that *lol*
3. Deactivated auto update through the store.
4. Installed Upgrade Advisor again.
5. Updated manually through Upgrade Advisor and searched for updates.
6. Now back @ 164 Build, options came back again and working.

And yes why they release such a mess is quite unclear to me.
Now we have multiple solutions ? Or random lucky picks for a problem that actually should not exist.

Thanks anyway.

Best Regards

Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb