A few questions about my new XL..

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey All

I just ordered my XL today, I originally got an S6 edge plus, but I now realise the S6 hasnt changed my dislike for TW or android and O2 UK allow you to swap the device so.. Im going for the XL...

I was just curious how the XL is performing now after the rocky and bugged start Win 10 had.. Is it "daily Driver" usable on the XL. I know the latest 164 build on the 1520 is very stable,, how about the XL..

Im in UK and my XL is unlocked, so do we UK users get any addons like a wireless charger, the Continuum dongle or 1 year of Office.. like other regions.

Please share your opinions folks :).

Thanks.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
On o2 bought end of February ,no problems for me comes with the fast charger and a usb cable ,no continuum dock,free office when you click on lumia offer app ,I use the wireless charger I had with my 1020,couple of reboots ,not on insider ,nice phone

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
On o2 bought end of February ,no problems for me comes with the fast charger and a usb cable ,no continuum dock,free office when you click on lumia offer app ,I use the wireless charger I had with my 1020,couple of reboots ,not on insider ,nice phone

Thats encouraging to read... I know the big issue release devices had was the empty "Resume" screen. Even though Im on O2 UK, I actually bought mine from Carphone Warehouse... which means Unlocked and Unbranded.. so be interesting to see what arrives with it tomorrow.. thanks for the heads up about Office, I still use 2007, so itll be nice to have an updated version :)

Is the Camera as good as the reviews say?, also what about the ringtone volume.. is it reasonably loud?

atrsh

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Camera? Absolutely. Ringtone? pretty loud. Sounds good too. I have both iphone 6S and 950XL so I'm think I'm not bias when I say the 950XL is a good phone. Pop in the sim first before using the Lumia Offer app. You might be able to claim the free 1 year sub Office 365.

Edit: owh btw, I think the Display dock offer has already ended. You can try ask CPW if they have any extra left. Mine took almost 2 months to arrive. LOL

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The camera is great, I come from a 1020 and 930 and this takes the most consistently excellent shots of the three.
Ever since build .164 the phone has been great. Just updated to .218 today and so far so good... But many of the early builds (.29) were pretty bad. This phone has been great. Ringtone vol is fine - even with a case I keep it at level 6.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
This is my first Windows phone. I moved over from Android. I love it. Very happy with it and the camera is excellent. My only complaint is that there were some apps I had on Android that are not available from Microsoft.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies.. Really looking forward to it arriving after reading these positive posts :).. Its nice to know MS are pushing hard to make it great and that its running nicely.

Although I dont hold much stock in YouTube reviews, when they all say the same thing about bugs and crashes.. then you know somethings up Before the S6 +, I had a G4 and both of these phones are considered the best Android has to offer in terms of Camera and battery life and the only device that rivalled them was the 1020, 930 and my trusty 1520, so the only logical choice for me was an XL.

Are you getting good battery as well now?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is solid. There are tiny quirks in the OS but the phone itself is an excellent experience. Windows Hello just works! Yesterday's update was the best so far. Majority of the bugs are now fixed for me.

Sent from a cave with WiFi

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I took off from charger this morning at 7am. It is 1pm right now. I have lost 18% so far. I have played 2 battles in AoE, I have browsed Reddit on my way to work and I have also replied emails as well as WCentral posts via apps.

Sent from a cave with WiFi

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
That sounds awesome... thanks

Just unpacked it... Oh its gorgeous :) and contrary to what ive read.. I dont think it feels cheap in the hand and, in response to what ive read, I cant find any creaks in the back battery door, Yes, speaker is nice and loud with no sympathetic resonances (buzzing at certain frequencies) and the new MS ringtones actually arent bad either even though I use my own.. but nice to have a change from the NOKIA ones.

Nice thing is... Its updating straight to the new 218 build from 29, so i dont have to sit for hours updating and restarting time and time again, unlike Android..

Sadly, there was no continuum dongle in the box, just the phone, manual, wall charger and USB 3 cable.. Oh well :). Maybe I can get one from CPW.

Ill keep you all posted as to how my 1st few days goes.. but so far.. Its looking good..:)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, there was no continuum dongle in the box, just the phone, manual, wall charger and USB 3 cable.. Oh well :). Maybe I can get one from CPW.

Use the Lumia Offers app. When you register, you should get the offer of the free Continuum dock - you'll get a code that you redeem through the Microsoft Store.

You should also get a free year of Office 365 though the same app.

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
When I first got mine, it came up with error when trying to update to .164. I tried several times, even updating firmware and reset using wdrt. I was bummed thinking i would have to send it back (this was my 2nd 950xl but first dual sim model) Then I updated everything in the app store because I noticed some updates to phone system apps. After that was done, I tried updating to .164 and it worked !! It has been working ever since, about 2 weeks now. Updating to .218 was hassle free for me. Love the phone. Plays Star Wars 7 very nicely :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes yes yes! It rocks especially with .218 update. It's great hardware, considered the best one with the 810 chip. Notebookcheck compared it to other devices on 810 and it is the only one that losses barely any performance when the chip heats up. All others lose quite a bit up to 40%.

As new updates for windows 10 come out, performance keeps getting better. I use it daily and definitely recommend it. I use it all the time too. It's my main PC in continuum mode for the entire day and use it as a phone the rest of the day. I'm constantly on it.

I still RDP into another computer with Continuum because not all my apps still support continuum, but a big amount have already come out that do. I'm just a few apps away from not having to have to RDP at all. Though edge browser is in severe need of an ad blocker because it can get slow on sites with lots of ad content etc. But most sites do run well. So I guess RDP will still be needed for some browsing. I use opera for windows 10 right now with adblock plus and it's great.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That sounds awesome... thanks

Just unpacked it... Oh its gorgeous :) and contrary to what ive read.. I dont think it feels cheap in the hand and, in response to what ive read, I cant find any creaks in the back battery door, Yes, speaker is nice and loud with no sympathetic resonances (buzzing at certain frequencies) and the new MS ringtones actually arent bad either even though I use my own.. but nice to have a change from the NOKIA ones.

Nice thing is... Its updating straight to the new 218 build from 29, so i dont have to sit for hours updating and restarting time and time again, unlike Android..

Ill keep you all posted as to how my 1st few days goes.. but so far.. Its looking good..:)

Many cheap ones are going off on eBay. Have a look for dongles on eBay - better deal than CPW mostly. I got an extra one off eBay for work. Kept free one at home.

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, in The US mine came with fast charger, type c cable and EARBUDS.
Originally posted by NightOrchid
Hey All

I just ordered my XL today, I originally got an S6 edge plus, but I now realise the S6 hasnt changed my dislike for TW or android and O2 UK allow you to swap the device so.. Im going for the XL...

I was just curious how the XL is performing now after the rocky and bugged start Win 10 had.. Is it "daily Driver" usable on the XL. I know the latest 164 build on the 1520 is very stable,, how about the XL..

Im in UK and my XL is unlocked, so do we UK users get any addons like a wireless charger, the Continuum dongle or 1 year of Office.. like other regions.

Please share your opinions folks :).

Thanks.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes yes yes! It rocks especially with .218 update. It's great hardware, considered the best one with the 810 chip. Notebookcheck compared it to other devices on 810 and it is the only one that losses barely any performance when the chip heats up. All others lose quite a bit up to 40%.

As new updates for windows 10 come out, performance keeps getting better. I use it daily and definitely recommend it. I use it all the time too. It's my main PC in continuum mode for the entire day and use it as a phone the rest of the day. I'm constantly on it.

I still RDP into another computer with Continuum because not all my apps still support continuum, but a big amount have already come out that do. I'm just a few apps away from not having to have to RDP at all. Though edge browser is in severe need of an ad blocker because it can get slow on sites with lots of ad content etc. But most sites do run well. So I guess RDP will still be needed for some browsing. I use opera for windows 10 right now with adblock plus and it's great.

Does Opera mobile sync your bookmarks and tabs?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Does Opera mobile sync your bookmarks and tabs?

Sorry I don't use opera mobile. Just the windows 10 version. I RDP to my windows 10 box. There's no real alternative to edge for mobile. Opera is built for windows 8.1. Although hoping the newest redstone build has improvements with edge. The amount of features that were just released is enough to get me to go on the redstone build.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
So after 24 hrs....

I love my XL.. Yes Its true.. Its great.. easily the best device Ive bought this year so far.. even over the 1520, the G4, the S6 edge+ and the Xperia Z5 Premium. The camera is fantastic, easily as good as the S6.. sometimes the images can be a liitle noisey in shadows when zooming into the image, even with an increased ISO, but nothing to worry about, but this might get fixed in an camera app update

The OS itself (build:218) is fast and fluid, however, there are a few minor bugs and issues such as apps taking 1 - 2 seconds to open ie a "Just a moment" screen, the odd app crash, app lock up or force close (which i expected anyway) and general stutter of the OS.. but nothing to get worried about that Ive wasted my money or anything :).
I do also occasionally get the Wifi crash and log off, but its not nearly as bad as some folk are getting.. so im quite lucky.. I use a TPLINK 600N.

Its a lovely device to use and the 2 stage shutter button is just a light tap.. The volume up/down/ power keys are placed very strange and they do have sharp edges on them.. so theyll take getting used too.

Rear speaker is loud and has good audio as well for a single speaker, back cover is solid enough with no creaking (for me anyway) and its just a great package.

The earpiece is very clear and loud and the touch screen can be a little on the sensitive side at times, but its bright, clear and vivid.

Its a one of those devices I find I just keep taking out of my pocket to look at as its just a thing of beauty.. I have also turned a few heads with it as its quite rare to see a 950 and especially an XL, and I like having something different and unique, especially when its as good as the XL...

For me personnally, the lack of apps is not an issues as WIndows store has everything i need for me to enjoy Windows without any issues, of course, it would be great to see more apps on the store like IOS or Android.. but I like the Security having a closed OS gives, so Ide rather keep Windows Phone the way it is than have MS buckle and make it Andoid apps compatible.. includng No side loading..

I can really recommend the 950XL.. its great fun to use..

I downloaded the Lumia Gifts App and got my 1 year of Office 365, but sadly, they discontinued the free Continuum offer at least here in the UK..

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Great to see positive thoughts here. Sorry to see that the Display Dock offer has now closed - I'd recommend taking a look on eBay as you might find some brand new docks being sold there (seems obvious that people would claim the free items and then sell it to offset the cost of the phone).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes