What happened to the 640, color it GONE

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
All of a sudden the 640 (aside from Cricket) has dissappeared. I don't even see it on the Microsoft Store website. WalMart had hundreds of them and now NONE. Has it been put in hiding to try to push the 650 (needs all the help it can get), or is it still in production?

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
My guess is that they are liquidating to move the 650 into place. Also, the price on the AT&T variant has dropped to the point where they are likely getting snatched up quickly ($30, here in the US anyway).

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get it. Why would you buy a 650 for 199$ when you can get (based on the high price of 49$) four 640's for the same thing. No one from Microsoft or Windows Central wants to do a side by side review to see if the 650 (aside from looks) is as good or better than the 640. As I own two 640's, I would like to know. Everyone is MUTE. Whats the deal? Is it time to change my Avatar. I just got a Alcatel Idol 3, great midrange phone and priced at under 200$. I waited as long as I could for a midrange Windows phone and it never came. And PLEASE don't calll the 650 a midrange. Maybe a high low end.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's a good question.
I actually bought a 640 to fill the time before the 650 arrives, but after doing some reading, I may stick with the 640.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of 640 owners are thinking the same thing you and I are thinking. Does Microsoft think we are that dumb, or are they that dumb. When they came out with the 640 I said to myself, maybe their is hope for Windows phone after all. This is a great phone for the money. Maybe the best value their is in a phone. And now they are going to replace it with a phone that might not be any better; but costs four times as much. I am beginning to think that is the reason they have not pushed out the W10 upgrade for the 640, thinking people will buy the 650 because it has W10 and the 640 owners are still waiting. Not I.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My $30 640 unlocked AT&T Go phone is running Redstone 14295 without issues so I can't think of any reason I would pay so much more for a 650.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Coming from a T-Mobile US perspective, keep in mind that those 640's were wiped off the fact of the earth very quickly. I remember looking back in the fall and unless I wanted to risk an eBay purchase, I could not find that 640 anywhere.

Now imagine you're a TMo user who doesn't know anything about AT&T phone unlocking / debranding, and want a decent BAND 12 Windows phone. Your only option, assuming Tmo eventually offers it, is the 650. So I don't think it's so much MS treating us like idiots, it's more that MS doesn't necessarily want users hacking those ridiculously cheap clearance 640's.

EDIT: Wasn't aware of the Alcatel (BAND 12 Tmo Windows phone). Still, no 640 anymore, hasn't been for many months now.

Last edited:

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Is this the case at all Wal Marts?

US Walmart's have had the AT&T branded / locked 640's for $30 for a while now. Fairly easy to unlock however (ie. to use on T-Mobile), there are several threads about that. Debranding is a bit more complex, but is also possible, ie. to actually enable BAND 12 support.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Remembering back when those of us that wanted the T-Mobile 640 were made to suffer through a 6 month wait for the damn phone after the announcement.
I spent 3 days searching the WalMart's in this area for the $99.00 dollar T-Mo 640 :(

Why do I end up torturing myself with this cheap upgrade mania?
Color me a cheapskate dummy :grin:

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
It looks like Best Buy still has them available to order online.

Of course, the 640 was not $29 when first released. It was over $100. But, I think the 640 was more of an upgrade from the 635 than the 650 is from the 640. I don't plan on getting a 650 at all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is interesting and strange to me all at once. Even B&H Photo now only have 640s in white and orange. Blue and black have been discontinued (this goes for the regular 640, not the XL one of it). Welp.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The orange ones are cool. Got 2 of them!! White sucks, hence why they still have them

Lol. Orange isn't bad, I am just surprised that the black was discontinued. The blue is more interesting to me over the orange but I just don't understand this.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Remembering back when those of us that wanted the T-Mobile 640 were made to suffer through a 6 month wait for the damn phone after the announcement.
I spent 3 days searching the WalMart's in this area for the $99.00 dollar T-Mo 640 :(

Why do I end up torturing myself with this cheap upgrade mania?
Color me a cheapskate dummy :grin:
I remember that too. I'll also admit that I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to phones. I could afford a more expensive device but I don't see the point when a $100-200 device will do everything I need, not to mention I don't have to worry about dropping a $700 device every time I use it lol

T-Mobile baffles me at times. They dropped the 640 like a hot potato yet they are obviously not anti windows phone as you can still get the 435, not to mention they got the Alcatel.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of 640 owners are thinking the same thing you and I are thinking. Does Microsoft think we are that dumb, or are they that dumb. When they came out with the 640 I said to myself, maybe their is hope for Windows phone after all. This is a great phone for the money. Maybe the best value their is in a phone. And now they are going to replace it with a phone that might not be any better; but costs four times as much. I am beginning to think that is the reason they have not pushed out the W10 upgrade for the 640, thinking people will buy the 650 because it has W10 and the 640 owners are still waiting. Not I.
I wonder if it does get stocked by a local carrier if it will still be $199 though. It may well be less although still not the bargain the 640 is currently going for.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if it does get stocked by a local carrier if it will still be $199 though. It may well be less although still not the bargain the 640 is currently going for.

I'm wondering the same thing - wouldn't surprise me if we see $139 or $150 prices, once they start showing up.

And it's not like the 640 price drop was a normal thing. I remember getting the 635 for $100 and I thought that was a steal. But $30 for the 640 leaves that in the dust. I think it's so cheap that people think there's a catch to it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05