AT&T approving unlocks for the 640 but not giving unlock code

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes you read correctly; I - and if you go on AT&T community forums - everyone else who has been approved for a device unlock for the Lumia 640 as an AT&T non-mobility customer, have been sent emails with instructions on how to unlock our 640's with the provided unlock code... However there is no unlock code contained in the email, just a blank field. They're doing it to all 640's judging from the amount of posts and complaints.

This is just a heads up If you were thinking of grabbing an AT&T Lumia 640 and having it unlocked.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
With the 640 being $29 now I'm sure they have a lot of unlock requests, and I'm also sure that this is a measured tactic so that people will just give up on trying to get a code out of them and activate the phone on AT&T; once you do that it's locked to AT&T for 6 months which equals more revenue. They know what they're doing. Shady stuff.

Last edited:

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
This may apply to all Gophones, All I know is that the AT&T community forums are plastered with people getting blank unlock codes the past week and pissed. I wouldn't try and buy a gophone unless I was already a an AT&T customer (which I never will be now). Sprint and AT&T are now the carriers to avoid.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd try and call ATT customer support with the IMEI and Unlock Request #s on hand for reference. The number should be in the email.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
After making a stink on the AT&T forum @attmobilitycare finally got back to me and said they'd get the code to me as "quickly as possible" so we'll see how it goes. I'm not much for calling any type of customer service and explaining myself over and over again to a succession of different agents, being put on hold, hung up on etc...
In the meantime I swapped out the LCD display, battery, and back cover onto my older T-Mobile 640, and - POOF - I have a Brand new black unlocked T-Mobile 640 :winktongue: I spruce up my old unlocked T-Mobile 640 that's not even sold anymore, or maybe I'll even gain another unlocked 640. Either way I made out. Maybe I'll even buy another one so I can refurbish it again in another year or so.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Within the past 4 or 5 days? The att forums are plastered with complaints about this. I unlocked an ATT Zmax 2 last month no problem. This is something new they just started doing.

No, it was a couple weeks ago. My point is, why would they send out an unlock approved email missing the code if it was a nefarious policy decision? Send more likely a problem in one of their systems.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue, but I noticed the reference number was NUL614060269213. I expected to try again on monday. Surprise! Approved! No code, of course.

Waiting on the resubmit now, however I wasn't holding out hope on something that started with NUL.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I also had the reference # starting with NUL. I resubmitted this morning and got a reference # not starting in "NUL"and the unlock code was sent to me in a matter of a few hours.

Resubmit your request and you should e good to go.

EDIT: Actually looking at the email with the unlock code, I see that after I sent a private message to @attmobilitycare they actually looked into my original request (the one with the "NUL" request number) and issued the unlock code. So resubmitting did nothing. Private message @attmobilitycare, but also leave a post in the "wireless lounge" where they can see it. It will take day or 2. Good luck!

Last edited:

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I had this same issue last year with an 830 and never got any help even when posting on their forums.. Luckily you did.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil. They just want you to go away. I had an AT&T employee on the forum there kept telling me I needed 6 months of service to get my phone unlocked - even though I never activated the phone and a "non-mobility customer". He was posting screenshots of the unlocking policy with drawn in red arrows, pointing to wrong/irrelevant sections and what not. I finally had enough and posted my own screenshot UNLOCK.jpg

And he got really bent out of shape and nasty when I posted a pic of my AT&T Lumia 640 with a T-Mobile signal since AT&T had sent me the unlock code as he was in the midst of listing the reasons why I wasn't eligible for an unlock

ghghjghh.jpg

The moderator had to close the thread after that. Maybe I need help, but that was loads fun and the best laugh I've had in a long long time. Fight the power! :grin:

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes you read correctly; I - and if you go on AT&T community forums - everyone else who has been approved for a device unlock for the Lumia 640 as an AT&T non-mobility customer, have been sent emails with instructions on how to unlock our 640's with the provided unlock code... However there is no unlock code contained in the email, just a blank field. They're doing it to all 640's judging from the amount of posts and complaints

This is just a heads up If you were thinking of grabbing an AT&T Lumia 640 and having it unlocked.

got my email today with the code

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So is it working again? Are people getting unlock codes?
I feel I should buy a spare 640 just because

A. It's $30 and a little beast of a phone at a steal
B. Given how bad I break my phones, it may be good to have for a just in case.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tried to get another unlock code... got this

"We're sorry, but we're having technical difficulties with our network at the moment. Please try again later.
If this problem persists, try clearing the cache and cookies from your device.
Questions? Call us at 800.331.0500 , or dial 611 from your wireless phone"

Will try again tomorrow...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got this email...

Which is different from the usual email:

We're waiting for your confirmation
IMEI:
Request number:

Hi, Andre.
Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your device.

Please confirm the request within the next 24 hours, or the request will be canceled.

For more information about unlocking a device, check out our device unlock support page.

Thanks for choosing us,
AT&T

It even came from a different email address than normally

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon