Best way to setup new Lumia 950 on AT&T? WDRT & Hard reset?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm getting a L950 device replacement from AT&T (Asurion) for my old L830. What is the best way to setup the new phone on AT&T? They are sending me a new SIM so I can go activate this in store or over the phone.

Should I use the WDRT first once I turn on the phone and reset back to whatever Production build and firmware is available? I don't plan to restore a backup as I want to do a fresh install. As far as I've heard the new firmware with the DTTW update is still not available from AT&T on WDRT but maybe I'll get lucky. For now I plan to keep the phone with a minimum clean install without too many apps for the 1st week or two so I can hard reset again once the Anniversary Update and new firmware finally arrive from MS & AT&T.

Any other tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks! :smile:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the AT&T one, I have the unlocked model. I didn't hard reset, I just logged in and installed whatever update was available. Haven't had any issues. Of course, you are welcome to do what you wish.

Based on my experience with other W10M phones, it might not even make a difference.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I did the same replacement as you about a week ago. I let the OS update and did a restore of my backup rather than a clean install. I spoke to the tech people about this decision and went with the restore. Everything's been running fine.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So last night I tried WDRT 1st and there was no new software or firmware available. Figured as much. Then I tried setting it up with a restore backup since I didn't have time to clean install everything and probably going to do another hard reset once the Anniversary Update & new firmware from AT&T comes out.

The restore was a disaster! The backup never gave me a working start screen with pinned tiles. It was only the app folder list with my wallpaper background and nothing else. Never seen that happen before. Something went wrong with the restore. So I hard reset it again and started all over with a clean install. Then finally updated to the latest cumulative update 10586.545. :asleep:

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I highly recommend just starting with a clean slate when setting up your new phone. I tried restoring to an old backup previously and it ended up with poor results. The hard reset did the trick in fixing the slowness, battery drain, and overheating.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to do a clean install but only restore contacts, call log and text messages? I can setup from new my e-mails and don't mind downloading apps and games one by one. I am getting a 950 today from assurion for warranty from an HTC One m8.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to do a clean install but only restore contacts, call log and text messages? I can setup from new my e-mails and don't mind downloading apps and games one by one. I am getting a 950 today from assurion for warranty from an HTC One m8.

To my knowledge the call log history will never come back. Not sure why but I've never seen it come over to a new device or after a hard reset. Contacts and text messages should be tied to your MS account. Go into your text message app on your old phone and in settings make sure Sync messages between devices is turned on. Then on the new phone they should come back. You might have to turn this setting on again on the new phone. Good luck!

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm this. Call history does not come back but SMS history does come back. E-mails will also be tied to your e-mail account so those will sync once you set up your ms account on your phone. Just be sure to choose NOT to restore to a previous backup. You'll be happy you set up your phone this way. :)

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm I've got an 830 with at&t as well but my wife recently upgraded to a 950 and I now want one lol. What happened to y'all 's phone that made you have to get the replacement? Maybe I can "duplicate" the results somehow lol

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm I've got an 830 with at&t as well but my wife recently upgraded to a 950 and I now want one lol. What happened to y'all 's phone that made you have to get the replacement? Maybe I can "duplicate" the results somehow lol

Do you have the AT&T device insurance? My 830 was still running okay but had occasional screen flicker issues and the battery was old so I called Asurion and asked them for a replacement and they offered me the 950 for $62. :smile:

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried to do a system restore from my AT&T 1020 to my AT&T 950 restore and got locked onto the app list, no start screen. So yeah, I think fresh install/hard reset is the way to go if you like a phone that, well, does stuff.

AT&T has a contact transfer tool that works... all right. It took forever and only got about 80% over, but it's better than nothing.

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Well called and asked about it but since I'm an employee I was going to have to pay 175 for a replacement. So I just did my upgrade and got a new one. Loving it so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss