Quick charge on Lumia 950

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Is there something to do to activate "Quick-charge" on the Lumia 950? Or is it automatic? I just replaced my Lumia 930 with a Lumia 950 and the time to charge the 950 is almost longer than the 930!

As it is new, perhaps should I do some charges before to reach a conclusion, but last charge (from ~11% to 100%) time was 2h30-3h00! It took at least 1h to reach 50%.

Thx for any tip.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the charger that came with the phone? You need to be using the quick charging charger that came with the phone for quick charging to work.

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the charger that came with the phone?
Of course.
Something strange is that when I plug the charger to the phone, even if the power outlet is still not plugged to the wall socket, the phone plays the usual small sound indicating that it charges... and replays it every 10 sec approx. Like if there was some residual power in the charger transformer... Don't know...

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
In fact, how much time you Lumia 950 owners do you need on average to charge (full) your phone?
I've read some articles talking about 1h30 approx.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
In fact, how much time you Lumia 950 owners do you need on average to charge (full) your phone?
I've read some articles talking about 1h30 approx.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. I regularly make a 40 minute drive and that usually gets me around +60%.

There is a huge difference in using a normal charger vs a rapid charger. If yours isn't going any quicker you may need to do a hard reset/upgrade firmware/etc.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My 950 seems to charge quite fast, faster than the 930 I had before. However, I have run into an issue when charging wireless. When using the Nokia DT900 Qi charger, if the battery is very low on the L950, it will repeatedly keep playing the sound it would normally make when you plug a regular charger into it. So basically if the phone is completely flat, it will vibrate when put on the charger, and then every few seconds it will do the same again, it never gets enough charge to stop doing this. Likewise if the battery is low, but the phone is still on i.e. not completely flat, the same issue occurs.

It did charge normally with the Qi charger a few times though, but I think this is when it had quite a bit of power left in the battery. I haven't played with it too much as I need it to charge overnight, and can't risk waking up to a dead/flat phone in the morning. I will probably have a play at the weekend and see what's going on.

Last edited:

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
However, I have run into an issue when charging wireless. When using the Nokia DT900 Qi charger, if the battery is very low on the L950, it will repeatedly keep playing the sound it would normally make when you plug a regular charger into it. So basically if the phone is completely flat, it will vibrate when put on the charger, and then every few seconds it will do the same again, it never gets enough charge to stop doing this. Likewise if the battery is low, but the phone is still on i.e. not completely flat, the same issue occurs.

I've been using this off-brand wireless charger and it's worked perfectly every time, including from a completely dead battery. Charge to full takes ~3 hours.

Only bad thing I have to say is that the thing oscillates a blue glow which is annoying at night. I've switched from using it on my nightstand to using it at my desk and it's been perfect.

Archeer Qi Wireless Charging Pad

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find where I read this, but I think I read that the fast charging will charge up to 50% in 30 minutes. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a full charge in 60 minutes, but fast charging gets you to 50% very quickly. Does anyone else remember where this is documented?

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I cannot find where I read this, but I think I read that the fast charging will charge up to 50% in 30 minutes. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a full charge in 60 minutes, but fast charging gets you to 50% very quickly. Does anyone else remember where this is documented?

The MS Lumia 950 page quotes 50% in 30 mins with an asterisk. Not sure where or if it says that you won't get it to full in 60 minutes, but I think it's pretty industry standard knowledge that the last 10%-20% or so takes longer for most phones.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
That was my understanding too, first 50% is very quick, but the remainder not so much, which is fine with me.

Going back to the wireless charging issue I mentioned earlier, it did this with both the standard back cover and also with a Mozo leather backed cover, so maybe I have an issue with my phone. I have another Qi charger, so I'll try that and see if that makes any difference.

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I've tried to put first the power transformer of the cable to the wall socket and then connect the usb-c of the cable to the phone and... it worked!
Very strange. Question: if you connect the usb-c to the phone WITHOUT connecting to the wall socket, do you also have the small sound announcing the charge (although it shouldn't) ? (I'm still trying to figure out if my charge cable could be partially defective)

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've tried to put first the power transformer of the cable to the wall socket and then connect the usb-c of the cable to the phone and... it worked!
Very strange. Question: if you connect the usb-c to the phone WITHOUT connecting to the wall socket, do you also have the small sound announcing the charge (although it shouldn't) ? (I'm still trying to figure out if my charge cable could be partially defective)

I'm having the same exact issue with my wall charger. Been having my L950 for a month, and the wall charger is suffering from all the symptoms yours is too... charging sound every 10 seconds while phone lights up when idle; plugging in charger to phone and getting charging sound even though the charger itself isn't plugged in. It has to be a defective charger. I have my phone through AT&T, and they couldn't even do a warranty exchange for the charger because apparently these chargers aren't sold separately. Gotta contact Microsoft to get a new one, and they're closed until Monday. Sheesh.

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue with my wall charger. Been having my L950 for a month, and the wall charger is suffering from all the symptoms yours is too... charging sound every 10 seconds while phone lights up when idle; plugging in charger to phone and getting charging sound even though the charger itself isn't plugged in. It has to be a defective charger. I have my phone through AT&T, and they couldn't even do a warranty exchange for the charger because apparently these chargers aren't sold separately. Gotta contact Microsoft to get a new one, and they're closed until Monday. Sheesh.
Or this behaviour is "normal"... I've received an answer from Lumia support saying that their Lumia 950 had the same behaviour!! And telling me that it's not a sign that the cable is defective.
I suppose best to do is connecting the cable to wall socket first and stop worrying...

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am on the Fast Ring and since I switched my fast charger doesn't seem to work at all anymore. I plugged the charger into the phone at around 10%. I came back a little while later (expecting it to be quite juiced up...) only to find a dead phone. I am using the microsoft charger that came with the phone. Up to this point my charger has worked flawlessly.
Two possibilities:
1. the latest redstone is screwing this up (anybody else???)
2. My charger bit the dust.

My phone will charge on the Qi charger, no problem. It also charges fine on my car charger, and when plugged into a computer.

FiJPM

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello
Just got the L950 yesterday and I do have Nokia DT-910. OK I placed the phone to the charger and phone did gave me sound indication and charger led was ledup. However, in the morning it only had charged the phone up to 76%.
In 7 hours... So either the DT-910 is not powerfull enough or Mozo is not the best QI receptor. Any other L950/DT-910 combinations is use - does it work for you?
Cheers
Jussi
Edit
As I have two DT units in tried the other one that has not been used so much and it works. Strange

Last edited:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My 950 does not charge well with either my DT910 or DT900, regardless of whether I use the Mozo case or the standard one.

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot! But I'm wondering if is this behavior a L950 thing or a problem with W10M. It's quite odd that you have to connect the wall socket first. I am sure this gets a lot of people annoyed that don't know this and is probably one reason for a lot of people to give a bad review about the phone.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
About using with Qi charger, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I think the coils in the phone have to line up with those on the charger otherwise it won't charge well. And I think the 950s are in a different place than say my 928. Search around the forum for more info. I ended up getting a Qi Infinity folding charger and it seems to work. But even that I try to make sure it is centered horizontally when I put it on the stand.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like the charger is whack. Especially if it's playing the charging sound when it's not even plugged in to the power outlet. Try a replacement

grayskale

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi!
Is there something to do to activate "Quick-charge" on the Lumia 950? Or is it automatic? I just replaced my Lumia 930 with a Lumia 950 and the time to charge the 950 is almost longer than the 930!

As it is new, perhaps should I do some charges before to reach a conclusion, but last charge (from ~11% to 100%) time was 2h30-3h00! It took at least 1h to reach 50%.

Thx for any tip.

I have the same issue with the original charger - but i manage to trigger quick charge (which is 25% to 100% in 1 hour) by plugging in the charger to the wall socket, turning it on first - THEN plugging it to the phone.

Turning on the charger AFTER plugging it to the phone results in slow charging (like yours 50% in 1 hour).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes